OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby Lewis » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:00 pm

Lewis Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:00 pm
calus wrote:
yalbaiz wrote:I have already purchased a perpetual license of Redshift which gives me access to all future updates and access to all 3D software rendering plugins they have available including C4D at no extra charge.

No, that's not true.
To get access to all future Redshift version you need to renew the annual maintenance for $250 /year ....

But there is one important difference, when you get Redshift you get permanent license + 1 year maintenance but you don't go back to older version if you stop paying maintenence, you get to KEEP latest version you payed up to date (since license is perpetual) with maintenance (same like modo, substance and few other have). Basically it is more "Rent to Own system" not Rent only as Adobe/Autodesk and currently Octane.
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:16 pm

calus Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:16 pm
Lewis wrote:
calus wrote:
yalbaiz wrote:I have already purchased a perpetual license of Redshift which gives me access to all future updates and access to all 3D software rendering plugins they have available including C4D at no extra charge.

No, that's not true.
To get access to all future Redshift version you need to renew the annual maintenance for $250 /year ....

But there is one important difference, when you get Redshift you get permanent license + 1 year maintenance but you don't go back to older version if you stop paying maintenence, you get to KEEP latest version you payed up to date (since license is perpetual) with maintenance (same like modo, substance and few other have). Basically it is more "Rent to Own system" not Rent only as Adobe/Autodesk and currently Octane.

Believe me, Reshift annual maintenance model is one of the worst :
if you don't renew the maintenance for one year because you don't use it this year or because the last version included in your maintenance is enough,
but if thenyou want to renew maintenance to get the last version, you still have to pay for 2 years of annual maintenance (so even for the year you didn't use it).

But let's don't derail this thread ...
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Lewis » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 pm

Lewis Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 pm
calus wrote:if you don't renew the maintenance for one year because you don't use it this year or because the last version included in your maintenance is enough,
but if thenyou want to renew maintenance to get the last version, you still have to pay for 2 years of annual maintenance (so even for the year you didn't use it).

But let's don't derail this thread ...

yes i understand that BUT at least you can use your latest maintence version.

Imagine using octane for v2018 and v 2019 and then you for some reason can't pay maintenance for next 6 months or year and then you go back to v4. By that effectively means you can't open your files anymore, your scenes/projects will not render same/correct or at All if you used v2018 and v2019 octane features and now you are out of luck 'coz v4 don't have those so you can't render/use your files build in last year or two.

That is the main issue with Rental only systems like Adobe/Autodes/ currently Octane is doing.

But luckily Jules announced they will bring back perpetual/rent to own version of Octane so let's hope all this will be in the past/non issue anymore.
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cyrillweiss » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:38 pm

cyrillweiss Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:38 pm
Hi Goldorak / Jules

Why is it important for me to have a perpetual license (or rent-to-own):
My concern is what Lewis has pointed out. If for example the pipeline has been changed and a year later would like to render from an old project a picture for references, it would be necessary to get into the maintenance again.

What I already have accepted, but is still something which is bugging me far more: what is, when in a worst case scenario Otoy suddenly goes bankrupt or whatever reason (hostile takeover) there would be, to shutdown the servers with our licenses, we can't use octane render. I had a bad experience with an accounting software, which was subscription based. One day they stopped to exist (bankrupt) and there was no chance to get to the data! That was one of the worst situation of my employee.
What I want to say with that is, I want to be able to get to the data, no matter what.

For the following two quotes I have a proposal how to solve the perpetual/rent-to-own situation. There are two needs: otoy wants on longer therm a stable income and the customers like to have independency/guaranty. Why not use the same or similar model as Alias Wavefront had: When you stopped maintenance (support contract) the last version the customer had through maintenance, was perpetual without support. If the customer wanted to get back into maintenance, he payed a penalty plus the past missed years maintenance. If you paid years in advance (3 or 5 years was usual) the customer got a 10-15% discount.
I hope we can soon find a good solution for both parties, because Octane is a innovative product.

As you wrote (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69612):

Re: Licensing after V4 - Questions

Postby Goldorak » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:28 pm
It’s done - after 36 months you can keep the updates (with limits) and pay nothing further, we’re working out the details of how that works with ongoing cloud services like livedb still.

and in FAQ (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69646):

How can I get a perpetual licence to Octane 2018.1 or later?

Owning Octane is clearly important to many current boxed licence users, and we're working to support such a model for updates beyond V4.

For longer term AA plans beyond 1-2 years (currently being re-worked for the shop page in Q1), we are exploring one or more options for a limited rent-to-own model (those who already bought 3 year passes during the BF sale to date are covered)...

Best regards
Cyrill
HW01:WIN10x64/X79/i7-3930K/64gb/GPU:1xTitan X, GTX 1080ti, SW:Maya2018/2019, Cinema 4D R20

HW02:WIN10x64/Z370/i7-8700K/64gb/GPU:1xTitan X, GTX 1080ti SW:Maya2018/2019, Cinema 4D R20

etc. ...
cyrillweiss
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Fiezekoenig » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 am

Fiezekoenig Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 am
Hey,
as a newbie with Octane I just had my first month of subscription and was saving up for a year of all-access but I can't seem to find it on the subscription page anymore, only the monthly option is available. I only see all-access for the bought version, but I can't pay 700$ as a hobbyist. Is the yearly subscription with All-Access gone for good?
Fiezekoenig
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:50 am

Goldorak Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:50 am
Fiezekoenig wrote:Hey,
as a newbie with Octane I just had my first month of subscription and was saving up for a year of all-access but I can't seem to find it on the subscription page anymore, only the monthly option is available. I only see all-access for the bought version, but I can't pay 700$ as a hobbyist. Is the yearly subscription with All-Access gone for good?

The $199 annual plan for AA subs is no longer being promoted on the shop page as this specific discount offer is being deprecated shortly with the 2019 release. However, if you still want to get the current annual Octane Studio AA pass for $199 before of the 2019 release, just contact helpdesk and they will take care of it, even if it is not being promoted on the shop page at the moment.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Fiezekoenig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 am

Fiezekoenig Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 am
Goldorak wrote:The $199 annual plan for AA subs is no longer being promoted on the shop page as this specific discount offer is being deprecated shortly with the 2019 release. However, if you still want to get the current annual Octane Studio AA pass for $199 before of the 2019 release, just contact helpdesk and they will take care of it, even if it is not being promoted on the shop page at the moment.

Thanks for the reply, great to hear there is still a chance to get it. I just messaged helpdesk and will wait for their reply.
Fiezekoenig
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Joss » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Joss Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 pm
Wait a second...so can anyone clarify that: if I had so called 'permanent' license, I can't use 2019 anymore, and need to pay again?
Or 'old' licenses still do work?
Freelance CG TD, developer.
Joss
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Goldorak Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:18 pm
Joss wrote:Wait a second...so can anyone clarify that: if I had so called 'permanent' license, I can't use 2019 anymore, and need to pay again?
Or 'old' licenses still do work?

Existing V3/V4 licenses stay perpetual, even if you don’t renew the $199 all
Access plan after 1 year. If you want a perpetual license for v.2019, those were included in the Black Friday $599 upgrade from last year, and you can still ask to buy this plan through helpdesk. It’s not on the shop page now as we plan to roll out a more streamlined version of this perpetual upgrade option once 2019.1 is released.

Perpetual licenses for 2019 will have limits: they won’t extend to services or bundles like extra All Access DCC plugins, cloud, headless and slave nodes, livedb2, RNDR Network, and will not be actively updated long term after initial release to fix future breaking driver and GPU hardware changes.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby promity » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 am

promity Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 am
This is a foul play. Many came to Octane based on the calculations that by purchasing a plug-in + stationary program, they can no longer spend big money on upgrades. Moreover, our area of ​​activity is fraught with large expenditures - for software (today, in order to keep 3d services afloat in the market, you need a whole list of programs that cost a lot of money), for computers and components (video cards now cost much more than a few years ago). But software vendors are not doing nothing - they are constantly looking for ways to clear the pockets of their customers again and again. I would agree that updating and improving programs is the most honest way to make money for software companies, but I cannot agree with their desire to develop ways to clean their customers ’pockets by modifying licensing agreements and policies that do not lead to renting the basics of using their product. Why not make an option for small studios or freelancers - with a limit on the number of video cards and programs (I, for example, do not need access to plug-ins for a number of programs) and with the possibility of upgrading according to the old scheme? If the Otoy policy does not change in this regard - as soon as the opportunity arises, I will switch to using other renderers with the classic upgrade scheme.
AMD Threadripper 1950X/64gb ram/RTX 3080 Ti + RTX 2070/Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500 gb/
Lightwave 3d
promity
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements