OctaneRender 2018 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2018 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

OctaneRender 2018 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:01 am

face_off Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:01 am
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for Revit - TEST and STABLE releases.

IMPORTANT: If you get an "Exception starting render : System.MissingMethodException..." error when opening the Viewport with Revit 2018, install the Revit 2018.1 (or later) update.

Revit Version
This version runs on Revit 2017, 2018.1 and 2019 on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, 64 bit.

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 419.17 or higher.

Network Rendering
For Network Rendering, you must use the Octane slave release from the Octane Standalone installer which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using. This version matches OctaneRender Standalone 4.00.

Support Issues
If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- Revit version and build number (Help -> About Revit -> Build Number)
- OctaneRender for Revit version (ie. 1.02a)
- If relevant - supply the Journal file for the Revit session where the support issue occurred. Journal files can be found in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit [Revit version]\Journals

For more information
- Check the specific Octane 2.0 features in this plugin at http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=536
- Read the on-line manual
- Read the FAQ
- Post your question on this forum thread

Download Links

Current TEST build - Revit 2020 (Octane 2018.1.2)

Current STABLE build (Octane 2018.1)

[/list]

Release History

2018.1.2.61 (10-May-2019)
- Compiled with Octane 2018.1.2
- Added support for Revit 2020, and removed support for Revit 2017

2018.1.0.60 (12-Apr-2019)
- Resolved issues with materials not rendering correctly or being editable introduced in 2018.1.0.59

2018.1.0.59 (21-Mar-2019)
- Compiled with Octane 2018.1
- Implements the new Render Passes Cryptomatte functions from Octane 2018.1
- Does not implement the new Vectron, Volumetric Spotlight or Vertex Attributes from Octane 2018.1. Vectrons can be used by loading an ORBX file containing a Vectron node.

Paul
Last edited by face_off on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender 2018 for Revit [TEST and STABLE]

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:59 am

Seekerfinder Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:59 am
Hi Paul,

Thank you, however we're a bit confused I'm afraid.

1. This post is titled 'TEST and STABLE'. However, there is only a TEST download link.
2. This TEST download is titled 2018.1 - which we presume is in fact the current STABLE release?
[EDIT]
3. When I follow the license section to the Revit plugin latest version download page (for Studio), we get version 4.02.1.53 (2019) - I presume that should match the STABLE download link in this post, and that page just has not been updated as yet?

Kindly clarify.

I'd also like to ask a favour please... could you possibly put the text 'TEST' somewhere in the title of the test release executable? With all these stable & test releases Otoy are putting out this would help to prevent the risks of inadvertently installing a test release instead of a stable upgrade, which may affect production work.
Best,
Seeker
Attachments
REVIT_VERSION_2019-03-22.jpg
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:38 am

face_off Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:38 am
1. This post is titled 'TEST and STABLE'. However, there is only a TEST download link.
Once the current version has been in use for a week or so and no major issues are found, it will process to STABLE.
2. This TEST download is titled 2018.1 - which we presume is in fact the current STABLE release?
This is the very first 2018.1 release of the plugin, and not been available for users to test until now, so I have released it as a TEST build.
3. When I follow the license section to the Revit plugin latest version download page (for Studio), we get version 4.02.1.53 (2019) - I presume that should match the STABLE download link in this post, and that page just has not been updated as yet?
OTOY will most likely update this page in the next day or two.

could you possibly put the text 'TEST' somewhere in the title of the test release executable?
I would prefer not to, as a TEST build will often become a STABLE build if not issues are found, and uploading a large number of files just to change the name is not desirable.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:56 pm

face_off Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:56 pm
I have removed the installers above, as a major issue has been reported with it. I will hopefully have this resolved in the next day or so.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:57 am

face_off Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:57 am
Following is an EXPERIMENTAL test release - which I would like willing users to try out please. It changes the way materials work, so they are now identified by material name, rather than material id. So the "Grass" material will apply to all materials named "Grass" in the current scene and any reference scenes.

Under no circumstances use this version on your production scene please, since the data saved in the .RVT file has changed.

Due to the major nature of the change, I expect there to be issues with this release, so I am thankful to anyone who does any testing with it.

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/d5/7b/60/0f/OctaneRenderForRevit2019_2018_1_0_60_ENTERPRISE.exe

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jimho » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:12 pm

jimho Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:12 pm
Hi Paul,
Congratulations! Really Glad to see it!
It is a great improvement for the plugin, I did a very quick test on a few different projects , it works quite well.

A minor comment is still about the current scene material to overlay that from the links if they are in the same name,
Means:
if a material named A appears in LInk1, Link 2 and also in the main scene, they will all be replaced by the main scene's material A, if it is Grass it should be fine but if it is wall or Glass It may make people quite confuse,
the point is
1, this is not consistence with the revit native appearance, if A is different in Link1 Link2 and main scene, they will appears different
2,the risky is also about if we are changing a material from somewhere (one link), we might not be aware that something else (which is not related completely) have been also changed
Ideally they should be able to managed separately, but definitely these are minor issues compared with the great move, hope it can be further developed in the further stage.

I believe this new progress is a big step to makes octane much more mature than before, especially good for bigger projects in architectural firms

Supermicro 4028GR TR2|Intel xeon E5 2697 V3| windows 10| revit 2019 |Titan V+ Quadro GV100+RTX 2080 Ti
jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:01 am

face_off Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:01 am
I have updated the TEST build at the top of this thread with:

- Resolved issues with materials not rendering correctly or being editable introduced in 2018.1.0.59

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 am

face_off Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 am
if a material named A appears in LInk1, Link 2 and also in the main scene, they will all be replaced by the main scene's material A, if it is Grass it should be fine but if it is wall or Glass It may make people quite confuse,
the point is
1, this is not consistence with the revit native appearance, if A is different in Link1 Link2 and main scene, they will appears different
2,the risky is also about if we are changing a material from somewhere (one link), we might not be aware that something else (which is not related completely) have been also changed
Ideally they should be able to managed separately, but definitely these are minor issues compared with the great move, hope it can be further developed in the further stage.
Hi Jim. Yes, I agree with your points, and unfortunately by are a by-product of using a system which identifies materials by name rather than by the .rvt file and unique id (which I believe is not viable to implement). It would be good to see if you can make the new workflow work for you, and if there are small improvement I can make I can look at that. But using the .rvt file/unique id to identify materials is not going to be possible.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jimho » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:19 pm

jimho Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:19 pm
face_off wrote:Hi Jim. Yes, I agree with your points, and unfortunately by are a by-product of using a system which identifies materials by name rather than by the .rvt file and unique id (which I believe is not viable to implement). It would be good to see if you can make the new workflow work for you, and if there are small improvement I can make I can look at that. But using the .rvt file/unique id to identify materials is not going to be possible.
Paul

Paul,
It seems the bug is still there which had been mentioned half an year ago: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=69927&start=10#p356326
捕获.JPG

To avoid this, when importing the materials from links, is it possible to include the full path name when comparing the names, if the file name is different they should be considered as two different material. I am not programmer, not sure if this is too much work for you.

What you see from revit what should you get in the octane plugin, I believe this is a commercial and professional plugin should provide.
it is nothing to do with someone's work flow, it just about the plugin's RELIABLITY,

I am not sure what is impossible, what I see here Vray has done this already for many many years (as mentioned before)
Capture.JPG

Supermicro 4028GR TR2|Intel xeon E5 2697 V3| windows 10| revit 2019 |Titan V+ Quadro GV100+RTX 2080 Ti
jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:43 am

face_off Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:43 am
To avoid this, when importing the materials from links, is it possible to include the full path name when comparing the names,
This might be possible - but then material names would be horribly long (for example "Grass" would become "C:_my documents_my revit scenes_scene 51_grass") so I don't think that would be a workable solution.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Autodesk Revit