OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby vijay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:13 am

vijay Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:13 am
divasoft wrote:Hi all. I recorded a short video with displacement issue, please watch this https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zc_ba ... cAOvkikCam
I'm not sure that this works correctly.

This is a known limitation of the texture displacement. Could you please try our new vertex displacement. Please remember You will have to subdivide the geometry as well. Thanks!
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby divasoft » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 am

divasoft Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 am
vijay_thirukonda wrote:
divasoft wrote:Hi all. I recorded a short video with displacement issue, please watch this https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zc_ba ... cAOvkikCam

This is a known limitation of the texture displacement. Could you please try our new vertex displacement. Please remember You will have to subdivide the geometry as well. Thanks!

Thanks for your answer.
Another try. I use bokeh texture and get this result. Can you tell me how to use it right?
Attachments
Снимок.PNG
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 am

divasoft Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 am
vijay_thirukonda wrote:

And guys, i can see that you have not still to fix shattered displacement issue... so many years have passed. I hoped so...
Attachments
Без имени-1.jpg
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 am

haze Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 am
divasoft wrote:
vijay_thirukonda wrote:

And guys, i can see that you have not still to fix shattered displacement issue... so many years have passed. I hoped so...

As Vijay said, please try to use new Vertex displacement node. Not texture displacement.

If you did, please send us the scene, because we can't reproduce this kind of tearing with the new vertex displacement system.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby divasoft » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:37 am

divasoft Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:37 am
haze wrote:As Vijay said, please try to use new Vertex displacement node. Not texture displacement.

If you did, please send us the scene, because we can't reproduce this kind of tearing with the new vertex displacement system.

What then is the meaning of the texture disp? I need to make an incredibly large level of smoothing of the model with vector displacement to achieve detail. With so many polygons, Cinema will simply refuse to work. The displacement should not work this way. In vray, redshift, corona, it works as it is usually expected, and not as yours.
In Redshift, I can create a plane from one polygon to get an displace with good detail without shattered holes.
The meaning of the disp is that with a small number of polygons to achieve great detail surface. What you propose to do is contrary to the meaning of the disp using.
Vertext disp I could always do without octane, the standard displace modifier in Cinema.
Attachments
Снимок.PNG
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vijay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:15 am

vijay Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:15 am
divasoft wrote:
haze wrote:As Vijay said, please try to use new Vertex displacement node. Not texture displacement.

What then is the meaning of the texture disp? I need to make an incredibly large level of smoothing of the model with vector displacement to achieve detail. With so many polygons, Cinema will simply refuse to work. The displacement should not work this way. In vray, redshift, corona, it works as it is usually expected, and not as yours.
In Redshift, I can create a plane from one polygon to get an displace with good detail without shattered holes.
The meaning of the disp is that with a small number of polygons to achieve great detail surface. What you propose to do is contrary to the meaning of the disp using.

Did you try our inbuilt subdivision?.
Subdivision.png
you can subdivide/tessellate from geometry preference

Subdivision1.png
or directly from vertex displacement node, only use it if the object has only one material otherwise subdivide from geometry preference

Regarding spike please make sure image is smooth. I'm planning to add min and max height settings to deal with these spikes. I haven't seen any holes until the geometry itself is broken, could you please send me the scene.

And at last, I'm sure in Redshift also you should subdivide/tessellate the geometry before doing displacements.

Also, I'm adding auto bump mapping option to vertex displacement node like other renderers to get fine details in a lower subdivision/tessellate settings
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:19 am

Notiusweb Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:19 am
vijay_thirukonda wrote:
The first thing you cannot mix a vertex displacement with a texture(pixel) displacement at least at this point. The displacement mixer works only on vertex displacement nodes. The Texture displacement works on the pixel level on the run time so it can work even with the simple 1x1 plane but has some limitations because of no information about the adjacent polygons on run time. on the other hand, the vertex displacement is applied to the vertices of the geometry on compile time so it requires more vertices to get the same details, you either have to provide high-resolution geometry or subdivide the geometry to an acceptable level. In theory, it is possible to get the output of vertex displacement same as texture displacement, but practically not easy, because you need a ridiculously high-resolution model to get the same output and also how both are implemented.

Thank you! That Texture node availability in the vertex mixer was part of my issue, I was trying to put it in there.
The second thing, subdividing, actually can do a better job than Texture Displacement does look-wise. Thank you for showing us we now have that option here for these cases.

I have to say, I would be interested to see what you would make of the Divasoft type of scene, kind of mathematic I probably will run into as well where you'd want to have the efficiency of Texture Displacement vs subdividing into high polygons. We are always seeking to be resource-savvy.
Maybe give us a super duper dual-layer ray-epsilon that can hide it :twisted:
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rohandalvi » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:33 am

rohandalvi Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:33 am
Every render engine does render time subdivision to generate displacement. Either it's standard subdivision or micro polygon per pixel subdivision. But they all subdivide. That's how displacement works.

Arnold, redshift, mantra, vray, they all subdivide the geometry at render time.
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:38 am

Notiusweb Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:38 am
rohandalvi wrote:Every render engine does render time subdivision to generate displacement. Either it's standard subdivision or micro polygon per pixel subdivision. But they all subdivide. That's how displacement works.

Arnold, redshift, mantra, vray, they all subdivide the geometry at render time.

Wait, does Octane Render have this same auto-sub division too? Or like, as in if it were added, it could fix such issues from ever coming to be?
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:46 am

Notiusweb Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:46 am
Just so that discussion does not get entirely displaced...

Anime Kernel - still coming? :cry:
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases