Octane for Unity - All Access Licensing Confusion

Forums: Octane for Unity - All Access Licensing Confusion
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Octane for Unity - All Access Licensing Confusion

Postby JabbaTheNut » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm

JabbaTheNut Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm
Hi,

I am considering purchasing Octane Render in an All-Access bundle. However, I do not understand the licensing as it relates to Unity. On the otoy.com site, I see that I can purchase the “OctaneRender 4™ Enterprise DCC / All-Access Bundle” for Maya which includes OctaneRender 4™ Enterprise for Autodesk® Maya® + Standalone + 12 months All-Access at a price of $699. The description of the All-Access portion of the bundle says the following:

“Provides 'all you can eat' access to complete set of OctaneRender Studio DCC plugins (coming Q1 2019) - including Adobe After Effects, Nuke, Unity, Blender, Sketchup and soon, Unreal Engine”

I gather from this description that I get to download and use the Octane Render for Unity plugin. However, I am confused. On Unity’s website, they show Octane for Unity in three flavors, 1 GPU limit (Free), 2 GPU limit ($20/month) and 20 GPU limit ($60/month). Which of these comes with the All-Access Bundle? Also, is there an added cost above the $699 to use the Unity plugin (besides the Unity Plus/Pro subscription cost for Unity)?
JabbaTheNut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane for Unity - All Access Licensing Confusion

Postby JabbaTheNut » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:34 pm

JabbaTheNut Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:34 pm
I ask a different way...

I want to use Octane for Unity.

If I purchase an OctaneRender 4™ Enterprise DCC / All-Access Bundle license from OTOY, do I also need to purchase an Octane for Unity plugin from Unity?
JabbaTheNut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JabbaTheNut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:34 pm

JabbaTheNut Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:34 pm
Wow! Nobody willing to help?
JabbaTheNut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:32 am

ChrisHekman Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:32 am
Sorry, Yes you should be able to log in using a All Access license.

In order to log in with an Otoy account in the unity plugin you will need do the following:
- Download OctaneUnity installer from the unity asset store
- Go to Octane in the top menu bar and select settings
- In the new window that popped up, select the account drop down menu and select Octane.
- Next to account there is another dropdown menu, there select Studio or enterprise.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby JabbaTheNut » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:01 pm

JabbaTheNut Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:01 pm
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response. I guess I am still unclear about which flavor of Octane for Unity we get under the All Access License. On the Unity website, they offer the following flavors:

1. Octane Render Prime (Free) - Limited to 1 GPU
2. Octane Render Studio ($20/month) - Limited to 2 GPUs
3. Octane Render Creator ($60/month) - Limited to 20 GPUs

Your instructions suggest that I select either Studio or Enterprise from the Octane settings. Why are these options different from what is offered on the Unity website? To how many GPUs will I be limited?

I appreciate your help. The marketing of Octane for Unity is very confusing. I am an interested customer. However, I just don't know how to proceed.
JabbaTheNut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am

ChrisHekman Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am
Yes its a bit confusing at the moment. Licensing has been changed recently and we need to make it more clear. Im just getting the hang of it myself.

When you buy all access from the otoy website you will also get OctaneUnity - Studio. (2 GPUs)
Then you will have to log in via your otoy/octane account in the plugin as i specified in my previous post.

If you want OctaneUnity - Creator edition specifically, you will need to through the unity store.
Then you can just log in via your unity account automatically, and you can ignore the steps I layed out in my previous post.

To sum up, Buy Creator via the unity store.
Buy Studio via the unity store, or get it as part of the all access bundle from the otoy website.

I hope that helps.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby JabbaTheNut » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:44 pm

JabbaTheNut Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:44 pm
Chris,

Thank you. That makes things much clearer for me. I hope that OTOY will offer a larger GPU option in the near future. I, like many other freelancers, have computers with 4 GPUs. Having to pay $60 per month for 20 GPUs is expensive when I only need 2 more GPUs.

I appreciate your help.
JabbaTheNut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JabbaTheNut » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:26 pm

JabbaTheNut Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:26 pm
Hi Chris,

I noticed the following article on your site OTOY and Epic announce OctaneRender® 2019 for UnrealEngine 4. It states the following:

"The integration is planned for release in the first half of 2019 and will be included as part of OctaneRender’s $20/month baseline subscription with access to 20 GPUs, network rendering and over 20 DCC integrations."

This seems to be clear that the All-Access License is to include access to 20 GPUs for Octane Render for Unreal (when released). Why is Octane for Unity limited to 2 GPUs under the All-Access License?
JabbaTheNut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 am

ChrisHekman Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 am
JabbaTheNut wrote:Hi Chris,

I noticed the following article on your site OTOY and Epic announce OctaneRender® 2019 for UnrealEngine 4. It states the following:

"The integration is planned for release in the first half of 2019 and will be included as part of OctaneRender’s $20/month baseline subscription with access to 20 GPUs, network rendering and over 20 DCC integrations."

This seems to be clear that the All-Access License is to include access to 20 GPUs for Octane Render for Unreal (when released). Why is Octane for Unity limited to 2 GPUs under the All-Access License?

Good catch. I think the press release licence comments are a mistake on our side.
I am also working on the Unreal plugin and the licencing for it will most likely be in line with the other plugins. So the same All-Access rules will apply to it.
All-Access at the moment means Studio access to all plugins, which is 2 GPUs.

If you want to unlock more gpus, that means you need to buy/upgrade the enterprise edition of that specific plugin. This is the same for all the plugins, including unity.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby JabbaTheNut » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:54 pm

JabbaTheNut Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:54 pm
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the clarification. I would like to say that I am disappointed in OTOY's choice of a 2 GPU limit on the All-Access License. Many individual creators, like myself, have built 4 GPU PCs, specifically for GPU rendering. It is very common nowadays. To take advantage of the 4 GPUs I would have to pay an additional $720 per year for Octane under the Enterprise version with a 20 GPU limit. I just need 4 GPUs and you offer no reasonable option. It seems like an inappropriate price gouging of the individual creator. I would implore OTOY to reconsider raising the GPU limit to 4 on the All-Access License.
JabbaTheNut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Octane for Unity