Enabling Motion Blur

Forums: Enabling Motion Blur
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Enabling Motion Blur

Postby fleity » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 pm

fleity Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 pm
Hey everyone,
it seems, no matter what I do I can not get octane to render motion blur from unity (or motion vectors for that matter).
Is there any specific procedure I should follow?

thx for your help
fleity

Re: Enabling Motion Blur

Postby Xhed » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 am

Xhed Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 am
It's currently not implemented. Please see this post for more information.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bwatanabe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:47 am

bwatanabe Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:47 am
Has motion blur been enabled for Unity since this post? I see it referenced in the Octane for Unity manual, but I can't seem to get it to work.
bwatanabe

Postby bwatanabe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pm

bwatanabe Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pm
*bump*
Wondering if motion blur for Unity has been implemented, or if it's on the roadmap?
Thanks.
bwatanabe

Postby tombube » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 pm

tombube Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 pm
Also wondering about motion blur settings. The Manual references multiple options on controlling it through the PBR Render Target, but there seems to be duplicate options (According to the manual, the "Time" and "Shutter Time" settings do the same thing) and trying the settings out doesn't do anything.

I am thinking of implementing fake motion blur using screen space motion vector data from Unity myself (Similar to "A reconstruction filter for plausible motion blur" or other postprocess methods), but would much rather have actual motion blur through the path tracer itself.
tombube

Postby tombube » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:20 pm

tombube Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:20 pm
After experimenting with the post process techniques that use motion vectors I came to a possibly better solution using frame accumulation with a low Max. samples count. This should be a much easier solution for people who want to use the PBR Recorder to generate their data, but the recorder itself for some strange reason doesn't allow framerates higher than 120 fps...

I'd need a frame rate of around 1500 fps to have enough frames for a quality motion blur - one frame would be created from 50 frames with a Max. samples count of 10, so that the total number of samples for that frame would be 500.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the PBR Recorder interface to accept that high framerate? Or is there a way of running the raytrace through a script instead of through the recorder? That probably would be the best option, since it would be possible to accumulate the 50 images on the fly so that they don't take up space on the drive.
tombube

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:38 am

ChrisHekman Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:38 am
According to the manual, the "Time" and "Shutter Time" settings do the same thing

That looks to be a mistake in the manual. "Time" here allows you to set the actual render time at that moment. So when Time = 5.2 that means that all octane animations will be set to 5.2 seconds into their animation. This is useful for when you are using ORBX proxies that contain animated content.
"Shutter time" is correctly described.

tombube wrote:After experimenting with the post process techniques that use motion vectors I came to a possibly better solution using frame accumulation with a low Max. samples count. This should be a much easier solution for people who want to use the PBR Recorder to generate their data, but the recorder itself for some strange reason doesn't allow framerates higher than 120 fps...

I'd need a frame rate of around 1500 fps to have enough frames for a quality motion blur - one frame would be created from 50 frames with a Max. samples count of 10, so that the total number of samples for that frame would be 500.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the PBR Recorder interface to accept that high framerate? Or is there a way of running the raytrace through a script instead of through the recorder? That probably would be the best option, since it would be possible to accumulate the 50 images on the fly so that they don't take up space on the drive.

The PBR Recorder framerate is limited by unity itself unfortunately.

Another route you could choose is to export to ORBX using the PBR Recorder. When you export animations to ORBX, it automatically generates the nessesary data for object motion blur.
Then you render the ORBX animation in octane standalone and use the animation settings there.
Or load the ORBX back into unity as a proxy and animate the Octane.Renderer.Time with a C# script when recording.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Octane for Unity