OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC6

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC6
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC6 [latest 2018]

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:53 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:53 pm
Goldorak wrote:This is a limitation of Voxel based surface displacement, and not a trivial fix unless we go with a whole new displacement engine. This has been in the works for a while and will be in the next release.

Thank you for responding Goldorak.

The biggest issue I've been having with OTOY is when there is zero response to a posted issue (while seeing newer posts replied to by the team), which seems to happen fairly frequently.

That just leaves us in the dark completely, not being sure whether :

a.) I'm doing something wrong in my scene
b.) there is a bug and OTOY plans on fixing it
c.) It's an issue OTOY was not aware of but is looking at fixing it
d.) no plans to fix it because it's too much of a fringe case issue or it's too big of a task for the team implement a fix

I think you guys would save yourself a lot of headache and anger from the community if you would just acknowledge and let us know where a posted issue stands.

Sometimes an issue is a quick fix for a new release and it was just a bug you weren't aware of--but we don't know that. Sometimes it's a bigger issue that will take a longer time to fix--but we don't know that. Regardless whether it's A,B,C or D it's helpful for us to know so we can properly figure out our workarounds to the issue in the meantime. If something is going to be a quick fix, maybe we can grit our teeth and find workarounds during our next project we're using Octane on. If it's a longer term fix, maybe we switch to a different renderer for our next project and come back to Octane once the issue is fixed. As consumers who use your software for making money, it would be tremendously helpful, at very minimum to at least always let us know where issues stand.

Maybe you've said it before, on the displacement issue but threads get buried and we have no quick way of knowing that you've said it before. Maybe having more stickies in a sub thread titled "existing issues" or "fixes in progress" or something along those lines would be helpful for us to know where fixing of bigger issues stand. That way you aren't answering the same question multiple times to the point where you get annoyed and just quit responding. As well, it would keep multiple posts about the same issue from being posted.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:54 pm

funk Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:54 pm
Im just testing some stuff with the "fun with vectron" orbx here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=70196

If I use the "veTcron (typo) shadertoy primitive" example and apply a universal material, some faces render black.

vectron_universal_bug.JPG
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 am

PolderAnimation Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 am
I have a small request regarding vertex attributes and hairs. It seems that we cannot use vertex attributes on curves/hairs.
Could we have this option? Cheers
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:09 pm

coilbook Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:09 pm
displaced potholes with a water plane. You can see displacement pixels in white. Anyway to fix it
Attachments
dispalce.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Goldorak Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:46 pm
PolderAnimation wrote:I have a small request regarding vertex attributes and hairs. It seems that we cannot use vertex attributes on curves/hairs.
Could we have this option? Cheers

Vertex attributes are not yet supported for hairs/curves/volumes, but are being worked on now for 2019.2.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:41 am

Notiusweb Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:41 am
When RTX does come into play with Octane, how will it work, will it be one card acting as the key to unlock certain features, or will each card require it?
Or, will whatever RTX does in Octane be able to be used if combined with non-RTX cards?

THX!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 am

divasoft Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 am
Hi. Anyone know what this is? One more bug?
Attachments
Снимок2.jpg
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:38 pm

coilbook Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:38 pm
Notiusweb wrote:When RTX does come into play with Octane, how will it work, will it be one card acting as the key to unlock certain features, or will each card require it?
Or, will whatever RTX does in Octane be able to be used if combined with non-RTX cards?

THX!

I think they keep this as a secret. I asked them 3 times if all RTX cards will combine RT cores or only one card will be using RT cores. They didn't answer. I hope all available RTX cards will be utilized to the max with all RT cores combined.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 am
aoktar wrote:
Jolbertoquini wrote:
divasoft wrote:Dear developers, are not you ashamed of it?

I think you should do it a Standalone export and on the Beta place a ORBX for then to check ( and us to see what the issue I had similar before to find a scale issue which was fixed for the OC4 maybe they forgot to check), I can see a lot people are posting errors on Standalone section from they PLUGs which is already not finished.

I know is frustrating ( I do) But I understand post images from PLUG saying is not work is just waste of time because may be a plug issue, my advise and so far we had working is way we paste plug usage on plug section with the scenes to the plug developper and Standalone stuff on the standalone section.

They are saying from the begging this version RC6 is "BETA" stage so error will be there. But I totally agree with the point there some feature is just not finished and we struggle on as real production scale to do simple things, where we can do with the other engines

Cheers,
JO

Plugins are simply user interface and cannot revise the behavior of the Renderer. Strange that enough some guys are thinking else of this. I'm not happy as you about displacement but this is what we have atm until getting better displacement system.

I think is because a lot other plugs has not a great work and is a fact! (I'm not C4d user to relate to you) but fair enough I understand your point, if the render engine doesn't allowed you Guys to do a better job then Agree should be fixed to make life easier for you.

I personally tired with our company to have always problems due plug not supporting well Standalone features. but also is some point on standalone, and also I understand send orbx scenes with the Bug would be helpful for Standalone developers and this is my all point on this comment here.many time I see a lot C4D screen grabs which I have no Idea how is working and to see in some cases is user issue (not saying on this case) But you can agree if more people focus on the standalone we can show and pin point issues for standalone dev to fix right?

Cheers,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:43 pm

Notiusweb Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:43 pm
coilbook wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:When RTX does come into play with Octane, how will it work, will it be one card acting as the key to unlock certain features, or will each card require it?

THX!

I think they keep this as a secret. I asked them 3 times if all RTX cards will combine RT cores or only one card will be using RT cores. They didn't answer. I hope all available RTX cards will be utilized to the max with all RT cores combined.

Looked into some more, it is possible! This is great news :shock:
It is already being tested here in the Otoy Forums!

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70705&hilit=rtx+on+off+benchmark&start=40
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases