Couple of ORC questions (how to download frames, and pricing

Forums: Couple of ORC questions (how to download frames, and pricing
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

Couple of ORC questions (how to download frames, and pricing

Postby chrisw69 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 pm

chrisw69 Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 pm
Hi All!

I was thinking of using ORC for rendering some animations so uploaded a test scene & rendered 20 frames of it. I have some issues/ questions:

1. How do I get my frames? If I go to download frames, it gives me 3 options 'copy links' ' download csv' and 'download all'

Download all starts a bunch of HTTP downloads with my we browser, and seems to only download some of them, not all (and if its doing this for 20 frames, I cant imagine it is going to be successful trying to HTTP download 6000 individual files) :)
Copy Links gives me a bunch of AWS links that dont seem to work in the download managers I've tried
Download CSV gives me a CSV that Doesn't seem to work with either of the 2 download managaers I've tried (J-Downloader & Free Download manager) dispite the ORC website saying:

"you may copy your links or download a cvs file with the links. After that you can use any file download manager to download the outputs" - doesnt seem to work with any download manager - would be great if it said which download manager were tested working?

so yeah, currently cant get my rendered frames is problem #1

2. The other problem is the price - the frames I'm rendering just cost me about US12 for 20 frames!! To put it in perspective, the render farm I normally use, Garage farm charged me $47 for 6000 frames on a similar job with Corona render (at double the frame time)

So unless I'm calculating something wrong - the garage farm Price is $47 for 6000 frames@1 min per frame, ORC is $3600 for 6000 frames @30sec per frame?!? That cant be correct surely?
chrisw69
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Couple of ORC questions (how to download frames, and pricing

Postby chrisw69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:42 am

chrisw69 Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:42 am
Just updating here in case anyone has similar issues!

Downloading frames, you can use the download manager 'Chrono download manager' that can accept the list of links from ORC and downloads your frames

Pricing - Unfortunately this is expected behavior, on simple scenes where there is more 'processing' time than 'rendering' time (in my case simple scene with huge bitmaps and simple exterior lighting - a simple landscape flyover) ORC completely blows out pricing, to the tune of thousands of dollars for a single animation vs around $50 on a competing renderfarm + renderer. And as Octane is not allowed on 3rd party renderfarms, there are literally no other options aside from moving the scene to a competing product - though they are hoping this will change for V4 though, so I'll check back then I guess!
chrisw69
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leehenshall » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 pm

leehenshall Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 pm
I can relate to this.....I sent a test scene (47 frames 1024 samples 1-2 mins per frame on 3 Titan x GPUS). I put my render time into the calculator and was estimated around 9-15 dollars. When I submitted the job and watched the render, the cost skyrocketed....it ended up costing about $52 to render a scene that my workstation would have spent about an hour rendering.....I know this isn't a lot of money but some of the more complex shots were taking about 10-12 mins a frame and I had around 5000 frames to render and I didn't feel confident that it would be good value vs lowering my setting a little and hoping the denoiser could cope.

I also find the process of downloading frames a bit of an overly complex workflow. Why not just make it so the frames are packaged in one zip file with a separate option to manually download individual frames if required. I'm not sure why anyone would pay all that money to render all of their frames then only want to download a select few. I will look into Chrono download manager though as I have yet to actually see all of my frames rendered on ORC due to this annoying workflow.

Another problem I have with the ORC workflow is that you must render with standalone. I have a very large scene created in c4d with around 250 frames of animation. I followed all the instructions to prepare for ORC but the export to ORC took absolutely ages....about 4 hours and then crashed, I tried for a whole day to try and figure out why it was such a pain to do this and ended up giving up. On smaller scenes it was still slow but at least would finish. Octane for c4d seems to hang for a long time computing on a single thread when exporting scenes to orbx and that can be a problem on complex scenes. This scene also had around 12 render takes so am I expected to do this for every take? it would be faster to render locally or on a local network.

Given the lack of cloud alternatives and no support for native plugin features this is a pretty big black mark against octane as production software. My experience of ORC was that it's a great idea and could be very useful. But my first experience has not been very encouraging and it is very expensive.
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Normanj » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:15 pm

Normanj Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:15 pm
chrisw69 wrote:Just updating here in case anyone has similar issues!

Downloading frames, you can use the download manager 'Chrono download manager' that can accept the list of links from ORC and appvalley downloads your frames

Pricing - Unfortunately this is expected behavior, on simple scenes where there is more 'processing' time than 'rendering' time (in my case simple scene with huge bitmaps and simple exterior lighting - a simple landscape flyover) ORC completely blows out pricing, to the tune of thousands of dollars for a single animation vs around $50 on a competing renderfarm + renderer. And as Octane is not allowed on 3rd party renderfarms, there are literally no other options aside from moving the scene to a competing product - though they are hoping this will change for V4 though, so I'll check back then I guess!

Thanks for the information @chrisw69,

Regards
Normanj
Normanj

Return to OctaneRender Cloud