OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Postby SiliconAya » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm

SiliconAya Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm
I upgraded from 4.01.1.43 to 4.02.1.44 earlier in the week and now I'm having a problem where octane material changes are not saving, I can change anything else in the scene and it saves, but if I make a change to an Octane material it doesn't save.
It doesn't happen to every scene file either, but once it happens I have to throw the scene away and lose all my work.

It's like there's some option that's getting turned on, but I can't see any difference under the preferences tab.
SiliconAya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 am

face_off Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 am
The only changes between those version are changing the Octane version and the Imager defaults. Generally when Octane materials are not loading, it is related to one of the load options not being ticks in the Preferences. May I suggest deleting you preferences by following the instructions for NOTE 1 at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=69571

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Isotemod » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Isotemod Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:23 pm
I believe there are occasions when embedded materials are saved rather that the current materials.

This can be reproduced by using Daz's duplicate option, attaching the material to both items and saving.

After reloading this scene you can change the materials but saving and reloading usually results in the original materials returning.
Isotemod
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am

rajib Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am
Hi Paul,

An update regarding the crashes I have been facing with older scene files. I started to do "Create New Materials" on the items to reset them and then apply the saved Octane material again. Seems to have cleared the crashes.
I will continue to do this for any of the scenes that crashes for me and see if this solves my crash issues. Something seem to be getting corrupted in the nodes when a lot of edits are being done but haven't been able to pin point it yet.

Regards,
Rajib
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:42 pm

rajib Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:42 pm
Hi Paul,

An update on the crashes. Things have gotten quite bad. Facing crashes very often when doing almost any edit. But after 3 full days on it, I have noticed something - if I pause the render and then make edits and then resume the render, then there is no crash. But if I edit while the render it going on it more or less crashes every time. All stack dump that I see points to a thread being started and then it crashes within the Octane dll. To me it looks like a timing issue. Something (a pointer perhaps ?) the thread is trying to access which is not valid. I am not sure if there is a CRITICAL_SECTION or some other thread synchronization method in the thread to access the common resource / variables. Maybe if you put a try / catch with a SEH Exception handler (handles any kind of exception including null pointer access) within the thread, then even if the thread crashes, it will not crash the application.

I tried to turn off Live in the Octane Viewport, But the viewport updated whenever I edited something even if it was turned off and it led to a crash. I tried to change the Plugin Latency under the Preferences but that didn't help too. Only manually pausing the render, doing the edits and then resuming the render works for me. I guess my system specs are way too different for you to have a change to test the code in debug mode on something similar. But in any case I believe the issue is the thread that gets invoked whenever a change is detected in Daz.

Regards,
Rajib

PS : My system configuration and Daz / Octane version I am using are in my signature.
Last edited by rajib on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:25 pm

rajib Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:25 pm
Hi Paul,

Have a bug to report. Not sure if the behavior is correct or not. If I have a scene with a custom environment under Octane -> Environments tab (e.g. I have set a new name for the environment and it has additional sky texture) and I set this scene file as the default scene to load in Daz Studio (Edit->Preference and under Startup check the Load File and select this scene file to load). Then when I close Daz Studio and re start it, I see the scene that I saved as the default scene file that loads but under the Octane->Environment tab the custom settings that I saved with the scene are not there. It either shows No Environment or loads one of the default environments even though the scene file was saved with a custom environment name and settings.

Steps to reproduce :
1. Open Daz Sudio.
2. Create a New scene in Daz Studio.
3. Change settings in Octane->Environment Tab and give it a custom name. In my case I had imported one of my saved environment settings so it had that name. You can also change settings in the Render Settings Tab if you want to. I have done this as I use a custom render setting for all my renders.
4. Save the file with a known name. E.g. Default Scene.duf
5. Open Daz preferences (Edit->Preferences)
6. Under Startup check the Load File and browse to the scene file that saw saved in step 4.
7. Close Daz Studio.
8. Open Daz Studio, you should see the default scene file loaded (name appearing in the title bar).
9. Go to the Octane- >Environment Tab. You will see instead of the custom settings that you had saved the file with, it now has been replaced by either No Environment or some other default environment. (The Render Settings should be as per what was set).

My aim is to basically set a default scene file with all the customized Octane settings that I use so that I don't need to set all the settings every time I start a new scene. I hope you can fix this in the next release.

Btw. if I use File->Open to open the file saved in step 4, then the Octane->Environment Tab has the correct custom settings. So the wrong settings is only there if the file gets open as a default scene file. Maybe something in the Octane plugin initialization code is overwriting the environment settings. Probably a check is needed to see if the scene already has an environment setting and if so, use that instead of adding the default environment settings.

Regards,
Rajib

PS : My system configuration and Daz / Octane version I am using are in my signature.
Last edited by rajib on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:33 pm

rajib Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:33 pm
face_off wrote:I have posted a new TEST release to the top of this thread, with:

- Fixed bug setting the Map Import Path and Map Cache Path
Paul

Paul, I tested this. This is now working fine. Thanks for the fix :).
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:24 pm

face_off Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:24 pm
rajib wrote:Hi Paul,

An update on the crashes. Things have gotten quite bad. Facing crashes very often when doing almost any edit. But after 3 full days on it, I have noticed something - if I pause the render and then make edits and then resume the render, then there is no crash. But if I edit while the render it going on it more or less crashes every time. All stack dump that I see points to a thread being started and then it crashes within the Octane dll. To me it looks like a timing issue. Something (a pointer perhaps ?) the thread is trying to access which is not valid. I am not sure if there is a CRITICAL_SECTION or some other thread synchronization method in the thread to access the common resource / variables. Maybe if you put a try / catch with a SEH Exception handler (handles any kind of exception including null pointer access) within the thread, then even if the thread crashes, it will not crash the application.

I tried to turn off Live in the Octane Viewport, But the viewport updated whenever I edited something even if it was turned off and it led to a crash. I tried to change the Plugin Latency under the Preferences but that didn't help too. Only manually pausing the render, doing the edits and then resuming the render works for me. I guess my system specs are way too different for you to have a change to test the code in debug mode on something similar. But in any case I believe the issue is the thread that gets invoked whenever a change is detected in Daz.

Regards,
Rajib

Hi. I have had no other reports of this issue across any of the plugins I support, so that points to a hardware or driver issue specific to your system. Have you overclocked your cards?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby osiosiosi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:56 pm

osiosiosi Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:56 pm
Hi Paul,

some other bug i like to adress ...

The material and surface picker tool in octane viewport (3rd symbol from the left) is buggy.

It works most the time. However ... after a few dozen material picks it leads to DAZ crashing. This is reproduceable in every scene i have tryed. Talked to other who can confirm this same problem with their Octane DAZ plugin versions.

To make the bug trigger you only have to choose often enough different materials in viewport till it crashes.

Only workarround so far is not to use the tool. Which is a poor worarround ;-)

Btw ... happens with all octane Plugin and Daz versions i have tested so far.

Speaking of default settings:

-Why on earth, is the default setting for "response curve" some AgfaColor setting on low gamma. Why isnt this Linear with gamma 2.2?

When set to linear - Why do HDRIs load with Gamma 2.2 and not with Gamma 1.0?

-Why is GI Clamp set to max and not to a more reasonable setting like 5-10?

There is still the problem that auto converted materials load as glossy preset with a roughness of 0.0. The glossy preset part is almost always right. Problem is, that the 0 roughness setting wich is wrong in like 100% of the cases, leading to extrem glossy looking wood, stone, plastic etc. materials ....

Thanks for your time :-D
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 am

Notiusweb Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 am
face_off wrote:
1) if we have the Octane Enterprise license, do we download the regular or the Studio (in standalone it says Studio/All Access)?
My understanding is the "Enterprise License" = "Regular License".

2) Also was there a problem with the Map, in the latest stable build (in the main Otoy download site) it is blank/not working.
Sorry - I am not sure what you are referring to here.

Paul

Hello, can anyone confirm if they have ever seen this behaviour from the plugin:

1) I Open Viewport and Click 'Open Map', but where I expect to see map it only shows a grey screen
MissingMap1.jpg

2) Clicking on map area does nothing, but if I right-click, it shows 'Reload'
MissingMap2.jpg

3) When I click Reload, it gives me this, but then there is no ability to login to my Google account because the interface is scrunched down and I can't use the sign-in tabs or buttons.
As far as the browsers I have, they are updated...
MissingMap3.jpg

I had this issue on the last stable build, and so I updated but it still is same.
Standalone seems to have a built-in map, I recall the earlier versions had this also...is there a way to set up the browser for the map :?

THX!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio