Scene Change

Forums: Scene Change
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Scene Change

Postby bmneu » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:59 pm

bmneu Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:59 pm
I have a model that I use the plugin to export to octane and it works brilliantly. My material nodes must be modified for every material imported. That's fine. Now when I go back to my sketchup model I need to render a new scene and move a couple things around for that scene but from the same model. Currently I clicks render button and start from scratch adjusting all the materials in octane. There must be a way where I can skip this step..? It takes forever and is repetitive=inefficient
Core i7 X980 3.33GHz
12 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 480
bmneu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Scene Change

Postby TIG » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 pm

TIG Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 pm
If you have saved your adjusted project [project_name.ocs in the correct project_folder] the next time you use SUp export+render it will use any existing materials it has already set in the .ocs, i.e. these will be used as you have set them: however, any new materials you have added will need to be adjusted and then you will need save the octane project [.ocs] again to keep those.
If you it save with a different project_name or folder, or the you have never saved a project before, it will not 'remember' any changes and it will start from new again when you export+render...
I don't see the problem... as long as you save the .ocs project after you have changed it the material settings will be kept... and then a later export+render will only reflect the SKP's changed geometry , camera etc and any new materials [by name]...
Please open your project_folder and check there is a project_name.ocs - when you double-click its icon Octane should open using the materials as you had them set when you last saved it ??
This is the very 'project' file that is built-on by later exports+renders... but any existing material settings are NOT altered in the new render even if you have changed them in the SKP... unless they are 'renamed'.
Are you sure you are saving the Octane .ocs project_file into the correct project_folder [i.e. where the obj/mtl files etc are too] ???
Have you changed the settings in the Octane Options at all? It should look something like this
Options.png

If you still have problems, then can you perhaps post an example ?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bmneu » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 pm

bmneu Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 pm
Thank you for the reply, but the concern is how to keep the scene change, not material change. My model is staying the same in sketchup primarily, but the "scene" from sketchup is changing for the export. The import into the ocs file updates the obj, but the "scene" stays the old way. For instance when I press"reset camera to default, it goes back to the camera from the original obj when the ocs was created. I hope that can clarify. If not, let me know what I can do to help :)
Core i7 X980 3.33GHz
12 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 480
bmneu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bmneu » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 pm

bmneu Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 pm
Just read your other post on this issue. Very thourough. Thank you. The camera check box is selected. I'll play around with it some more and come back forsome more help if needed.
Core i7 X980 3.33GHz
12 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 480
bmneu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:16 pm

TIG Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:16 pm
bmenu

You cannot re-export/render to the same project ocs if it's still open, so close it first.
Now re-export from SUp with a new view saved, [also with the correct parts of the dialog for camera_export ticked/filled in].
The new view that is used in the Octane render should now match the current SUp view ???
If you change the view in Octane after the export, the exported SUp view is 'lost' unless you re-run the export/render again...
If you want to export changed geometry from SUp BUT not change the view in the ocs you must 'un-tick the' camera-export parts of the dialog.
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bmneu » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 pm

bmneu Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 pm
Still Issues

>>>>Sketchup>add Scene 1>add Scene 2>Save>>>>Set view to Scene 1>export to octane, *Scene 1 checked, resolution checked, default file name
>>>>Octane>adjust materials>render>save image> save .ocs>close octane (works phenominally)
>>>>Skethcup>Set view to Scene 2>export to octane, *Scene 2 checked, resolution same, default file name same
>>>>Octane>open .ocs file. Materials are kept, but view is still Scene 1 :(

I have unchecked the camera import and doesn't work either way (says its not enabled anyway). Is this the problem? Cause it's not yet enabled in octane? Or is this setting different?

I have also saved Scene 2 export to a different obj. The viewport gets represented, but the materials don't carry over when I add it as an object mesh in the ocs. Typing all the settings all over again is the next step in that case, as with any other.

The reason why I don't just move it around in octane is because I need a two-point perspective and octane doesn't have that option. I can't move it in octane without loosing that flat (sketchup calls it a 2d? perspective).....I think its a more realistic perspective. Hate the angled edges on an image if it cuts through the edge of the image constraints, for a portfolio at least.
Attachments
Untitled-1jh.jpg
This is the Scene I get...the before scene. Moved objects are represented in between scenes, but not the viewport.
Untitled-1.jpg
This is the Scene I want....
Core i7 X980 3.33GHz
12 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 480
bmneu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am

TIG Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am
You say you save Scene 2 to a 'different obj'.
Are you therefore changing the project_name ??
If you do this a new obj/mtl gets made BUT so does a new OCS project and that will default the materials again!!!
You have two Scenes in your SKP - 'Scene 1' and 'Scene 2'.
You export 'Scene 1' as let's say 'my_project' into a set folder - export camera and perhaps lighting settings from the SKP... it makes OBJ/MTL files ['my_project.obj' etc] and a new Octane OCS ['my_project.ocs'] as this is the first time you have run the tool, and renders it etc, you can adjust the materials etc as desired, save/close the OCS.
Make some changes to you model - e.g. move chair.
NOW in the SKP change to 'Scene 2'.
Export 'Scene 2' with the same project_name/folder... it makes new set of OBJ/MTL files ['my_project.obj' etc] - these might be the same as before, but because you might have changed geometry or materials it is always done. It will use the existing OCS 'my_project.ocs' - it imports the updated obj and mtl file... It uses the new camera - BUT uses any settings you have saved for existing materials - any newly added or renamed materials will need adjusting by you this time. Save/close the OCS.
Now in the SKP make a new Scene = 'Scene 3'.
But do not change anything else.
Export 'Scene 3' with the same project_name/folder... it makes new set of OBJ/MTL files ['my_project.obj' etc] - again these will be the same as before, but because you might have changed geometry or materials it is always done. It will again use the existing OCS 'my_project.ocs' - it imports the updated obj and mtl file [which haven't changed this time]... It uses the new camera AND uses the material settings you have saved for the existing materials. Save/close the OCS as desired.
Thus you now have an OCS that has its materials frozen.
Export 'Scene 1' again [same project_name/folder] and the material settings will be remembered.
Export 'Scene 1' again [but this time with a new project_name or a new project_folder] and the material settings will NOT be remembered and you must start again tweaking them.

If you do want to have more than one copy of a project with the 'same' set of materials you can do this convoluted fix...
Export the SKP's 'Scene 1' for the first time as 'my_project' [folder is also named 'my_project'] and adjust the materials as desired and save/close the OCS.
Make a copy of the 'my_project' folder [and its 'my_project.OCS'].
Name the copied folder 'my_project_B'.
Leave the OCS file named 'my_project.OCS'
Now Export SKP's 'Scene 1' still named as 'my_project' BUT with the update project_folder path ro 'my_project_B', [the OCS already exists with settings as desired from the original 'my_project']...
However, when you run Octane on this 'cloned' OCS it will still use the texture file paths previously set in the original 'my_project' folder version and NOT the cloned 'my_project_B' folder version! Aaaargh!
To truly separate the two 'projects' you really need to separate the texture file sets.
If you temporarily rename the original folder 'my_project_Textures' as 'my_project_TexturesXXX' neither project will be able to find them when opened manually, but when one is re-exported it will simply remake a correctly named folder and add the re-exported image files as needed, BUT when the 'my_project_B' version of 'my_project.ocs' runs it will have put its images into its own sub-folder BUT its OCS itself is not looking in there to find them [duh!] - this is because the paths are 'hard-wired' into the OCS, and so if the original textures folder is no longer found [e.g. it's been renamed etc] then Octane reports an error and prompts you to specify each 'missing' image file's location in turn - which is OK for a few textures but a pain for dozens... BUT after correcting each to the appropriate folder and then save/close of the OCS the two projects would now be properly separated and the OCSs will look for their own textures in their own sub-folders [as exported] - AND remember to rename the original '_Textures' without the 'XXX' !

HOWEVER, if you are up to it there is a much quicker fix... in which you do not need to rename any folders and get errors and repath each file in turn etc etc.
Ensure that the 'my_project_B' folder's 'my_project.ocs' is closed and then right-click its icon and use 'Open_With' - choose 'Notepad.exe' [or 'Notepad++.exe' if it's installed - do NOT use a word-processor - it's plain-text] - AND don't change the default app [leave the box unticked] ! just 'edit' the OCS file using the alternative app this once. An OCS file is in written in plain text - it's a kind of XML file - so it can be edited mnaually... Using 'Notepad' do a 'find_and_replace' within it - on the images' folder paths to match the correct one. For example on 'my_project' an image path entry might be like this -
<linkedfilename>C:\Users\TIG\Desktop\my_project\my_project_Textures\Wood_2.jpg</linkedfilename>
If the copied project is in folder 'my_project_B' then you 'find_and_replace' "C:\Users\TIG\Desktop\my_project\" with "C:\Users\TIG\Desktop\my_project_B\" - globally - then save/close and reopen the OCS with Octane and it should now be looking at the correct textures' folder...
This re-pathing of texture-paths in a copied OCS can be automated - I am writing a simple Ruby tool to do this - I'll publish it later today... :geek:

This 'hardwiring' of the paths only applies to the texture images as other paths like the ocs itself and obj file is set in the exporter's command-file...

Similarly if you export lighting it will override the OCS default, so if you have set lights in the OCS do NOT export the SKP's lighting settings later...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp