Camera as texture projector?

Forums: Camera as texture projector?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Camera as texture projector?

Postby davidvonbehr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:06 pm

davidvonbehr Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:06 pm
Hello everyone,

is it possible to use camera texture projection with Blender/Octane. I haven't found a clue that it's possible but it seems to be working with C4D (according to the manual).

Maybe is there a workaround or a tweak? Would be very helpful.

Thanks
David
davidvonbehr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Camera as texture projector?

Postby ChrisH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:07 pm

ChrisH Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:07 pm
AFAIK there's no "pure Octane" way to do this (like the Camera Texture Coordinates in Cycles), but there's still two ways to accomplish it:

1. Using the UV Project Modifier in Blender, with the camera as projector. This works reasonably well, but might distort the texture some (especially if your mesh density is low [just testing with a normal cube and it looks distorted, after adding subdivisions it looks a lot better]). It uses and overwrites your UV map.
  2. Using OSL projection: This OSL script works well (the first one): viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65575 This is probably the way to go.

(I haven't checked the Octane C4D manual, but when I did a quick search I could only find ways to do it using C4D tools [like UV Projection] and nothing specific to Octane).
Windows 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 2100X 8 core 3.70GHz - 32GB RAM - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Octane Prime - Blender Plugin user

Metal IOR values for Octane (with .blend library): https://chris.hindefjord.se/resources/rgb-ior-metals/
ChrisH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby davidvonbehr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:13 am

davidvonbehr Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:13 am
Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for your help!

Gonna try it out now.

Best,
David
davidvonbehr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 am

linograndiotoy Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 am
davidvonbehr wrote:Hello everyone,

is it possible to use camera texture projection with Blender/Octane. I haven't found a clue that it's possible but it seems to be working with C4D (according to the manual).

Thanks
David

Camera Projection is going to be available in the next upcoming Octane for Blender build, as a new option in the Image node. ;)
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Whispermode » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:53 am

Whispermode Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:53 am
linograndiotoy wrote:
davidvonbehr wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks
David

Camera Projection is going to be available in the next upcoming Octane for Blender build, as a new option in the Image node. ;)

Hi Lino, all.

What's the application here? How will it differ from, say, 'project from view' in the UV menu?
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisH » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:02 pm

ChrisH Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Whispermode wrote:How will it differ from, say, 'project from view' in the UV menu?

It's practically the same, but camera projection always follows the current camera, so if you move the camera you won't need to redo/adjust the UV, and thus matches the camera view in an animation (whether the camera moves or the object).
Windows 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 2100X 8 core 3.70GHz - 32GB RAM - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Octane Prime - Blender Plugin user

Metal IOR values for Octane (with .blend library): https://chris.hindefjord.se/resources/rgb-ior-metals/
ChrisH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Whispermode » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Whispermode Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm
ChrisH wrote:
Whispermode wrote:How will it differ from, say, 'project from view' in the UV menu?

It's practically the same, but camera projection always follows the current camera, so if you move the camera you won't need to redo/adjust the UV, and thus matches the camera view in an animation (whether the camera moves or the object).

Thanks, Chris - I'm still not 100% on this (my fault, not yours).

I use UV projection exhaustively, sometimes with image sequences, and in animation with camera moves. So it all moves how I need it to, within reason, so no need to adjust UVs.

What would be an example (if you have a minute to explain)?
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 pm

linograndiotoy Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 pm
The big difference is that has nothing to do with the UVs.

Let's say you have a backplate with a defined camera angle. After positioning the camera to so match the perspective of the shot, you can simply model some meshes an place them in the scene.
Then you can simply activate the Camera Mapped option (it will probably be renamed "Front Projection").

You can watch this video of a quick test I just made:

https://youtu.be/aBKjf6hUi0M

It's very similar to what you can do with the Project From View option in Blender, but you don't need to create any UV for your meshes.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Whispermode » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Whispermode Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:The big difference is that has nothing to do with the UVs.

Let's say you have a backplate with a defined camera angle. After positioning the camera to so match the perspective of the shot, you can simply model some meshes an place them in the scene.
Then you can simply activate the Camera Mapped option (it will probably be renamed "Front Projection").

You can watch this video of a quick test I just made:

https://youtu.be/aBKjf6hUi0M

It's very similar to what you can do with the Project From View option in Blender, but you don't need to create any UV for your meshes.

OK, cool - thanks.

So the projection takes place at the point of activation and then sticks? I ask because, I've tested the OSL version I've seen in Chris's link above, but the texture slides about on the geometry whenever you move the camera... like it's projecting constantly. I'm probably doing something wrong.

The most obvious benefit I can see from your example is that you can project to non-subdivided geometry. When you 'project from view', you have to subdivide, sometimes to 5 levels to remove the distortion... so that's great!

What would be really useful is to accompany this with a calibration tool like BLAM. Any plans, Lino? :geek: :shock:
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:18 pm

linograndiotoy Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:18 pm
Whispermode wrote:OK, cool - thanks.

You're welcome!

Whispermode wrote:So the projection takes place at the point of activation and then sticks? I ask because, I've tested the OSL version I've seen in Chris's link above, but the texture slides about on the geometry whenever you move the camera... like it's projecting constantly. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Yes, it's recording the current state as you activate the option. Then you can move the camera as you need, no sliding!

Whispermode wrote:The most obvious benefit I can see from your example is that you can project to non-subdivided geometry. When you 'project from view', you have to subdivide, sometimes to 5 levels to remove the distortion... so that's great!

What would be really useful is to accompany this with a calibration tool like BLAM. Any plans, Lino? :geek: :shock:

Well, we can use Blam or fSpy already!

https://fspy.io/
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Blender