Phoenix multiple grids and eval times

Forums: Phoenix multiple grids and eval times
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Phoenix multiple grids and eval times

Postby coilbook » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 am

coilbook Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 am
Hi paride,
so there is a bug with multiple grids and eval times.
I attached 3 videos to show what the problem is.

1. The first video has 4 grids 2 of them are empty. Eval time is 2 min 50 seconds.

2. The second video. 2 grids with sim data. 2 empty grids are deleted. Eval time is 1 min 30 seconds. Vram usage 1.1 GB

3. The third video. Only one grid with sim data left. Eval time is only 30 seconds. The scene is 0.6.

Even empty phoenix grids contribute to slow down.

Can you please send this to otoy. Can they finally fix this. Thank you
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] 2 grids plus 2 empty grids load time.MOV [ 16.24 MiB | Viewed 2820 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] 2 grids load times.MOV [ 10.95 MiB | Viewed 2820 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] 1 grid load times.MOV [ 4.74 MiB | Viewed 2820 times ]

coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Phoenix multiple grids and eval times

Postby paride4331 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:33 pm

paride4331 Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:33 pm
Hi coilbook,
I just did it.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby coilbook » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:09 am

coilbook Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:09 am
paride4331 wrote:Hi coilbook,
I just did it.
Regards
Paride

Thanks.
Could you also forward this picture to them maybe it will help. With phoenix present (especially multiple grids) in the scene not only eval times are long between each frame but also GPU2 kicks in that is not even used for rendering and it is a display card only. Not sure why octane uses it since phoenix loads sim from a hard drive.
Attachments
gpu 2 usage.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:56 am

neonZorglub Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:56 am
Hi coilbook,
I'm checking one of the previous scene you sent (overlapping grid.zip), and found that all Fire simulators (PhoenixFDFire001, ..) have the Rendering set to Volumetric mode,
with Volumetric Options /Fire 'Create Fire Lights' enabled.
That creates thousands of Omni lights at evaluation time, and this is very slow, and not used by Octane..
After disabling those, the evaluation time changed from ~6 minutes to 7 seconds ! ..

Can you check if you have such lights enabled in your scene ?

I found some other issues with this scene, that could be related to motion blur sample set to more than 2..
You could try if setting '2' also improves evaluation time ..

If your scene has no Fire lights or is still slow, could you PM it to me ? (I tried some simple empty grids, but couldn't see much slowdown)

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm

coilbook Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm
neonZorglub wrote:Hi coilbook,
I'm checking one of the previous scene you sent (overlapping grid.zip), and found that all Fire simulators (PhoenixFDFire001, ..) have the Rendering set to Volumetric mode,
That creates thousands of Omni lights at evaluation time, and this is very slow, and not used by Octane..
After disabling those, the evaluation time changed from ~6 minutes to 7 seconds ! ..

I found some other issues with this scene, that could be related to motion blur sample set to more than 2..

If your scene has no Fire lights or is still slow, could you PM it to me ? (I tried some simple empty grids, but couldn't see much slowdown)

Thanks

Thank you
There is a big difference now!

Should rendering be mode left at Volumetric mode? And will volumetric options ever work with octane to control smoke transparency etc?

Also this incorrect mb still exists viewtopic.php?f=81&t=70717

I will test MB and report shortly. The problem is when grid is attached to a moving object like a train smoke.

Thanks
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm

paride4331 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm
coilbook wrote:
neonZorglub wrote:Hi coilbook,

Thanks

Thank you
There is a big difference now!

Should rendering be mode left at Volumetric mode? And will volumetric options ever work with octane to control smoke transparency etc?

Also this incorrect mb still exists viewtopic.php?f=81&t=70717

I will test MB and report shortly. The problem is when grid is attached to a moving object like a train smoke.

Thanks

Hi coilbook,
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=70717
I asked you in PM to share your scene with me on Mon Feb 18, 2019, you never answered or sent it.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Bug Reports