OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1 [latest 2018]

Postby haze » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:36 pm

haze Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:36 pm
Notiusweb wrote:I am finding that I can add a Vectron to a scene, but it is WAY unstable....

With just 1 Vectron:
-I run the risk of crashing RC1 soley because I left the default render target at 5000 s/px, whereas if I I lower it to 50, I have much higher chance RC1 does not crash.
-When I change the "bounds", it has a high crash rate too.

PS - I have little knowledge of how or where to use a Vectron yet , but it much reminds me of Volume Mediums in V3's early days, in that it crashes scenes a lot so it is hard to explore.

Does this happen with any scene and any vectron node you have? Would you mind sending the contents of your log window?
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby haze » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:38 pm

haze Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:38 pm
I can confirm that cryptomatte is crashing and very unstable for me as well. If I only enable one element like instanceid or materialpin it might work for a while longer but will eventually crash.

If I enable them all then toggle between them in the viewport I get a hard crash with no error message.

Is this going to be fixed in RC2?

We'll look into the first issue and try to reproduce it. Roeland has fixed the second issue for RC2 already.

Correction: Roeland fixed both issues for next release.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:40 pm

Notiusweb Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:40 pm
haze wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:I am finding that I can add a Vectron to a scene, but it is WAY unstable....

With just 1 Vectron:
-I run the risk of crashing RC1 soley because I left the default render target at 5000 s/px, whereas if I I lower it to 50, I have much higher chance RC1 does not crash.

PS - I have little knowledge of how or where to use a Vectron yet , but it much reminds me of Volume Mediums in V3's early days, in that it crashes scenes a lot so it is hard to explore.

Does this happen with any scene and any vectron node you have? Would you mind sending the contents of your log window?

Hi, thx!
Okay, this I am new to also....
In standalone I created a log window, where does it save the log to when it crashes?
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 pm

haze Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 pm
Notiusweb wrote:
haze wrote:

With just 1 Vectron:

Hi, thx!
Okay, this I am new to also....
In standalone I created a log window, where does it save the log to when it crashes?

Sorry, left out some important details. I'll send you a PM.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 am

Notiusweb Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 am
It appears if a scene crashes, the log window also crashes, so it doesn't help with crashes.
You can save as a text file only while the app is in operation.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:40 am

Notiusweb Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:40 am
Maybe my PC is a weak POS, but man...when a Vectron scene does work, it really struggles almighty to render the scene.
For 1 texture I would think it could go super fast, it is supposed to have a low geometry cost, right? (the geometry doesn't even say what it is...)
Whatever this Vectronian thing is my GPUs are busting their a$$es off....

This was 2:30 for 300 s/px @1080p on a zoom-in shot.

VectronLarvae_01.png

But when it does finish, really cool, I can almost feel the larvae growing in the mutagnic pod-sacks.

EDIT

Oh...So, Vectron can make a geometry without a mesh footprint on the scene, but then still, Octane now has to contend with lighting the 'geometry' as if were a mesh, and a very highly displaced mesh, at that?
So, it has to independently trace light through all the nooks and crannies you generate with Vectron, right, and that's why it is so super duper demanding?

VectronNuggets_01.png
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 pm

haze Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 pm
Notiusweb wrote:Maybe my PC is a weak POS, but man...when a Vectron scene does work, it really struggles almighty to render the scene.
For 1 texture I would think it could go super fast, it is supposed to have a low geometry cost, right? (the geometry doesn't even say what it is...)
Whatever this Vectronian thing is my GPUs are busting their a$$es off....

This was 2:30 for 300 s/px @1080p on a zoom-in shot.

But when it does finish, really cool, I can almost feel the larvae growing in the mutagnic pod-sacks.

EDIT

Oh...So, Vectron can make a geometry without a mesh footprint on the scene, but then still, Octane now has to contend with lighting the 'geometry' as if were a mesh, and a very highly displaced mesh, at that?
So, it has to independently trace light through all the nooks and crannies you generate with Vectron, right, and that's why it is so super duper demanding?

There are some issues in RC1 where SDFs would render super slow if there is any positive scaling in the scene. This will be fixed in RC2.

Sampling lights from hits on the surface is not nearly as expensive as tracing the geometry. Which is why we're looking at ways to speed it up.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to Development Build Releases