OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.01.1

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.01.1
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.01.1 [current 4.xx]

Postby Erick » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 am

Erick Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 am
Objects with an Universal Material applied, while having stuffed something in the Transmission node there (like an image map, or RGB color) , are staying black in the Transmission Render Pass.
Does it need a special treatment to make is visible in this Render Pass, or is it "not working yet"?

Thank you and a happy new year.
Erick
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:53 am

calus Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:53 am
calus wrote:
vijay_thirukonda wrote:If you check the attachment, you will notice that the exported FBX crease values are scaled down by 10. Not sure why, but this is what octane is reading. So I scaled it up by 10 if the file is coming from Maya.

Are you sure this is specific to Maya FBX ?
maybe this is because autodesk FBX plugins in general just doesn't use the same units for storing crease values, might be an historical reason.
This could be confirmed or not by checking also fbx subdiv exported from 3DSmax.

As I expected, I can confirm this is not an issue in the Maya FBX plugin :
C4d fbx export have the exact same wrong crease result in Octane than Maya FBX.

Please consider when importing any FBX in Octane that :
subdivision surface sharpness values (crease) are stored in the FBX format with a different unit than what Octane naively expects (1 FBX crease unit = 10 Octane crease unit )
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:11 am

rajib Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:11 am
Dear Otoy team,

I have detailed crash / BSOD and instability issue I have encountered with Octane Out-Of-Core memory setting in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70211#p354296. Please take a look. I hope you are able to verify my finding and able to create a patch for it.

Best regards,
Rajib
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 am

abstrax Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 am
calus wrote:
calus wrote:
vijay_thirukonda wrote:If you check the attachment, you will notice that the exported FBX crease values are scaled down by 10. Not sure why, but this is what octane is reading. So I scaled it up by 10 if the file is coming from Maya.

Are you sure this is specific to Maya FBX ?
maybe this is because autodesk FBX plugins in general just doesn't use the same units for storing crease values, might be an historical reason.
This could be confirmed or not by checking also fbx subdiv exported from 3DSmax.

As I expected, I can confirm this is not an issue in the Maya FBX plugin :
C4d fbx export have the exact same wrong crease result in Octane than Maya FBX.

Please consider when importing any FBX in Octane that :
subdivision surface sharpness values (crease) are stored in the FBX format with a different unit than what Octane naively expects (1 FBX crease unit = 10 Octane crease unit )

Yes, we are looking into it.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 am

abstrax Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 am
rajib wrote:Dear Otoy team,

I have detailed crash / BSOD and instability issue I have encountered with Octane Out-Of-Core memory setting in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70211#p354296. Please take a look. I hope you are able to verify my finding and able to create a patch for it.

Best regards,
Rajib

I replied to your post, but in general increasing the OOC limit alone shouldn't make any difference unless you are actually using all that OOC memory, because it's just a number which only becomes important when you hit that limit.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby wallace » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm

wallace Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm
Erick wrote:Objects with an Universal Material applied, while having stuffed something in the Transmission node there (like an image map, or RGB color) , are staying black in the Transmission Render Pass.
Does it need a special treatment to make is visible in this Render Pass, or is it "not working yet"?

Thank you and a happy new year.

The universal material does not currently have diffuse transmission in v4, the transmission pin's BTDF type is controlled by the "BSDF model" pin, which are all Specular BTDF models.

So you will find the specular transmission in the refraction pass like the specular material instead (following the specular material convention).
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 am

abstrax Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 am
grimm wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm trying to load a sequence of images for an animated displacement texture and it will only allow me to load one at a time. For 152 images this will take some time. Not sure if this is a Linux issue or not.

Thanks,

Jason

I assume you are working on Linux and with the non-native file chooser, I could not reproduce the issue. Maybe Octane's GUI framework has some problems with the native file chooser of your Linux setup?
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:29 am

abstrax Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:29 am
grimm wrote:Also when I load an image the file type always defaults to .jpg, I have to change it to what I'm looking for. It would be nice for it to look for all the available file types.

Thanks,

jason

It should show a file chooser for all image file types and in my tests it did, maybe its's the same issue as with the multi-file selection above?
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 am

abstrax Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 am
grimm wrote:Hmm, also I'm not able to exit out of a LUA script window (batch rendering). No close button and if the script doesn't have an exit button how do you get out of it? I tried the escape key, etc.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited to add that when I switch to another virtual desktop it kills the script window. It's good to know, but that's not good if I was in the middle of rendering something.

Thank you for the report. It happens when you enable the non-native window titles in the preferences and open a LuaWindow. It will be fixed in the next version. Until then - if possible, enable the use of native window title bars.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby grimm » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:03 pm

grimm Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:03 pm
abstrax wrote:
grimm wrote:Hmm, also I'm not able to exit out of a LUA script window (batch rendering). No close button and if the script doesn't have an exit button how do you get out of it? I tried the escape key, etc.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited to add that when I switch to another virtual desktop it kills the script window. It's good to know, but that's not good if I was in the middle of rendering something.

Thank you for the report. It happens when you enable the non-native window titles in the preferences and open a LuaWindow. It will be fixed in the next version. Until then - if possible, enable the use of native window title bars.

Awesome, thanks abstrax! It's good to know you have figured out the issue. :D Did the GUI framework folks fix their Linux issues?

Jason
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)