speed : preview vs. render

Forums: speed : preview vs. render
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: speed : preview vs. render

Postby protovu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:25 pm

protovu Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:25 pm
Thank you, J.C.

Much appreciated!
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 pm

linograndiotoy Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 pm
Hi!

Are you using the same number of samples for both preview and render?

If you have modifiers in the scene (especially Subdivision) please try to set the same subdivision level for both preview and render. Having more polygons in the scene is not only affecting the data load speed, but also the render speed.

Do you have the same denoising settings for both the preview Imager (the one in the numeric parent) and the Camera Imager (the one in the Camera properties) ?

Are you using render passes? Generating those can increase render time in a very noticeable way.

Is the render resolution the same of the one used in the preview?

Please check all those things. If you still can notice differences in render speed between the preview and the actual render, please let us know.

Thanks!

protovu wrote:Hello Fellow BlendOctaners,

My Octane render preview is fast. With a medium complex model which is using transparent surfaces, I can snap anywhere in the timeline and regardless and get a 1.5 image with about 50 samples.

Not so when I go to do an actual render with the same settings. Very slow.

I was thinking that this might be due to mesh compilation, but the same compilation occurs in Preview Renders, yes?

How can I emulate the speed of the Preview Render in an actual animation? Frames without Denoiser about 6 seconds. With Denoiser about 14 seconds.
I must be missing something obvious.........

Thank you for the help.

Win7 64
dual xeon
32 G RAM
970,980 Ti, 2x TitanX
Nvidia Driver -4.17
StandAlone 4
Octane_Server_4.0_-_16.3
Blender_Octane_Edition_16.3_2.79
protovu
Licensed Customer
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby protovu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:58 pm

protovu Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:58 pm
Hi Lino,

number of samples for both preview and render? Yes, or even fewer for the Render. 20 for Animation Render ( to test denoise) and 50 for PreviewRender .

modifiers in the scene (especially Subdivision) [set to the same subdivision level for both preview and render. Preview Render about 1.5 sec. Animation Render about 12 sec. /frame.

denoising - disabling denoising is helping. Now about 3.5 seconds for Animation Render.

render passes?
Not using.

Is the render resolution the same of the one used in the preview? - 1280x720 for the Animation Render. For the Preview, I do not see where to set the resolution. I simply stretch the
window to where I want it. Stretching it full screen seemed to not bother the Preview.

Also, I do not see where to specify denoise in the Preview. With camera selected, disabling it does effect the Preview.

I thought denoiseing was intended, among other things, to increase Render speed due to the lower sample requirement. Am I wrong on that?

Thank you for your help,
Rick
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 pm

J.C Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 pm
If you want to see denoised picture in preview window you need to follow few steps:
1. Go to imager, enable it and disable "Denoise on completion"
2. Shorten interval so the denoiser kan kick every defined X seconds.
3. Go to passes. Enable them and enable "Denoiser Beauty pass".
4. Set the Preview pass type to "Denoise beauty"
5. Have fun :)
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 pm

linograndiotoy Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 pm
Bartek provided you with some great info about how to use AI Denoiser in preview mode. Thanks Bartek!

And yes, Octane AI Denoiser let's you use less samples (so shorter render time) to get a noise free image.

It looks like that whatever setting for object type (scatter, movable, reshapable or globaln) and/or animation mode (Camera Only, Moveable, Full) is used, when rendering a sequence Octane is executing a re-sync of the scene (my feeling is that only geometry is affected, not textures) each time a new frame gets calculated.

Maybe this could be due to the way Blender deals with rendering sequences. I'll make the developers aware about this issue so we can possibly solve it.

Thanks!

protovu wrote:Hi Lino,

number of samples for both preview and render? Yes, or even fewer for the Render. 20 for Animation Render ( to test denoise) and 50 for PreviewRender .

modifiers in the scene (especially Subdivision) [set to the same subdivision level for both preview and render. Preview Render about 1.5 sec. Animation Render about 12 sec. /frame.

denoising - disabling denoising is helping. Now about 3.5 seconds for Animation Render.

render passes?
Not using.

Is the render resolution the same of the one used in the preview? - 1280x720 for the Animation Render. For the Preview, I do not see where to set the resolution. I simply stretch the
window to where I want it. Stretching it full screen seemed to not bother the Preview.

Also, I do not see where to specify denoise in the Preview. With camera selected, disabling it does effect the Preview.

I thought denoiseing was intended, among other things, to increase Render speed due to the lower sample requirement. Am I wrong on that?

Thank you for your help,
Rick
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby protovu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 pm

protovu Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 pm
Hi Lino,

I hope they can solve it.
When I see the Preview, it sure seems like they already have solved it on some important level.

I appreciate Bartek's tips on adding the denoiser to the Preview.
I will follow them, but actually, it seems to be working in Preview mode already.

Bottom line, right now the denoiser is doubling render time. Is it because I am doing a false comparison.
That is, comparing renders of the same sampling?
Really the regular render should be something like 100 when compared to 50 denoised?
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 am

J.C Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 am
Rendering with denoiser will be slower than without it. That has been confirmed by the developers. Something like 5 to 30 Ms/sec slower. But... to get noise free image you will need less samples so rendering will be shorter. From my initial observations every scene differs so sometimes 128 samples is enough and sometimes 1024 samples are needed to get nice smooth denoised picture.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:38 am

protovu Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:38 am
Thanks, J.C.
I appreciate your time for this.
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby davidvonbehr » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:12 pm

davidvonbehr Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:12 pm
Hi everyone,

glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue.
I testing out same car animation with Octane/Blender and it's really annoying that in the preview I can scrub the timelime and the car is driving back and forth in realtime (great!) while in the final rendering it synchronizes objects every. single. frame. :)

I tried all settings in all combinations and the problem stays. Override is set to movable ...

A fix for that would be very much appreciated ;-)

Thanks,
David
davidvonbehr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:10 am

J.C Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:10 am
I wonder how it works in other plugins and I would like to hear an explanation from developers why it is that way.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Blender