OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby Goldorak » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Goldorak Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 pm
billyhotdog wrote:I just don't understand these new license options.

I am using Octane for many years, at the moment I have two plugins that I actually need. I need Blender and Houdini and I sometimes use standalone as well. I am running the version 4 beta versions at the moment.

I want to upgrade to RTX cards in the near future and want to use at least 2 RTX GPUs, but preferably more. And maybe also combined with some older 1080 GPUs.

Please tell me what do I need. What does the OctaneRender® All-Access Extension (1 Year) give me?

I am sorry, but it is just extremely confusing and not clear at all.

I want to spend the 179 now with the discount, but I don't understand what I am buying. Will this actually cover my needs or do I need something else? I don't want extra other plugins, that is useless for me, just for the programs I use.

Please advise, thanks.

The sale is going on through Cyber Monday week, so there is still some time left. To keep this as simple as possible, think of these 1-3 year plans as annual maintenance updates to let you use future versions of Octane released beyond V4. The $179/yr upgrade covers a machine node, so both the standalone, and your purchased DCC plug-in are updated.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby azims » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm

azims Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm
Hi Goldorak,

I completely understand the need for a subscription model etc. But please simplify the terms.

You have set a annual subscription price, looks like this is $240. Customers subscribing for one year are getting a discounted price, looks like $179 , fine. But forcing users like me who own a full license into buying a 3 year upgrade is unfair.

I feel that at the end of the subscription year, in all fairness, I should be entitled for a perpetual copy of the current version of the software at that point in time. Because 1) I paid full price for an earlier version of the program 2) I paid $179 for your annual maintenance/ development.

This doesn't mean I will leave Otoy or that I wont upgrade next year. I just cannot afford to pay for a 3 year upgrade.

Please make this easy by charging for subscription annually and giving users who already own a perpetual licence the current version of the software at the end of their subscription term.

Thanks,
Azims
azims
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby eklein » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:36 am

eklein Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:36 am
Hi Goldorak,

If I upgrade to 3-year AA for 597 that will give the rent to own option by default. My standalone and 4 plugins that I have now will revert back to a perpetual license hopefully current version that I have at the end of the 3 years. Can you please confirm if this is correct?

Eric
eklein
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KeeWe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 am

KeeWe Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 am
Goldorak wrote:
billyhotdog wrote:I just don't understand these new license options.

I am using Octane for many years, at the moment I have two plugins that I actually need. I need Blender and Houdini and I sometimes use standalone as well. I am running the version 4 beta versions at the moment.

I want to upgrade to RTX cards in the near future and want to use at least 2 RTX GPUs, but preferably more. And maybe also combined with some older 1080 GPUs.

Please tell me what do I need. What does the OctaneRender® All-Access Extension (1 Year) give me?

I am sorry, but it is just extremely confusing and not clear at all.

I want to spend the 179 now with the discount, but I don't understand what I am buying. Will this actually cover my needs or do I need something else? I don't want extra other plugins, that is useless for me, just for the programs I use.

Please advise, thanks.

The sale is going on through Cyber Monday week, so there is still some time left. To keep this as simple as possible, think of these 1-3 year plans as annual maintenance updates to let you use future versions of Octane released beyond V4. The $179/yr upgrade covers a machine node, so both the standalone, and your purchased DCC plug-in are updated.

When I asked about how long the discount lasts you said Sunday. Asking on Friday, I assumed you meant the upcoming Sunday... so we hurried and stressed ourselfs at the office over the weekend for nothing...

Beside that: the license server is still not fixed and you can't provide the service (second render node) you promise in the buying description. On monday the support said something about 24 hours. Last time I heard from the (very responsive and competent) support about it was the 27th with the info that they will inform me when everythings gonna work.

Right now I paid for something without any countervalue.

The $179/yr upgrade covers a machine node, so both the standalone, and your purchased DCC plug-in are updated. <-- And the additional rendernode you mean, right?
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fatrobotsneedlove » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:33 pm

fatrobotsneedlove Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:33 pm
Literally just had to buy the Houdini plugin for a job on November 17. :roll: Like days before this announcement.

Can I get a refund or a credit of the $220 and put it toward a years AA Enterprise subscription?
4x 2080ti hybrids, 4x 980ti Hyrbids. C4D, Houdini.
fatrobotsneedlove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Goldorak Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 pm
fatrobotsneedlove wrote:Literally just had to buy the Houdini plugin for a job on November 17. :roll: Like days before this announcement.

Can I get a refund or a credit of the $220 and put it toward a years AA Enterprise subscription?

Contact support for help here - and reference this post, but please note that AA multi-plugin support is not coming until Q1, and even then any extra plug-ins will be subscription adding - i.e. they will not be perpetual after AA ends, nor work with an offline USB key (at least in the initial release).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby fatrobotsneedlove » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:38 pm

fatrobotsneedlove Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:38 pm
Goldorak wrote:
fatrobotsneedlove wrote:Literally just had to buy the Houdini plugin for a job on November 17. :roll: Like days before this announcement.

Contact support for help here - and reference this post, but please note that AA multi-plugin support is not coming until Q1, and even then any extra plug-ins will be subscription adding - i.e. they will not be perpetual after AA ends, nor work with an offline USB key (at least in the initial release).

I understand that it wouldn't be perpetual like my C4D, Modo, and Standalone licenses, but you're saying that I still wouldn't have access to the Houdini plugin until sometime next year? That's not an option for me.

I don't understand why you would launch this without such a core feature. It's literally the first feature mentioned on the shop page.
4x 2080ti hybrids, 4x 980ti Hyrbids. C4D, Houdini.
fatrobotsneedlove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby noisyboyuk » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 pm

noisyboyuk Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 pm
I'm terribly sorry to ask this once again but the sale is soon to be ending and I need to know whether or not the single year annual license will contribute to rent-to-own? As in if I buy it each year for three years can I then cash that in to buy it (as with other software like Substance or VS)?

Again - sorry to keep asking my questions but I don't want to miss the opportunity to get the discount but I can't make the right choice without being properly informed.

Thanks,

Kraig.
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Goldorak Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:21 pm
noisyboyuk wrote:I'm terribly sorry to ask this once again but the sale is soon to be ending and I need to know whether or not the single year annual license will contribute to rent-to-own? As in if I buy it each year for three years can I then cash that in to buy it (as with other software like Substance or VS)?

Again - sorry to keep asking my questions but I don't want to miss the opportunity to get the discount but I can't make the right choice without being properly informed.

Thanks,

Kraig.

As of right now, it does not, and you should make your purchase decision based on that information, as nothing more than that is concrete.

That being said, we are very much looking into options for 1-2 year plans that would provide something better to users than the hard cut off, but we can't promise what that is going to be until this is vetted more fully with much more user feedback. One option being considered is for expired 1-2 yr AA passes to still allow sporadic access to post V4 builds (with reasonable limits TBD).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Goldorak Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 pm
fatrobotsneedlove wrote:
Goldorak wrote:

I understand that it wouldn't be perpetual like my C4D, Modo, and Standalone licenses, but you're saying that I still wouldn't have access to the Houdini plugin until sometime next year? That's not an option for me.

I don't understand why you would launch this without such a core feature. It's literally the first feature mentioned on the shop page.

Multi-plugin is one of several things you get with AA pass, the others including future updates and an extra slave (which should be on it's way shortly). While it's not ideal, a full V4+Houdini subscription is only $20/month if you must have access to it right away..

EDIT: It's really not fair to ask you to pay for this sub, so please just send this post to the helpdesk and if let them know you are switching to AA Enterprise 1-yr from a Nov 17th Houdini DCC purchase, and to comp you a Studio subscription to Houdini for 90 days so you aren't out of pocket while this gets done. Make sure you send the URL of this post. Thanks!
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements