OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby Goldorak » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:51 am

Goldorak Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:51 am
promity wrote:I, as I suppose, many, have no plans to use all existing plugins for Octane - I only need one plug-in for my main program of modeling and animation. In this regard, it would be wise to introduce a differentiated subscription method - you can subscribe to AA, you can subscribe to only one plugin (or as many as you need, or only two options - one plugin or all plugins).
Or you pay for the upgrade of your boxed license, which includes only the update of the standalone program and the plugin.
I hope Otoy will take into account such needs.

The AA fee - at $14.99/ Month (through BF) is already very low, and mostly covering ongoing user support and overhead over 1-3 years of new updates an services beyond today's V4 perpetual licences now on sale. We could take out the extra plug-ins, cloud services and render slaves (which is what happens in 3 yrs with rent to own if you don't keep up paying annually), but it wouldn't materially affect the annual price. As I pointed out before, if we kept doing version upgrades like V2-V3 at $79, with three or more a year (as we're now doing) you are already the $238 /Yr price we have now.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Refracty » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 am

Refracty Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 am
I would suggest considering a similar license model (the users can choose between updating/purchasing perpetual licenses as well as subscription) as Octane had before while granting All-Access Plugin availability to make it simple.
Additionally the owners of existing plugins can convert the plugin licenses to any kind of Octane licenses (perpetual or subscription) with a price reduction.
I think even when it now causes confusion and demand on the Otoy support desks, a simple and understandable license scheme will help Otoy as well as the Octane user group on a long run.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fantome » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:55 am

fantome Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:55 am
@refracty, i agree with you that an all access plugin by default would simplify things a lot, but i think it represent one problem in the special case of octane.

in fact arnold / renderman / redshift does apply this rules of one price with free access to all pluggins, the problem is that they are working on 3 to 5 apps only.
in the case of octane we are speaking of a product that support more than 15 apps.

the only render engine that have has much app supported with free plugin was Maxwell V3.
And this was a disaster cause some of them like the houdini plugin were simply totally unusable for production.

i also think that 80% of octane users are only interested in standalone + their favorite app plugins, so forcing them to pay for the rest is not a good thing.
but for the 20% that want to use more than one plugins i think that paying an extra is fair.

but it's also important for otoy to get some fresh cash to maintain highend pluggin support. I prefer to pay more but to be sure to get AAA plugins with my DCC, and not a half working full of bug free plugin.

that's why the idea of
199$ - 1 DCC license - that can be switch to any app with some restriction in time or with a max number of reallocation per month allowed looks fair to me.
199$ - 1 AA License - that can be buy on top of the 1 DCC license for those who want more, and are ready to pay more for that.

i am also ready to pay for yearly maintenance as it is inevitable to pay for new features and improvements thus the
49$ maintenance cost per yeers for 1 DCC
49$ maintenance for 1 AA

so for a regular octane user with 1 DCC plugin the cost is :
399$ + 199$ when you buy new license, then
99$ + 49$ per year for maintenance

and for a regular octane user with AA DCC plugin the cost is :
399$ + 199$ + 199$ when you buy new license, then
99$ + 49$ + 49$ per year for maintenance
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KeeWe » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 pm

KeeWe Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 pm
Let me copy/paste my problem from facebook:

Guys, I need some help with setting up network rendering.

I just updated to the all access extension on my perpetual v4 license which states:

------
For perpetual licence/enterprise customers, All-Access plans further grant a secondary render slave node plus access to the ORC cloud rendering service.
------

I now installed v4 on my second computer, just like I did on my main workstation. When trying to log into my Otoy account on my second computer, it says "the license is already in use".

Same thing happens when I try to start the slave daemon.bat

My question is: how do I get my second coomputer to accept my license and be available for network rendering?

Heres how my account manager looks like:
Attachments
otoy-accounts_web.jpg
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby IsolatedNerdCG » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:12 pm

IsolatedNerdCG Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:12 pm
Hey everyone,

im new here but ive been reading this forums for a while, but ive some questions, maybe silly, but need to be clear.
Ive seen that Blender plug-in will be "free" next year, am i right? shall i buy it now or wait? if i buy the "Enterprise Standalone Edition + single DCC Plug-in (without All-Access)" i got the plugin forever, or do i have to pay it again through 1 year?

im very interested on Octane.

appreciate any kind answer

:roll: :?:
IsolatedNerdCG

Postby HHbomb » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm

HHbomb Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm
I need aspirin.....
YOKO Studio | win 10 64 | i7 5930K GTX 3090 | 3dsmax 2022.3 |
HHbomb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby simdal » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:40 pm

simdal Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:40 pm
Keewe are in your same situation.
Maybe I misunderstood.
I had intended that I would receive a second slave network with 179 USD ... but I misunderstood. my English is not good.
Perhaps there is hope: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69646

"OctaneRender 4 / All Access/ Update FAQ: For existing customers with a purchased (Enterprise) Licence:
Do I get a second render node for free when I upgrade to Octane 4 for free?

No. Your free upgrade to V4 gives you access to the same number of render slaves as you had with V3, unless you add Octane All-Access form the upgrade page (see below) which includes a second render slave node.
"
but I have not yet succeeded in getting the second slave network accepted. I trust it is true that I am entitled to a second slave and I trust in a step by step guide
:D :D :D
Win 10 64, 4xGTX780ti 8xTeslaK80, Octane, Blender, Archicad
simdal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby LordFairley » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm

LordFairley Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm
Are V4 Enterprise users going to get a 200 GPU limit as previously stated?
LordFairley

Postby Goldorak » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:22 am

Goldorak Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:22 am
simdal wrote:Keewe are in your same situation.
Maybe I misunderstood.
I had intended that I would receive a second slave network with 179 USD ... but I misunderstood. my English is not good.
Perhaps there is hope: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69646

"OctaneRender 4 / All Access/ Update FAQ: For existing customers with a purchased (Enterprise) Licence:
Do I get a second render node for free when I upgrade to Octane 4 for free?

No. Your free upgrade to V4 gives you access to the same number of render slaves as you had with V3, unless you add Octane All-Access form the upgrade page (see below) which includes a second render slave node.
"
but I have not yet succeeded in getting the second slave network accepted. I trust it is true that I am entitled to a second slave and I trust in a step by step guide
:D :D :D

It's coming soon - we will notify all when it's ready!
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 am

Goldorak Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 am
LordFairley wrote:Are V4 Enterprise users going to get a 200 GPU limit as previously stated?

Over 10GE+ - yes the 200 limit is fine (we have 200 GPU limit already on our datacenter and in special builds since V3). On less than 10GE, which is what most have, we currently have a more conservative default set to 40 as of now (which should be fine over normal LAN). When and if anyone reaches this 40 GPU count please let us know and help us test this a bit further on your systems before we push the count any higher.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements