OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.00

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.00
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.00

Postby abstrax » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 am

abstrax Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 am
Hi all,

This is the first stable release of OctaneRender version 4. The last couple of months we have been working hard to shake out all the bugs that got reported. But first things first:

License upgrade

Unless you have a subscription license, you will have to upgrade your version 3 licenses to version 4. This upgrade is free and can be done via these 4 steps:

1. Go to https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/purchase/
  2. Select "Upgrade" in the top menu.
  3. Click on "UPGRADE NOW" next to "Upgrade existing licenses to OctaneRender 4".
  4. Select the licenses you want to upgrade and confirm.

New GPU requirements

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 387 or higher and if you are working on Mac OS that have a CUDA driver installed that supports at least CUDA 9.1.

New features

For an overview of the main new features and improvements of version 4, please check out our blog post, but in a nutshell these are the main new features that have been added with version 4:

• Overhauled geometry engine that dramatically reduces compilation times.
  • Support for out-of-core geometry.
  • AI Light: Improved sampling of emitters, which is a lot more effective than the old method if you have many small emitters that have only a fairly local effect.
  • AI Denoiser: Cleans up your render, which can dramatically cut render times.
  • Global light inclusion/exclusion.
  • Light linking: Allows the inclusion/exclusion of light IDs in the object layer nodes, which can be used to control the direct influence of emitters on objects.
  • Universal material: Merges the properties of the diffuse, glossy, specular and metal materials into one material.
  • Planetary environment based on the Nishita sky model, simulating the scattering of sun light in the atmosphere to render the sky.
  • UDIM support via the new image tile texture node.
  • Image texture compression.
  • Layer selection in the OpenEXR image export.
  • Dirt support in the info channel passes / kernel.
  • Overall performance improvements in the render engine and in loading HDR and OBJ files.
  • Support to capture direct and indirect light separately in the light render passes.
  • Support for material / object layer map nodes in conjunction with FBX / Alembic geometry archives.
  • Support for emission on sphere primitives.

cuDNN library download

If you haven't followed the development builds, Octane uses now the cuDNN library for NVIDIA, which is a fairly big library (e.g. 286MB on Windows). To avoid having to download this big DLL everytime you update your Octane version, the library is downloaded during startup instead of being provided by the distribution.

-> When you run OctaneRender 4 the first time, you will see this dialog pop up:
cudnn_download.png

You can then either just confirm the download via the button Download or follow the instructions given. The downloaded library will be cached in the user folder and doesn't have to be downloaded again.

Changes since version 4 RC 7:

(For those who have been following along the development releases.)

• Added net render support to the OctaneRender Studio subscription version and changed the maximum number of allowed GPUs to 20.
  • The regular (i.e. non-subscription) version now allows up to 40 GPUs.
  • Added support for dirt in the info channel kernel / passes (see viewtopic.php?p=349787#p349787).
  • Refactored the way how we manage image textures on the GPU and in out-of-core memory. This should reduce the stress on the CUDA driver and solve update issues when out-of-core memory is being used for textures.
  • Trying to make out-of-core memory amanagement more robust in conjunction with the denoiser: Octane makes now sure that enough memory is reserved for the denoiser if out-of-core memory is enabled. We also re-allocate out-of-core memory if an update fails due to a lack of GPU memory.
  • Simplified CUDA texture handling to reduce stress on CUDA driver.
  • Cleaned up the device selection table in the CUDA device preference GUI.
  • Renamed node "OSL UV" to "OSL delayed UV" to make it more obvious what this node is for.
  • Disabled shadow catcher when being used in the inactive layer geometry, i.e. it records side effects similar to a regular diffuse material.
  • Switched to a newer version of the cuDNN library on Windows and Linux to avoid that the Modo renderer fails.
  • When importing Alembic files, Octane now keeps the per-mesh settings for subdivision surfaces.
  • Fixed missing effect of turbidity when the Nishita daylight model is being used (see viewtopic.php?p=348900#p348900).
  • Fixed loading of a saved render state that doesn't contain info passes (see viewtopic.php?p=349270#p349270).
  • Fixed out-of-core usage in the simple mesh case, i.e. if the scene contains only 1 mesh without a transformation.
  • Fixed failure to compile geometry with super long and thin triangles.
  • Fixed spurious CUDA error 700 caused by an inconsistent render data state (see viewtopic.php?p=350209#p350209).
  • Fixed error message if the signature of an OSL shader doesn't match the node type.
  • Fixed missing update of error messages in the OSL editor.
  • Improved synchronization of the state of script/OSL nodes items between the node item, script editor and node inspector (see viewtopic.php?p=349487#p349487).
  • Fixed missing render data update if the motion vector channel is selected / deselected in the info channel kernel node.

Downloads for users with a regular license
OctaneRender for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender for Mac OS
OctaneRender for Linux

Downloads for users with a Studio subscription license
OctaneRender Studio for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender Studio for Mac OS
OctaneRender Studio for Linux

Demo version downloads
OctaneRender Demo version for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Demo version for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Demo version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
OctaneRender Demo version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY Team
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.00 [current 4.xx]

Postby KeeWe » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:17 am

KeeWe Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:17 am
Glad to see its finally here. :)

So whats the deal with extra render nodes for perpetual license holders? I just upgraded my V3 Standalone and c4d license to V4. Am I, and if yess how, able to use my other GPUs in my network for rendering?
Like stated here:

https://youtu.be/6xE3J56pabk?t=51
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:22 am

PolderAnimation Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:22 am
Great work guys thanks!.

Yesterday I posted a request about the toon rendering. (Just in case you are not looking in the previous thread anymore, here are my suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=69243&p=350731#p350731)
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby eisklotz » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:33 am

eisklotz Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:33 am
Hi,

I thought Octane 4 would be free for 2 GPUs?
Last edited by eisklotz on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
eisklotz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby VVG » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 am

VVG Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 am
OctaneBench® 4.00

https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/

"The file you requested does not exist."
Win 10x64, AMD 1950x 16C/32T, RAM 32Gb, RTX 3060x3
Octane-for-C4D(R23.110)2021.x.x, Cycles4D, Centileo. Nvidia 472.47 STUDIO
VVG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:16 am

funk Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:16 am
Thank you OTOY!
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Juanlife » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:39 am

Juanlife Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:39 am
I have some doubts, I have 2 OctaneRender v3 regular licenses + 1 3dsmax plugin ,

1. that mean that now I can use 80 gpus no matter if they are in one or in several computers? I have a couple of extra PCs that I could use
2. what if I upgrade now? can I go back if something goes wrong with my actual project?
3. I noticed that now you sell the render node separately, my actual setup is 1 OctaneRender v3 regular license+3dsmax plugin in my Workstation and another OctaneRender v3 regular license in a linux System with 10 gtx1070 for network rendering, so what now? what about "up to 200 networked GPUs" that you promised? I bought the second license on March 25 2018, after your announcement, I did it thinking about a possible expansion of my rendering capacity...

please, help.
thank in advance
Juan
Last edited by Juanlife on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Juanlife
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mac3d » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:40 pm

mac3d Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:40 pm
Great work, thanks you!!..
My Computer:i7 2,6ghz ram 8gb schede video nvidia 9600tso 512mb gtx560ti 1gb mainboard asus p6t se sistema operativo:Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit
mac3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby augdalmo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:20 pm

augdalmo Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:20 pm
Hi Marcus,

I have followed the instruction to upgrade my licenses v.3 to v.4 and then in my OR account I can see the new licenses but only C4D plugin is available for download. Do I have to deactivate the v.3 license on Standalone on Activation status ?

Thanks.
Manu
augdalmo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:24 pm

bepeg4d Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:24 pm
Hi Manu,
yes, it seems that Standalone v4 has not yet uploaded to the Downloads server, while plugins are already downloadable from there, but you can download Standalone in the first post of this discussion, based on your license type and operating system.
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)