Crash when Activating Octane license

Forums: Crash when Activating Octane license
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Crash when Activating Octane license

Postby grschafer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:56 pm

grschafer Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:56 pm
I've recently tried installing unity editor and the octane plugin on Windows Azure servers (both NC6 and NV6) and the unity editor crashes when "Activating Octane license" (using either a "Unity Account" login or an "Octane Account" login).

Here's a video of the crash happening: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqv3zaupbr9nhgp/octane-activate-crash-crf20.mp4?dl=0

Here's a zip of the AppData/Local/crash_... folder produced by the crash from the video above: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn93jmsdm82wgnj/crash_c8528817ee28f34a92967cc3a10c6855.zip?dl=0

I was able to activate the license and make renders using the same license (Prime Unity) on a local windows machine, but haven't had any luck using the same setup on a Windows Azure server.

Some other info:
  • I did dissociate my license from the local windows machine before trying on the Azure servers (my account subscriptions page says Status=Available)
  • Error message in the crash folder's error.log file:
    Code: Select all
    octane.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
        in module octane.dll at 0033:496d12bb
  • Unity version: 2017.4.5f1_89d1db9cb682
  • Octane plugin version: 1.1.1.1341
  • The Octane log shows no errors

Happy to try any fix or debugging suggestions y'all have!
grschafer

Re: Crash when Activating Octane license

Postby grschafer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm

grschafer Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm
Sorry for the bump, but I'm still looking for a solution to this.

I get the same crash with the Octane 4.00 RC5 Standalone application when logging in with a Version 3 standalone license. The 3.08.5 demo application does work though.

I've tried installing older versions of the unity plugin (via Version Control) and had the below effects:

OctaneUnity version: 1.1.0.1074
Octane version: 3.07 TEST 6
Effect of trying to Load Octane:
Console error:
Authentication error: The timeout date has passed

OctaneUnity version: 1.1.0.1223
Octane version: ? (this field populates after successful Load Octane, which didn't happen)
Console error:

OctaneUnity version: 1.1.1.1317
Octane version: ? (this field populates after successful Load Octane, which didn't happen)
Console error:

OctaneUnity version: 1.1.1.1322
Crash

OctaneUnity version: 1.1.1.1341
Crash

---

Is there some way to use octane 3.x with the unity plugin?

Could I buy a Studio license for just 1 month to try it out? Or would that not likely help (given that the Prime license works fine on non-Azure machines)?
grschafer

Re: Crash when Activating Octane license

Postby Xhed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 am

Xhed Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 am
grschafer wrote:I've recently tried installing unity editor and the octane plugin on Windows Azure servers (both NC6 and NV6) and the unity editor crashes when "Activating Octane license" (using either a "Unity Account" login or an "Octane Account" login).

Here's a video of the crash happening: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqv3zaupbr9nhgp/octane-activate-crash-crf20.mp4?dl=0

Here's a zip of the AppData/Local/crash_... folder produced by the crash from the video above: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn93jmsdm82wgnj/crash_c8528817ee28f34a92967cc3a10c6855.zip?dl=0

I was able to activate the license and make renders using the same license (Prime Unity) on a local windows machine, but haven't had any luck using the same setup on a Windows Azure server.

Some other info:
  • I did dissociate my license from the local windows machine before trying on the Azure servers (my account subscriptions page says Status=Available)
  • Error message in the crash folder's error.log file:
    octane.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
        in module octane.dll at 0033:496d12bb
  • Unity version: 2017.4.5f1_89d1db9cb682
  • Octane plugin version: 1.1.1.1341
  • The Octane log shows no errors

Happy to try any fix or debugging suggestions y'all have!

I've seen a couple of Access Violation issues come up on the forum when running on an Azure server. I don't know if the issue is caused by the server or if it is a regular issue, but since it works on your local machine, that does seem the case.

grschafer wrote:Is there some way to use octane 3.x with the unity plugin?

Could I buy a Studio license for just 1 month to try it out? Or would that not likely help (given that the Prime license works fine on non-Azure machines)?

We only support Octane 4.0 releases, as they added specific features which we require for proper integration in Unity. All 3.x builds have been disabled.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Octane for Unity