OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.08.5 [current 3.xx]

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.08.5 [current 3.xx]
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.08.5 [current 3.xx]

Postby abstrax » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:11 am

abstrax Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:11 am
Hi all,

Ok, since there was still one issue lurking in the render layer shadow pass we made another small bugfix release for 3.08...

For a description of the new features of 3.08, please read the new features thread.

Changes since version 3.08.4:

• Improved sheen of the glossy and metal materials: It was too bright and didn't conserve energy.
  • Lowered the minimum exposure of the camera imager node from 0.001 to 0.00001.
  • Fixed partial shadow on ground planes when using the render layer shadows passes, if there is any light from the environment reaching the plane from below (see viewtopic.php?p=347350#p347350).
  • When importing Alembic files the time sampling parameter of extra UV attributes is now ignored, enabling the rendering of stitched RealFlow mesh exports (see viewtopic.php?p=347717#p347717).
  • Standalone: Object handles now also include transformations of nested node graphs.
  • Standalone: Reduced sensitivity of the object scale handle.
  • Standalone: Fixed UI freeze when highlighted object handle is double-clicked and then dragged.
  • Standalone: Special media keys on your keyboard will be ignored now.
  • Standalone: Modified Windows installer to avoid false positives that some anti-virus tools report for the uninstaller.

Downloads for users with a regular license

regular version for Windows (installer)
regular version for Windows (ZIP archive)
regular version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
regular version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Downloads for users with a Studio subscription license

subscription version for Windows (installer)
subscription version for Windows (ZIP archive)
subscription version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
subscription version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Demo version downloads

demo version for Windows (installer)
demo version for Windows (ZIP archive)
demo version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
demo version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Photoshop workflow plugin download

You can download and install the current Photoshop workflow plugin (1.0.5) either via the Adobe Exchange platform or you can download it from the link below and manually install it.

Windows and Mac OS X
Photoshop extension (v1.0.5) (ZXP archive)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OtaneRender™ Standalone 3.08.5 [current 3.xx]

Postby j7th » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:27 am

j7th Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:27 am
"Demo version downloads" links are broken
Win 7 x64 | GTX560Ti | Core i7 960 3.2GHz | 24GB RAM
j7th
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm

abstrax Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm
j7th wrote:"Demo version downloads" links are broken

Thanks for letting us know we will fix them as soon as possible.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby whersmy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 pm

whersmy Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 pm
Lowered the minimum exposure of the camera imager node from 0.001 to 0.00001.

Nice! But was there a special reason for this?
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec
Dell G5 - 16GB - dgpu GTX1060 - TB3 egpu @ 1060 / RTX 4090

Octane Render experiments
whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 pm

abstrax Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 pm
whersmy wrote:

I don't think it's important for the normal user, but in some cases (where either very bright HDRIs or the sun was involved), I wanted to look at the various reflections without having them blown out, but couldn't because I couldn't reduce the exposure low enough.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Molotov » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:28 am

Molotov Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:28 am
Hey lads. Do I have to wait for my software's plugin to match the standalone version? I'm currently on 3.08.4 for Cinema4d
Molotov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby milanm » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 am

milanm Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 am
whersmy wrote:

abstrax wrote:I don't think it's important for the normal user, but in some cases (where either very bright HDRIs or the sun was involved), I wanted to look at the various reflections without having them blown out, but couldn't because I couldn't reduce the exposure low enough.

IMHO It's very useful when you use real world light intensities or if you want to use tonemapping LUTs that take advantage of the extra dynamic range by boosting exposure. Also, as Marcus (abstrax) already mentioned, sometimes we would have to lower light intensity (or even worse change materials) to prevent reflections from 'blowing out' but that would, in turn, also make our diffuse (GI) bounces darker and less realistic.

I don't know if I'm a normal user or not but this is quite important for me so thank you very much for the extra 6 stops of dynamic range!

Cheers
Milan
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:20 am

itsallgoode9 Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:20 am
milanm wrote:
whersmy wrote:

abstrax wrote:I don't think it's important for the normal user, but in some cases (where either very bright HDRIs or the sun was involved), I wanted to look at the various reflections without having them blown out, but couldn't because I couldn't reduce the exposure low enough.

IMHO It's very useful when you use real world light intensities or if you want to use tonemapping LUTs that take advantage of the extra dynamic range by boosting exposure. Also, as Marcus (abstrax) already mentioned, sometimes we would have to lower light intensity (or even worse change materials) to prevent reflections from 'blowing out' but that would, in turn, also make our diffuse (GI) bounces darker and less realistic.

I don't know if I'm a normal user or not but this is quite important for me so thank you very much for the extra 6 stops of dynamic range!

Cheers
Milan

Out of curiosity, do you get visually different results if you have a lower camera exposure then boost the intensity of your light sources, compared to having a higher camera exposure but lowering the intensities of your light sources? I had never considered this before, but your response makes me think maybe that is the case (the higher intensity lower camera exposure would give light more energy to penetrate SSS and bounce around surfaces and such?).

I guess I always though exposure was an arbitrary "make darker" "make brighter" setting in renderers and didn't matter as long as you adjusted your light intensities to create a properly exposed image.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby milanm » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:42 am

milanm Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:42 am
No, there shouldn't be any difference AFAIK, assuming that you're adjusting both by the same %. Rendering is done in a linear color space so light will always bounce and absorb the same way. I was referring to the old school way of lighting shots without making any adjustments to exposure. Kind of like the stuff Alex Fry is talking about right here. It's about making a look by adjusting lights, shaders and render settings instead of doing a proper color grade in post/tone mapping and keeping the light intensities and colors in your scene as they are in the real world.

Exposure setting also controls how much dynamic range we have in our renders. Kind of like sensitivity of camera sensors or ASA rating of film. It lets us emulate a dynamic range of a specific camera. When you combine this with correct real world colors, lights and correct tone response, all of that together produces a recognizable look as opposed to eyeballing everything. Exposure 1 with no highlight compression = iPhone 6. Exposure 1 + max. Highlight Compression = Canon DSLR. Exposure ~0.03125 = Arri Alexa / Vision 3 stock etc.

I hope any of this makes sense. In case it doesn't, just try it out for yourself, like I did a while ago. Trust me, it's worth it. Just make sure to keep 18% reflectance (0.18 linear) exactly where it should be. ;)

Cheers
Milan
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)