OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6

Forums: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6

Postby abstrax » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:49 pm

abstrax Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:49 pm
Hi all,

We were hoping that RC5 would be the last release candidate, but there were still too many important changes we would like to have tested before we call it a stable version.

There is especially one issue that was reported by various users where Octane rendering fails with spurious CUDA error 2 (out of memory). It seems to happen at specific points during the scene initialization phase but during CUDA calls that actually don't allocate any memory. We can think of two possible reasons for that: Either it's a bug somewhere in the graphics/CUDA driver or it's a side-effect of some other bug occurring at an earlier point in time which doesn't immediately fail. For the one scenario where we could reproduce the issue, we have found a workaround to "fix" it, but since it might be just some obscure side-effect of some other problem, it might pop up again in some other scenario. I.e. we need more data from users and more failure cases and any help by you is very much appreciated.

Please note that this build will expire in 120 days, this is now shown on the bottom right of the Standalone release.

As before, some introductory material on V4 can be found here: first release post of V4.

Please make sure you have NVIDIA driver 387 or newer on Windows and Linux, and any CUDA driver for Mac that supports CUDA 9.1. Please also note that architecture improvements mean we can no longer support Fermi GPUs.

Changes since OctaneRender 4 RC 5:

• Reverted changes to the volume rendering in the direct lighting kernel when the AO mode is being used which were made in 4 RC 3. We will address the original problem and other volume render issues again in a future update.
  • Lowered the minimum exposure of the camera imager node from 0.001 to 0.00001.
  • Improved sheen of the universal, glossy and metal materials: In glossy and metal materials it was too bright and didn't conserve energy and in the universal material it was too dark/subtle.
  • Improved handling of emitting primitives that have no area.
  • Fixed missing statistics for emission primitive and instance counts.
  • Fixed AI light crash when you scale an emitter down to 0.0f.
  • Fixed resource leak every time the denoiser is disabled and enabled again.
  • Fixed missing motion blur when an OSL camera is being used.
  • Fixed incorrect inclusion of the environment in the denoised main pass if render layers are enabled and keep environment is on.
  • Fixed number overflow in denoiser in certain situations (see viewtopic.php?p=347154#p347154).
  • Fixed issue that coating and sheen channels of the universal material were missing in the reflection filter pass.
  • Fixed partial shadow on ground planes when using the render layer shadows passes, if there is any light from the environment reaching the plane from below (see viewtopic.php?p=347350#p347350).
  • Fixed render system freeze when a greyscale value texture is used as input of a displacement node.
  • Fixed interactive region rendering not properly resetting the tone-map intervals. The tone-map interval is now also limited to 4sec when active.
  • Trying to work around CUDA error 2 (out of memory) by using a different / slower method to clear GPU memory (see above).
  • When importing Alembic files the time sampling parameter of extra UV attributes is now ignored, enabling the rendering of stitched RealFlow mesh exports (see viewtopic.php?p=347717#p347717).
  • Standalone: Object handles now also include transformations of nested node graphs.
  • Standalone: Reduced sensitivity of the object scale handle.
  • Standalone: Fixed UI freeze when highlighted object handle is double-clicked and then dragged.
  • Standalone: Special media keys on your keyboard will be ignored now.
  • Standalone: Modified Windows installer to avoid false positives that some anti-virus tools report for the uninstaller.

Downloads for users with a regular license
OctaneRender for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender for Mac OS
OctaneRender for Linux

Downloads for users with a Studio subscription license
OctaneRender for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender for Mac OS
OctaneRender for Linux

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6 [latest version 4]

Postby pixym » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 am

pixym Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 am
Thanks for your serious work.
Work Station : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - Intel i9 7980XE (2,6ghz 18 cores / 36 threads) - 32GB - 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
NET RENDER : MB Biostar TB250-BTC Pro - Celeron 2C/2T - Open "Mining" Rig - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7
pixym
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 am

funk Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 am
Thanks OTOY
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm

coilbook Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm
My GPU Failure ( out of memory ) happened this way:
I had 2 3ds max windows opened. After one 3ds max was done rendering I went to the second 3ds max window. There I went to the network rendering to steal slaves. After that I opened octane viewport to adjust brightness, etc. Once I started rendering on the second 3ds max window I got GPU failure during denosing stage. So I had to uncheck denoise from my display card and check denoise for rendering card. It seems that vram didnt get cleared on the denoising card therefore i got an error while rendering (or just a bug) I know it is a display card but it has 12 gb of vram plus the first 3ds max scene worked. Hopefully it helps.
Attachments
denosie.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Refracty Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm
Thank you Marcus. Great fixes!
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Jolbertoquini Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:25 pm
Hi Marcus,

Thanks a lot for the Realflow cache fix, I'm glad you find a way for this , I'm really happy! You Guys Rocks!

Cheers,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 pm

funk Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 pm
Universal with metallic set to 1 has reflection artifacts not seen in the metallic material

universal_metallic_artifacts.png

EDIT: Universal clearcoat seems to be affected by this too
Attachments
universal_metallic_artifacts.orbx
(722.58 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Last edited by funk on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 pm

funk Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 pm
This combination of sheen + coat + ior causes fireflies and reflection artifacts

universal_coat_sheen_fireflies.png
Attachments
universal_coat_sheen_fireflies.orbx
(716.38 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby osiosiosi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:38 am

osiosiosi Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:38 am
Still...

00:55:34.273: +++++ Plugin running.
03:35:03.922: CUDA error 2 on device 0: out of memory
03:35:03.923: -> failed to allocate device memory
03:35:03.925: device 0: failed to upload data texture 4 of context 0
03:35:03.927: Render engine failure occured! (WARNING)
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 pm

abstrax Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 pm
osiosiosi wrote:Still...

00:55:34.273: +++++ Plugin running.
03:35:03.922: CUDA error 2 on device 0: out of memory
03:35:03.923: -> failed to allocate device memory
03:35:03.925: device 0: failed to upload data texture 4 of context 0
03:35:03.927: Render engine failure occured! (WARNING)

Thanks for the report. Is it possible that you actually run out of memory? Data texture 4 is used for geometry data.

What is your current system configuration you are using (OS, CPU, RAM, graphics cards, VRAM, graphics driver version)? Do you have out-of-core enabled? Does it render in older version?

Thank you for your help.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Development Build Releases