OctaneRender™ V4 XB4

Forums: OctaneRender™ V4 XB4
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ V4 XB4

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:59 am

Notiusweb Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:59 am
Zay wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:GOAL - I want to have the background iPad receive no shadow from the Purple sphere blocking the White emitter sphere.

To kill the shadow coming from the purple sphere you need to add a "Object Layer Map" to it.

Thx Zay.

Hmmm...Otoy, more specific than killing the purple sphere's shadow is what I would want, I want just the iPad to get no shadow, meaning that if there were other objects yet in between the purple sphere and iPad, they would in fact get the shadow from the purple sphere, just not the iPad.....maybe there is no way then, to isolate an otherwise "shadow-receiving object" from getting a shadow?
ie,
if I put another green sphere between the iPad and the purple sphere, have an option so that the in-between green sphere would get the shadow from the purple sphere, but then be able to select it so that the iPad would not be getting the shadow from the purple sphere.

Otoy team, maybe add in a 2nd Shadow Visibility checkbox in Object Layer Map,
ie --
Shadow Visibility - Receives shadow
Shadow Visibility - Casts shadow

...so that you could isolate separate objects from both casting/receiving shadows (almost along the lines of the new Light ID system where some reflect and some can be excluded.)

THX!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:43 am

Zay Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:43 am
Talking about shadows.
Otoy - could you please fix the "Shadow visibility" when lights are bouncing? It still cast shadows from indirect lights. Not the first time I mention this, but nobody has given any answers to this major problem yet.

Here is a scene with 1 light and 7 objects. 2 of the objects is in direct light while the objects behind the light source get the indirect light from the bouncing lights on the walls.
room 7 bounces.JPG

And here with camera/shadows visibility unchecked.
The objects behind the light source still have full shadows. The object in front has not. Well, they have a little from the indirect lights. But if you would set the Diffuse Depth to 1 so there's no bouncing light, you would not see a trace at all from the objects in front of the light.
room 7 bounces no shadows.JPG

And here is the scene file if someone wants to play with it.
room.orbx
(286.17 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:47 pm

Notiusweb Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:47 pm
Zay wrote:Talking about shadows.
Otoy - could you please fix the "Shadow visibility" when lights are bouncing? It still cast shadows from indirect lights. Not the first time I mention this, but nobody has given any answers to this major problem yet.

Wow, that is like the Hiroshima atomic blast shadows.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Issa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:22 pm

Issa Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:22 pm
I am making some sort of point cloud rendering in octane using scatter node.

I can easily load over 10 millions points in octane 3 but no way for v 4, even with out-of-core turned on. Please tell me that will be fixed.
The dream for v4 may be to be able to handel 1 billion instance or closer.
I deal with billion of photogrametric points from time to time at work.

I took the model from this site for my test:
https://dronemapper.com/sample_data/
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Issa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:47 pm

haze Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:47 pm
Issa wrote:I am making some sort of point cloud rendering in octane using scatter node.

I can easily load over 10 millions points in octane 3 but no way for v 4, even with out-of-core turned on. Please tell me that will be fixed.
The dream for v4 may be to be able to handel 1 billion instance or closer.
I deal with billion of photogrametric points from time to time at work.

I took the model from this site for my test:
https://dronemapper.com/sample_data/

Is it a render failure or Octane crashes when you try to render? Are you running out of VRAM in v4?
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Issa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Issa Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:52 pm
Is it a render failure or Octane crashes when you try to render? Are you running out of VRAM in v4?

hi haze,
I get a gpu failure in both out-of-core on/off, octane v4 xb4.
Octane is not shutdown.
Issa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 pm

haze Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 pm
Issa wrote:

hi haze,
I get a gpu failure in both out-of-core on/off, octane v4 xb4.
Octane is not shutdown.

Ok. Would you be able to upload the scene to dropbox or somewhere I can download it so I can take a look?
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Issa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Issa Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:25 pm
Would you be able to upload the scene to dropbox or somewhere I can download it so I can take a look?

I can send you a private message an .orbx by wetransfer tomorrow morning (Paris) :)
Issa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:40 pm

haze Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:40 pm
Zay wrote:Talking about shadows.

I talked to Marcus about it, currently this is a limitation of the system. There are ways to change this, but to determine which way, we would need to know what it would be used for - can you give us an example in your workflow where you need this (for our understanding)?

In the mean time,we will fix the tooltips on these settings to indicate that they operate only for direct light.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Zay » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 am

Zay Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 am
haze wrote: There are ways to change this, but to determine which way, we would need to know what it would be used for - can you give us an example in your workflow where you need this (for our understanding)?

In the mean time,we will fix the tooltips on these settings to indicate that they operate only for direct light.

I use it all the time for indoor scenes. On walls, doors, ceilings, windows - where ever I need a fill light and its reflection. Especially for wall lights to assist in various ways.

But - the problem is also in the Octane Environment/HDRI.

hdri.jpg
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases