OCTANE TO VR

Forums: OCTANE TO VR
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

OCTANE TO VR

Postby Jasonr » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Jasonr Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 pm
What are the chances for a future release to be able to have a direct viewer in octane to "get" in a model with 3d glasses like Vive and walk around.
I am not talking about cubemaps but real 3d.
Recently an app wa released by Abvent that is based on UE and has direct collaboration with 3d viewing.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OCTANE TO VR

Postby 3dreamstudios » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:19 am

3dreamstudios Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:19 am
I too would love to know the best way to get VR content on Occulus Go or other from Octane Developed content in Lightwave.

Until then I'm looking at Unigine a VR engine that allows PBR rendering that does not need UV Lightmaps like Unity and UE. It's actually pretty amazing how close I can get a model to look like Octane render pretty quickly.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OCTANE TO VR

Postby ristoraven » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:14 pm

ristoraven Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:14 pm
I made with Octane a 180 stereo short movie (+ the song), compiled it to an app and sent it trough Oculus submission process for GearVR and Oculus Go. It got finally approved after all the security and functional features were cleared, but only for "Keys Only", which means, my app is now "under the desk" at Oculus Store and people may gain access to it, if I give them the key. I didn't get any reason for this arrangement, but it seems Oculus isn't interested about video content as such, unless it is distributed for free trough Facebook review process. This is my best guess.
Here's previous topic about it and a bunch of keys.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=68595

(pardon for the slightly negative / pessimist tone in my post there, I just ran out of fuel when I got the news it's "keys only".. I got over it already and figuring out what to do next. :) )

I believe 180/220 is the most useful format, since you can direct the scenes like you would traditionally when shooting a film, and know that the audience will have their eyeballs in the area you want important things to happen. With 360, this is impossible. 360 really is a useless format. With 180 or 220 the audience accepts it is a passive observer, instead of wanting to interact with the environment or wanting to have a freedom to explore it. 180 or 220 is the true 3D movie format. I am actually very surprised that only adult entertainment is adopting this and it seems, honestly, that I have been the only guy in the world who has attempted to make something cinematic, safe for whole family, with this format.. :oops:
I personally am not interested in making games, but films. 2D has completely lost it's interest to me, and I want to keep on developing this.

If you have GearVR, just grab a key code from the other topic, open from the phone oculus app (not with the headset on), from the settings "Redeem Code", insert the code and it will install this. Check it out :) . Keep in mind, in essence it's just testing out the format. Don't expect nothing too fancy :)
But imagine what YOU could do with this format.
With more render power, cheezzz.. come on people, this could be crazy awesome. :)

I can give detailed instructions how to make an app with Unity for your videos, if people are interested.

Edit.
Here's the trailer for my little test run:
https://vimeo.com/285530888
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion