Second graphics card not working with the plugin

Forums: Second graphics card not working with the plugin
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Second graphics card not working with the plugin

Postby filipe_sheepwolf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm

filipe_sheepwolf Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm
Hello everyone.

I was using a gtx 1080ti for rendering in Poser. I recently bought another gtx 1080ti and it's properly installed, however, I'm having problems with the Poser plugin!

When I open the plugin and go to the "Cuda Devices" tab, I enable the first graphics card and it renders fine... then I enable both graphcis cards and it still renders fine (at double speed! so the second graphics card is definitely working) but when I disable the first graphics card and enable ONLY the second one, nothing happens! The preview window just freezes!

I really need this option so I can casually use the first graphics card for other stuff while the second graphics card is rendering, but right now, this is not working.

Here's what I've tried so far:
-Restarting the octane plugin, restarting poser and even restarting the computer
-Re-installing the octane plugin
-Re-installing a previous (stable) version of the plugin
-Reinstalling the nvidia drivers (updated to the latest version today)
-Switching the graphics cards on the motherboard! And the exact same problem still happens... The graphics card at the bottom won't render by itself, (so, none of the graphics cards are broken, octane just refuses to render on the second graphics card, regardless of the order I install them on my motherboard)

Hardware/software info:
1 Gtx 1080 ti Aorus Extreme Edition
1 Gtx 1080 ti MSI Aero OC
Motherboard: Asus X-99 Pro
Power Supply: Corsair RM 1000i

Windows 10, 64 bits
Octane Plugins I tried: "OctaneRender_for_Poser_3_7_0_85_Win64" and "OctaneRender_for_Poser_3_08_0_86_Win64"
Poser 11

NOTE: This problem does not happen with the Octane Benchmark tool, neither with the Octane Standalone. Those work just fine! (I can use the second graphics card without enabling the first one, and it renders fine)

It's only in Poser that this happens, which is why I'm posting this on the plugin forum.

Please let me know if there's a solution for this as I'm really needing help. Thank you!
filipe_sheepwolf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Second graphics card not working with the plugin

Postby Zay » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Zay Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 pm
Just tested it and it works without any problems for me on 3_08_0_86 and 3_08_0_87 . I can disable/enable the cards however I want - even disable both and then enable them one it a time again while having the viewport open and rendering.

Make sure it's not a Vram problem. Have you tried it with a very simple scene like a box?
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:09 pm

face_off Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:09 pm
When I open the plugin and go to the "Cuda Devices" tab, I enable the first graphics card and it renders fine... then I enable both graphcis cards and it still renders fine (at double speed! so the second graphics card is definitely working) but when I disable the first graphics card and enable ONLY the second one, nothing happens! The preview window just freezes!
It is possible that the card you are disabling is being used for tonemapping, and disabling means there is no card assigned to tonemap. If that is the cause, the first release of the Octane 4.0 version of the plugin should resolve this.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby filipe_sheepwolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:43 am

filipe_sheepwolf Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:43 am
Zay wrote:Just tested it and it works without any problems for me on 3_08_0_86 and 3_08_0_87 . I can disable/enable the cards however I want - even disable both and then enable them one it a time again while having the viewport open and rendering.

Make sure it's not a Vram problem. Have you tried it with a very simple scene like a box?

Thank you for trying!
It's not related to Vram, I did try a very simple scene (like a box) but the problem persists...

I can either render with the first GPU or both GPUs, but never with the second GPU alone

face_off wrote:It is possible that the card you are disabling is being used for tonemapping, and disabling means there is no card assigned to tonemap. If that is the cause, the first release of the Octane 4.0 version of the plugin should resolve this.

Thank you for the reply!
I'm really not familiar with this, is there any way to check if this is the problem? (is there a way to know if Octane is using the card on top for the tonemaping?) or do I have to wait for the new version of the plugin? (I'm assuming there's still no release date, right?) :?

Some updates:

I tried to turn off the computer and connecting the monitor to the second graphics card (the one below the first GPU). Windows is now using the second graphics card as the "default" for the system. I checked this using MSI Afterburner, and It confirms that the second GPU is being used (around 5% when I'm doing basic work on the desktop, and around 50% or more if I launch a game) while the graphics card on top is at a stable 0%

But the problem with the Octane plugin persists. I can't render anything with the second GPU (I either choose the first one, or both)

At least this partially solves my problem for now (as I can just use the second graphics card to work in Maya or anything else, while the one on the top is rendering...)

However, when I enable both graphics card on Octane render (so it renders animations faster while I'm sleeping!) this happens:
Octane performance.PNG

The second graphics card is not performing as it should :( Performance goes up and down...
This is on a moderately heavy scene (with SSS) However, it's worth mentioning that this never happens on the graphics card on top. In fact, I can render the same scene using the first GPU and everything works fine... But enabling the second GPU, which is a GTX1080Ti, (just like the one on top!) will cause this instability

The problem is not as severe on a very light scene (a simple plane with a single light source):
Octane (light scene).png
Octane (light scene).png (19.93 KiB) Viewed 7149 times

But you can see that the second GPU sometimes drops it's performance...

I really don't know if there's any solution for this.
filipe_sheepwolf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby filipe_sheepwolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 am

filipe_sheepwolf Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 am
It's solved!

Thank you for the suggestions, fortunately I was just able to fix it. When you mentioned that "tonemap" thing, for some reason I figured that this was stored in some kind of configuration file...

So I typed %AppData% on the start menu, and then went to: "C:\Users\Sheepwolf\AppData\Roaming"
In there I found a folder with the name: "OctaneRender" which I immediately removed from there (I moved the folder somewhere else as a backup, just in case)

Then I launched Poser, the Octane plugin asked for my login username and password (which I was expecting it to, as the folder I removed also had some user credential files!) after writing those, the renderer is finally working as it should!
I can enable any graphics card I want, and the performance seems to be fine too:
Octane Fixed.PNG
Octane Fixed.PNG (4 KiB) Viewed 7148 times

Thank you for the help ;)
filipe_sheepwolf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:20 am

face_off Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:20 am
Nice work! Thanks for letting us know.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby filipe_sheepwolf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:35 pm

filipe_sheepwolf Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:35 pm
face_off wrote:Nice work! Thanks for letting us know.

Paul

Sure! ;)
filipe_sheepwolf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser