OctaneRender V4 XB3

Forums: OctaneRender V4 XB3
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender V4 XB3

Postby arvinmoses0122 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 pm

arvinmoses0122 Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 pm
I'm getting same results with displacement. Instant crash when map is plugged in. Running tests right now on workarounds.
arvinmoses0122
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:56 am

funk Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:56 am
I wanted to post an update for anyone who read my previous posts in other threads. The denoiser was causing my PC to reboot if I used the 1080 Ti. I thought the PSU may have been the problem.

I had a single PCIE power cable (Y split) from the PSU to the 1080ti. I changed this so 2 separate cables/rails power the 1080 Ti instead. This solved reboot issues when using the 1080 Ti to denoise.

I still got reboots if I used both the 1080 Ti and GTX670 for denoising, but I solved this by using additional drive cables with a molex > 8 pin adapter for the GTX670. I can now denoise with both cards without any issues.

Denoising is actually faster if I use the 1080 Ti alone though. Adding the 670 seems to slow things down a bit.

EDIT: I also complained about denoising being slow. It turns out denoising on the 1080 Ti is actually quite fast (now that I can use it)
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itou31 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 am

itou31 Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 am
Yes, about speed denoising, I use my two 1080ti only. It slow down when combine with my other 980Ti.
I've made some turnable animation with XB3 (4K resolution with 100sp + denoise, between 12s to 18s for each frame for the 2 characters)

Gain speed only on heavy render (denoise is great for animation) over the 3.08, else the 3.08 still faster on some way compared to xb3 + denoise for a same result (about 300sp vs 100sp+denoise)
I7-3930K 64Go RAM Win8.1pro , main 3 titans + 780Ti
Xeon 2696V3 64Go RAM Win8.1/win10/win7, 2x 1080Ti + 3x 980Ti + 2x Titan Black
itou31
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gardeler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 am

gardeler Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 am
First off, I forgot to say Awesome job on the alembic reader! BIG improvement!

found two small issues:
-Enabling the Environment render output almost doubles my render time. Since there is no calculations here, only the HDRI image, I guess something is wrong? (I have no fog or anything else than just a hdri image.)

-If you change anything on the geometry properties after you have loaded an animated alembic, (like un-checkbox "merge materials with the same name"), the time line disappears. You will have to save your file and reopen it and it is back again. This also happens in 3.07. Both on linux and windows.
gardeler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm

coilbook Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm
Since, I guess, we cannot have the dirt texture locked to one object (no influence by external mesh in close proximity) Can we at least have objects that are set to invisible not to generate dirt on objects with dirt material or please make it where dirt is locked to one mesh only Please!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
dirt.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:28 pm

coilbook Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:28 pm
my master PC only has 2 video cards. One for rendering another one for display. Can I use the third card from the salve for denoising?
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby milanm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 pm

milanm Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 pm
@coilbook

Baking dirt to a texture could speedup your renders DRAMATICALLY. Just make a separate scene with the boat isolated and a white diffuse material with dirt, switch the camera to bake and use that render instead of dirt on your model. If the model doesn't have UVs even a basic 5 minute unwrap will do. If you change your mind about the radius, later you can just open up that scene and update the map. I'm saying all this because I had an unpleasant experience on a model with over 6000 elements where Dirt caused a MASSIVE slowdown and it actually makes perfect sense because it's a shader that has to go back and raytrace other pieces of geometry for every pixel in your final render. Same approach is needed for rounded edges and is probably very very hard to make changes to Dirt or introduce features like that without causing a major slow down in Octane.

With all of that said, why the hell are you not complaining to Phoenix FD !!!!???

OFF: Anyway, I'm preparing to post a huge topic about a simple but VERY cool OSL shader(?) that's going to open up a world of possibilities. Like having separate shaders under water, speeding up lights in volumetrics, turning off shadows or AO and hiding objects (nothing Dirt related though, for now).

EDIT: IT'S HERE!

Regards
Milan
Last edited by milanm on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 pm

coilbook Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 pm
milanm wrote:@coilbook

Baking dirt to a texture could speedup your renders DRAMATICALLY. Just make a separate scene with the boat isolated and a white diffuse material with dirt, switch the camera to bake and use that render instead of dirt on your model. If the model doesn't have UVs even a basic 5 minute unwrap will do. If you change your mind about the radius, later you can just open up that scene and update the map. I'm saying all this because I had an unpleasant experience on a model with over 6000 elements where Dirt caused a MASSIVE slowdown and it actually makes perfect sense because it's a shader that has to go back and raytrace other pieces of geometry for every pixel in your final render. Same approach is needed for rounded edges and is probably very very hard to make changes to Dirt or introduce features like that without causing a major slow down in Octane.

With all of that said, why the hell are you not complaining to Phoenix FD !!!!???

OFF: Anyway, I'm preparing to post a huge topic about a simple but VERY cool OSL shader(?) that's going to open up a world of possibilities. Like having separate shaders under water, speeding up lights in volumetrics, turning off shadows or AO and hiding objects (nothing Dirt related though, for now).

SNEAK PEEK

Regards
Milan

Thanks! Hopefully it will work with 3ds max too
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vijay » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm

vijay Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm
coilbook wrote:my master PC only has 2 video cards. One for rendering another one for display. Can I use the third card from the salve for denoising?

Sorry, Not possible and don't see this coming in near future as well.
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 am

coilbook Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 am
vijay_thirukonda wrote:
coilbook wrote:my master PC only has 2 video cards. One for rendering another one for display. Can I use the third card from the salve for denoising?

Sorry, Not possible and don't see this coming in near future as well.

Thanks is one card enough to denoise or more cards is better? Are titans better at it than 1080s?
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases