OctaneRender V4 XB3

Forums: OctaneRender V4 XB3
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

OctaneRender V4 XB3

Postby haze » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 am

haze Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 am
Dear all,

This is an updated release of our experimental V4 work, containing some more fixes and improvements.

For introductory material on V4, please see the first release post of V4.

As with all experimental and test releases, please do not use this build for production work, and please note that we still classify this as an experimental release. We cannot guarantee that scenes saved with this version would be compatible with future releases.

Important notes:
  • NVIDIA Driver version 387 or higher is required on Windows and Linux, and any CUDA driver for Mac should work that supports CUDA 9.1.
  • Octane no longer supports Fermi GPUs.
  • We are still working through a lot of changes required to make Network Render operational. This is directly related to AI Scene and AI Light.
  • AI Denoiser will not denoise volumes and hairs yet.

Changes since OctaneRender V4 XB2.1

• Fixed render job graph node.
  • Fixed invert option of instance range node.
  • Material map nodes and object layer map nodes can now be used to remap materials of FBX and Alembic archives.
  • Fixed bone deformation not always working correctly when a skeleton is shared between two or more skinned meshes.
  • Fixed crashing material preview on some Kepler cards, and a separate issue where render failures happen spontaneously.
  • Fixed fireflies in indirect reflections for specular materials.
  • Fixed a couple of issues with Beckmann and GGX where sampling caused fireflies in specular materials when both reflection and transmission are enabled.
  • Sphere primitives now correctly cause direct light sampling.
  • Fixed large image deep pixel rendering having wrong results.
  • Fixed render failure sometimes when one or more info passes are enabled.
  • Fixed denoiser status text not always being visible when denoising.

Downloads for users with a regular license

regular version for Windows (installer)
regular version for Windows (ZIP archive)
regular version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
regular version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Downloads for users with a subscription license

subscription version for Windows (installer)
subscription version for Windows (ZIP archive)
subscription version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
subscription version for Linux (ZIP archive)
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender V4 XB3

Postby mykola1985 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:37 am

mykola1985 Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:37 am
and what about plugins? when will we see them? :?
i7 3770K, 12GB RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 780 - 6GB OC Edition + ASUS GTX 780 Ti - 3GB, win 7 ultimate 64bit
mykola1985
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:46 am

haze Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:46 am
mykola1985 wrote:and what about plugins? when will we see them? :?

XB3 includes the essential changes needed for Max, Maya, Blender and SU. It's in the hands of the plugin developers, so I wouldn't say it would be too long now.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mykola1985 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:10 am

mykola1985 Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:10 am
thanx a lot for your reply! :-) can't wait anymore...
i7 3770K, 12GB RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 780 - 6GB OC Edition + ASUS GTX 780 Ti - 3GB, win 7 ultimate 64bit
mykola1985
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 am

PolderAnimation Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 am
"Material map nodes and object layer map nodes can now be used to remap materials of FBX and Alembic archives."

This is great! This is a very nice feature for our studio! Thanks so much!!

I would have one extra request on material maps and object layer map nodes. Is is possible when grouping abc files with a group node that the material maps and object layer maps give 1 input pin (an overwrite of all the shaders in the group node)?
I understand that it is impossible to make them work with all input pins but it would really help to just have one, that overwrites all shaders in a group node.

This is handy because we use allot of different abc files in our ocs file (30-50 depending on the shot).
And this would make it a lot easier to make a custom pass like for example an 'falloff render pass'.

Or I can also imagion that we can have a custom renderpass where you can plugin in one shader.
Hope you can consider something like this.

Cheers!
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:50 pm

coilbook Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:50 pm
One question to Otoy . When you guys talked about Octane 4 you kept saying almost real time pathtracing rendering using Brigade technology ( I saw videos and it was really a real time fly through). I really thought 1-2 frames per second rendering time for OCtane 4. I guess this is a myth?
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Kalua » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:52 am

Kalua Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:52 am
I dont think these experimental builds include the brigade engine yet... the beta goes for the AI denoiser at this moment. Somene correct me if Im wrong.
C4D 25.117 Octane 2022.1.2 R4, <<2 X 3090 + NVlink>>, Windows 10, X399, AMD TR 1950X, 128 GB RAM, NVIDIA SD 536.67
https://www.behance.net/PaperArchitect
Kalua
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:30 am

haze Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:30 am
coilbook wrote:One question to Otoy . When you guys talked about Octane 4 you kept saying almost real time pathtracing rendering using Brigade technology ( I saw videos and it was really a real time fly through). I really thought 1-2 frames per second rendering time for OCtane 4. I guess this is a myth?

We are still in experimental stage yes, but a significant portion of our Brigade tech has already made its way into Octane. As a demonstration in standalone XB3, you can set up a scene with several million triangles, enable the gizmos, and move/scale/rotate objects in that scene in real time - compared to V3 where you would have to wait for the scene to rebuild for each individual change.

Also, for bone deformations, and for vertex animations (where the meshes have constant topology), you'll see the same effect - real time updates - it's possibly the most crucial and the most invasive set of changes introduced to Octane in V4.

We are also still making changes to the AI Light system, and elsewhere there is still a lot of tuning and profiling left to do.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 pm

coilbook Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 pm
haze wrote:
coilbook wrote:One question to Otoy . When you guys talked about Octane 4 you kept saying almost real time pathtracing rendering using Brigade technology ( I saw videos and it was really a real time fly through). I really thought 1-2 frames per second rendering time for OCtane 4. I guess this is a myth?

We are still in experimental stage yes, but a significant portion of our Brigade tech has already made its way into Octane. As a demonstration in standalone XB3, you can set up a scene with several million triangles, enable the gizmos, and move/scale/rotate objects in that scene in real time - compared to V3 where you would have to wait for the scene to rebuild for each individual change.

Also, for bone deformations, and for vertex animations (where the meshes have constant topology), you'll see the same effect - real time updates - it's possibly the most crucial and the most invasive set of changes introduced to Octane in V4.

We are also still making changes to the AI Light system, and elsewhere there is still a lot of tuning and profiling left to do.

Hi Haze
Thanks a lot for explaining !
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gardeler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am

gardeler Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am
Displacement seems to be broken?
If I try to add displacement to a shader I get an instant crash. Also happened with XB 2.1. Works in 3.07, but it breaks the subsurface calculation. (I am trying to dig into what causes that.)

Can you reproduce?
I'm on win10 with the latest drivers.

Thanks

Martin
gardeler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Development Build Releases