OctaneRender V4 XB2.1

Forums: OctaneRender V4 XB2.1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

OctaneRender V4 XB2.1

Postby haze » Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 am

haze Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 am
Dear all,

Since the release of the first experimental build of V4, we have addressed many issues and updated essential systems for plugins to operate. We would therefore like to make the second experimental release of V4, to our customers with V3 licences as a preview.

For introductory material on V4, please see the first release post of V4.

As with all experimental and test releases, please do not use this build for production work, and please note that we still classify this as an experimental release. We cannot guarantee that scenes saved with this version would be compatible with future releases.

Important notes:
  • NVIDIA Driver version 387 or higher is required on Windows and Linux, and any CUDA driver for Mac should work that supports CUDA 8.0.
  • Octane no longer supports Fermi GPUs.
  • We are still working through a lot of changes required to make Network Render operational. This is directly related to AI Scene and AI Light.
  • AI Denoiser will not denoise volumes and hairs yet.

Changes since OctaneRender V4 XB1

All changes up to and including those made in 3.08.1 are relevant, as well as the following changes specific to V4:

• Added tiling and multi-GPU support for the AI Denoiser. You can now denoise any resolution up to Octane's maximum, and the Denoiser will consume less memory per device (approximately 450MB per device maximum).
  • Updated denoiser AI to be more accurate on recent render pass changes.
  • Gained back 90% of the performance we lost due to adding out of core geometry.
  • Added Planetary Environment node, which is a flexible Nishita Sky model.
  • Fixed a significant and unnecessary VRAM allocation that applied to all meshes.
  • Fixed some unnecessary reallocations by the Denoiser.
  • Added Universal Material node. Please note that this node is likely to change in the next few releases.
  • Fixed slowdown/crash scenario when running out of VRAM while using the Denoiser.
  • Fixed some displacement artefacts when using Volta GPUs.
  • Fixed a crash in some scenes where there are invalid geometry.
  • Fixed a crash that happened when mixing animated scene changes and manual changes to placement and scatter nodes.
  • Fixed a crash when changing the number of entries in a scatter node.
  • Fixed a possible crash when disabling the AI Denoiser.
  • Fixed denoiser pass when using hot pixel filter.
  • Fixed denoiser crashes on processors that do not support AVX.
  • Improved responsiveness while caching meshes
  • Fixed multiple crashes when scrubbing the timeline with a skinned mesh.
  • Fixed two AI Light render failures.
  • Fixed AI Light processing happening more than once when not necessary.
  • Fixed light CDF not being rebuilt sometimes.
  • Improve VRAM management and consumption.
  • Fixed multiple crashes when using out of core meshes.
  • Fixed skinned mesh animation sometimes losing motion blur information.
  • Fixed render failures when rendering meshes that have invalid primitives, this happened often when scrubbing the timeline on vertex animations and skinned mesh animations.
  • Fixed render failures when making changes in scenes that have displacement primitives, hairs, or spheres.
  • Fixed emission being ignored when adding emission nodes to existing materials.
  • Improved performance of AI Light.
  • Fixed motion blur sometimes incorrectly using an older frame.
  • Denoise on completion is now default.
  • Fixed an incorrect render when switching between render targets in certain cases.
  • Fixed a bug where some diffuse contribution was added into the transmission pass.
  • Fixed a bug where some black pixels appear in some render passes.
  • Fixed some artefacts on hairs if vertices were duplicated by mistake.
  • Fixed Batch render script.

Downloads for users with a regular license

regular version for Windows (installer)
regular version for Windows (ZIP archive)
regular version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
regular version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Downloads for users with a subscription license

subscription version for Windows (installer)
subscription version for Windows (ZIP archive)
subscription version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
subscription version for Linux (ZIP archive)
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender V4 XB2.1

Postby funk » Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am

funk Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am
I just ran a quick test and denoising in now working on my system, BUT, I ran into a major problem.

If I disable the "denoise on completion" option, my pc is rebooting when it tries to denoise. I don't have time to troubleshoot this at the moment though

EDIT: Actually I'm getting random reboots when the denoiser runs, even if "denoise on completion" is enabled :(

EDIT 2: For now, I can denoise without crashing/rebooting if I set denoising to my GTX670, while the 1080ti does the rendering. I'm OK with that, but I'd like to figure out why the pc reboots if I denoise on the 1080ti.
Last edited by funk on Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MildMustard » Tue May 22, 2018 6:42 am

MildMustard Tue May 22, 2018 6:42 am
Oh nice, was expecting this later on in the week! Will test my last job with this now. Thanks!
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sc4rfy » Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 am

Sc4rfy Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 am
The mac version is not compatible with AMD, right? because on my mac doesn't work nothing
Win 10 64 Bit | i7 930 | 12 Gb Ram | GTX 760 |
Sc4rfy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Tue May 22, 2018 7:39 am

funk Tue May 22, 2018 7:39 am
Now that I have denoising working on the 670, while the 1080ti renders, I decided to test a 4K (3840 x 2160) denoise.

It works, but it's not very fast. I also noticed that having "denoise on completion" disabled, makes switching passes very slow. If I try to switch between passes, it's like the UI gets stuck for a while (I see several pass buttons highlighted instead of just 1), until octane recovers

denoise_switch_pass_slow.png

I have a feature request. Could we have a "denoise NOW" button, or a "denoise on PAUSE" feature?

This would allow me to let my render cook and denoise it only when I want, or if I pause the render to save it.

EDIT: I also tried doing a render with denoiser off, then enabling it later, but it restarts the render :(

EDIT 2: Found a workaround for now. Start the render with denoiser on and "denoise on completion" on. When the render gets to a point where you want to denoise, uncheck "denoise on completion", wait for the denoise to happen, then check it again to prevent the denoiser from running.
Last edited by funk on Wed May 23, 2018 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 am

Elvissuperstar007 Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 am
this panel can not be closed
Attachments
ре.png
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Tue May 22, 2018 8:03 am

funk Tue May 22, 2018 8:03 am
I have also run into another small issue. When loading a scene or starting a render, the octane toolbar icon in windows 10 shows a green progress bar animating.

If I start/stop the render a couple of times, the progress bar gets stuck, and the icon is constantly flashing a green progress animation

green_progress_taskbar.png
green_progress_taskbar.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 8117 times
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rohandalvi » Tue May 22, 2018 8:21 am

rohandalvi Tue May 22, 2018 8:21 am
Hi,

The universal material node is great. It's exactly what is needed to get the substance maps into octane.

Will you be adding SSS and refraction to this node in the future? Then there will no longer be any need for the other basic material nodes.

regards
Rohan
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Tue May 22, 2018 8:45 am

funk Tue May 22, 2018 8:45 am
rohandalvi wrote:Will you be adding SSS and refraction to this node in the future? Then there will no longer be any need for the other basic material nodes.

It's not really "universal" without refraction and sss. I hope this can be added at some point.
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rohandalvi » Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am

rohandalvi Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am
True.

Right now it's the perfect metallic roughness node that you need to work with substance painter and stuff. Once they add SSS and refraction then it's the universal node. :)
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Development Build Releases