Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here

Forums: Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here

Postby Goldorak » Wed May 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Goldorak Wed May 02, 2018 3:56 pm
ramone163 wrote:Batch RenderJob node doesn't work. Hit RUN and nothing happens.
Batch Rendering from scripts:
1) missing render priority option
2) if I try to render 2 or 3 Targets, render images are black or cut or with artifacts. When rendering only 1 target - everything is OK. Please fix this.
And maybe it is time for XB2?

Urbach says that new versions will be more often. But it is 1.5 months from XB1. Often? Now it is same as always. With this speed, we will get XB3 at the end of the year, and plugins in the next year.

The time between anyone even knowing V4 XB1 existed to the release of the download link on this site was ~1.5 seconds. The 6 weeks for XB2 comes from there being zero user testing before XB1. For XB2 we're collecting bug reports and working to get as close to V3 stability as possible before moving towards stable production test releases across all plug-ins shortly after that.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ramone163 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:02 pm

ramone163 Wed May 02, 2018 5:02 pm
Goldorak wrote:
ramone163 wrote:Batch RenderJob node doesn't work. Hit RUN and nothing happens.
Batch Rendering from scripts:
1) missing render priority option
2) if I try to render 2 or 3 Targets, render images are black or cut or with artifacts. When rendering only 1 target - everything is OK. Please fix this.
And maybe it is time for XB2?

Urbach says that new versions will be more often. But it is 1.5 months from XB1. Often? Now it is same as always. With this speed, we will get XB3 at the end of the year, and plugins in the next year.

The time between anyone even knowing V4 XB1 existed to the release of the download link on this site was ~1.5 seconds. The 6 weeks for XB2 comes from there being zero user testing before XB1. For XB2 we're collecting bug reports and working to get as close to V3 stability as possible before moving towards stable production test releases across all plug-ins shortly after that.

Goldorak, I think it is a little bit unfair to use this argument "nobody knew, but we released". I think there were reasons for OTOY to announce XB1, not just make us "happy". Happiness was for 1.5 sec. After that, we see only bugs.
At this moment we had to have stable 3.1 with working denoiser. But we do not have 3.1. Now we have buggy XB1 (to release v4 XB1 was your decision, not ours).

So you don't test XB1 before release? You release it and wait when we will find bugs? Okay, I agree when we talk about new features (Denoiser, AI light). But what about Batch render. This is old tool, and it is not working.

Same with OSL. Why release a tool that nobody can use? 99% OSLs from internet not working in Octane OSL. OTOY do not want to make OSLs. Who will?

I do not want to say that you do not make your job. I love Octane and wish you all the best. But I feel like a fool when you promise something.
GPU: 980+1080+1080Ti; 3ds max;
Behance portfolio; Handmadefont.com;
ramone163
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 pm

haze Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 pm
Part of why these releases are made is to get external feedback from the most important stakeholders (our community). We want to ensure that what we deliver is what you need.

At the moment everyone in the office is working to stabilise what we have, and in tandem, we are upgrading network render to operate with AI Scene and AI Light. This is a big task, but is really important. The easy way out for us would be to have out of core geometry never work for network render at all, and disable AI Light as soon as net render is enabled.

Along the way we have opportunities to massively improve what you see in XB1 - we're certainly making the effort to ensure that our features are properly cooperative.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Cheiser » Sat May 05, 2018 9:41 am

Cheiser Sat May 05, 2018 9:41 am
When I saw the news about version 4, I was glad that finally all that you promised for a long time will be available. But all you did was roll out your sketches to re-awaken interest in your product against the background of other actively developing renderers.

As a user and a buyer I am very disappointed in your approach. I do not want to buy the product for the full price and then act as a beta tester.

Best wishes to you. More promises, less action.
Cheiser
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ramone163 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:00 am

ramone163 Sat May 05, 2018 10:00 am
haze wrote:Part of why these releases are made is to get external feedback from the most important stakeholders (our community). We want to ensure that what we deliver is what you need.

At the moment everyone in the office is working to stabilise what we have, and in tandem, we are upgrading network render to operate with AI Scene and AI Light. This is a big task, but is really important. The easy way out for us would be to have out of core geometry never work for network render at all, and disable AI Light as soon as net render is enabled.

Along the way we have opportunities to massively improve what you see in XB1 - we're certainly making the effort to ensure that our features are properly cooperative.

You need us to tell you that we need Denoiser and OutOfCore and fast render? What? You need us to tell you that render must work without bugs? I think this all you know and understand without us.

Ok, I asked for 1 years to add point cloud preview of VDB. (It is hard to work when you see only empty box without seeing the shape of VDB). We need and. And what? Nothing. For years we need multilayer - again nothing. Ah. You said that OSL will fix this problem. Okay, we have OSL. Problem solved? Nope. Ah sorry, I forget, we have to be programmers and white OSL by ourselves - problem solved!
You needed 5 years to add options to move the objects in Standalone - shame.
GPU: 980+1080+1080Ti; 3ds max;
Behance portfolio; Handmadefont.com;
ramone163
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby katmachiavelli » Tue May 08, 2018 7:00 am

katmachiavelli Tue May 08, 2018 7:00 am
Quick question (and sorry if this has already been answered)...

... so when will the free version of v4 be released for people with up to two GPUs? I would love to get back into Octane, but I'm hesitant to buy it now that I know v4 will be free for people like me with only one GPU.

On that note, I think it's really silly that the student version has been set at v1.20 for years, making it more than obsolete at this juncture. I would hope that with v4 being marketed now, OTOY would bump up the student one to v3 at the least, so students can actually use it.
katmachiavelli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 am

paride4331 Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 am
katmachiavelli wrote:Quick question (and sorry if this has already been answered)...

... so when will the free version of v4 be released for people with up to two GPUs? I would love to get back into Octane, but I'm hesitant to buy it now that I know v4 will be free for people like me with only one GPU.

On that note, I think it's really silly that the student version has been set at v1.20 for years, making it more than obsolete at this juncture. I would hope that with v4 being marketed now, OTOY would bump up the student one to v3 at the least, so students can actually use it.

According to the announcement to release a free V4 limited to 2 Gpus, students will probably also be able to use V4.
Said that, I do not think you can benefit AI denoiser using only one Gpu.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby fantome » Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 pm

fantome Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 pm
V4 looks really promising , but

I really hope that we will not have to wait octane 4.0 for this feature.
The support of geometry attribute is just vital for the c4d / houdini guys doing motion design with octane.
I thought that this feature would come with OSL support with the release of 3.1 in the last quarter of 2016 when i buy my 3.0 license.
I really hope that we will not have to wait that 4.0 is stabilised to get this feature, as i will have a harder time to block vfx sup from switching to redshift for this precise feature.
I love octane , no doubt about that but some feature are really crucial for certain type of job.
And if i judge the huge amount of motion design work included in the 4.0 intro i really hope you will push this feature for 3.09 if you want to show them some love ( the motion design guys ;) ) !

Cheers
E
Attachments
img.png
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby katmachiavelli » Sun May 13, 2018 1:58 am

katmachiavelli Sun May 13, 2018 1:58 am
paride4331 wrote:
katmachiavelli wrote:Quick question (and sorry if this has already been answered)...

According to the announcement to release a free V4 limited to 2 Gpus, students will probably also be able to use V4.
Regards
Paride

You didn't answer my main question, though, and that is... WHEN will it be released? There's no public download for the free version of v4 yet. The other remark which you responded to was a secondary concern. The announcement never specified when the free version would be released, which is why I'm asking.

That doesn't change the fact that there's no good reason for why there has been an outdated version of Octane for years that students can't even use, as the student version has been neglected. The fact that there's a v4 beta out now but the student version is obsolete and hasn't been updated in years is pretty bad, IMHO.
katmachiavelli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:36 pm

paride4331 Mon May 14, 2018 1:36 pm
katmachiavelli wrote:
paride4331 wrote:

Regards
Paride

You didn't answer my main question, though, and that is... WHEN will it be released? There's no public download for the free version of v4 yet. The other remark which you responded to was a secondary concern. The announcement never specified when the free version would be released, which is why I'm asking.

That doesn't change the fact that there's no good reason for why there has been an outdated version of Octane for years that students can't even use, as the student version has been neglected. The fact that there's a v4 beta out now but the student version is obsolete and hasn't been updated in years is pretty bad, IMHO.

Hi katmachiavelli,
there is no ETA or release date about plugin or SA.
about student versions, as already mentioned, a free version will be released for everyone.
If an updated student version is not available now, it depends on Otoy's future planning.
I honestly do not understand what the problem is; are you not satisfied that Otoy will make the best existing render engine GPU available for free?
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements