Eye material guide

Forums: Eye material guide
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Eye material guide

Postby shoni89 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 am

shoni89 Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 am
Hello everyone,

I'm struggling a lot trying to achieve realistic looking eyes lately... I have tried many different settings but still they either turn our dull, foggy or just bad. Is there anyone who can provide me a basic guide/tutorial how to get a realistic looking eye material (using G3F or G8F as base)?

Thanks
shoni89
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Eye material guide

Postby linvanchene » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:25 pm

linvanchene Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:25 pm
shoni89 wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm struggling a lot trying to achieve realistic looking eyes lately... I have tried many different settings but still they either turn our dull, foggy or just bad. Is there anyone who can provide me a basic guide/tutorial how to get a realistic looking eye material (using G3F or G8F as base)?

Thanks

As a first step make sure that all eye related surfaces are actually rendered.

By default cornea, eyesurface, eyebrows may be filtered in the Surface Filter settings.

That would explain why the eyes look "dull" meaning there are no reflections on the cornea and no volume is created.

compare:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30362#p133306

- - -

After that try to apply the

clear cornea material

to the cornea

Live DB Clear Cornea.jpg
Clear Cornea Material from live DB

You can download it for free from the liveDB material as a good start.

- - -

If you do not have a scene with custom light setup yet the Octane Studio HDR 10 may be a starting point to check how subtle reflections in the cornea look like.

Octane Studio 10 HDR.jpg
Octane Studio 10 HDR

- - -

You can also use a Torus primitive to create a simple ring light.

Torus Ring Light.jpg
Torus Ring Light

Experiment with diameter, power, distance to subject to get different results...

- - -
In the posted example images the reflections in the eye are very difficult to spot because the light setup is very low key.
I just tossed this together quickly so you have a starting point.
Other users hopefully can share different ideas how to improve the look of the eye.

- - -
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio