Block Instances - Bongo Animation & Object Layer Node

Forums: Block Instances - Bongo Animation & Object Layer Node
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Block Instances - Bongo Animation & Object Layer Node

Postby jitendra » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:09 am

jitendra Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:09 am
Hi Paul/Octane Team,

I have a complex issue to be resolved. Explaining it below step by step:

What I want to do

I want to animate a ring like product with 750 frames.

For that, I would create an object 360 degree rotation like animation through bongo and I would then export it with "Export Bongo Animation to OCS/ORBX" feature under Rhinoceros 3D Octane Plugin settings.

My essential requirement is to have 3 materials (ground floor+metal part of ring+stone part of ring) & 3 corresponding object nodes (I need 3 object node for lot of post processing and compositing pipeline).

What is happening

When I am exporting such animation, it is not only taking a huge time, but it is generating a very big sized .orbx and .abc files. I can imagine, this is happening because, Bongo is treating geometry for each frame separately.

Also, I am treating all my geometry has poly-surfaces as I need "Live Update" enabled for those geometries and requires object node for them.

Now, If I follow this method then off-course, I have 3 material notes and 3 object layer nodes in Octane Render Standalone after importing the .orbx in Octane Standalone, however the overall performance of further fine tuning the scene in Octane Standalone is not fast enough, due to heavy geometry stored in each frame.

What I am trying achieve

Now, the alternative way is to actually generate proxies for those 3 objects, which I already did and then I created the bongo animation, which at end has created a fast export to ORBX file, which is smaller in size and performance wise extremely fast in Octane Standalone. The only problem I face here is that, now I have only ONE object node in that geometry (that .abc file node I am talking about). Due to that single Object Node, I can not further do my post compositing pipeline easily.

How can I solve this problem?

Thank you for your support in advance.

p.s. I am using Octane Standalone Version: 3.06.4 & Rhinoceros 3D Plugin Version: 3.6.4.83
Best Regards, Jitendra
jitendra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Block Instances - Bongo Animation & Object Layer Node

Postby face_off » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:04 pm

face_off Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:04 pm
Hi

When Bongo moves a mesh object, the mesh object is provided to the Octane plugin in world space - so the entire mesh needs to be reloaded each frame, rather than local space with a transform where just the transform is updated. You want the later and it is not possible in Rhino - unless you use Black Instances, which are in local space rather than world space, and with Block Instances, the instance transforms are loaded into a Scatter node, so they may potentially improve performance between frames (but I'm not sure).

What you really want is an animation app which allows the animating of the mesh object via transform nodes - which is possible in something like Modo.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm

face_off Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm
Another option would be to export the 3 objects separately and then merge the resulting ABC Scene nodes in Octane Standalone with a Geometry Group.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jitendra » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am

jitendra Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply. We exported 3 different .abc files with same animation but with three different meshes (technically block instances) and then we used geometry group in Standalone and it worked.

That means, for all the items for which we need object layer, we first have to convert them to block instances and then create animation and export separately. Which is a bit longer process but works faster.

Thank you for your continuous great support. Highly appreciate it.
Best Regards, Jitendra
jitendra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D