ORC output doesn't match

Forums: ORC output doesn't match
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

ORC output doesn't match

Postby senorpablo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:50 pm

senorpablo Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:50 pm
This is my second time trying out ORC. The output still doesn't match what I'm getting in 3ds Max. The last time I tried it, neither motion blur nor exposure was correct. It looks like there are settings for motion blur in the render job setup, though the terminology used is completely inconsistent with the kernel settings.

This time it looks like images rendered in ORC have a different gamma as they appear washed out.
senorpablo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ORC output doesn't match

Postby Goldorak » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:26 pm

Goldorak Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:26 pm
paulforgy wrote:This is my second time trying out ORC. The output still doesn't match what I'm getting in 3ds Max. The last time I tried it, neither motion blur nor exposure was correct. It looks like there are settings for motion blur in the render job setup, though the terminology used is completely inconsistent with the kernel settings.

This time it looks like images rendered in ORC have a different gamma as they appear washed out.

Just to confirm - if you export to ORBX and test in the standalone does this issue persist? Which version of the engine/plug-in are you using?
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby senorpablo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:15 pm

senorpablo Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:15 pm
Goldorak wrote:
paulforgy wrote:This is my second time trying out ORC. The output still doesn't match what I'm getting in 3ds Max. The last time I tried it, neither motion blur nor exposure was correct. It looks like there are settings for motion blur in the render job setup, though the terminology used is completely inconsistent with the kernel settings.

Just to confirm - if you export to ORBX and test in the standalone does this issue persist? Which version of the engine/plug-in are you using?

Version is Max plugin 3.07, 4.44

It does not look correct in standalone either. Motion blur is enabled even though it's off in my Max scene. The Tonemap settings in standalone come in with Neutral response set to off, which seems to be the main issue. Seems as if the orbx exporter is not grabbing settings from the kernel and camera settings tab within Max's render setup dialog. This would also explain the exposure issues I was having last time I tried to use ORC.

Aside from those issues, there seems to be some real discrepancies with naming conventions. In Max, the same setting is found in the render setup dialog->camera, under 'Imager' and is called 'Nonliner tone mapping' whereas in standalone and in an octane camera wihtin Max, it's 'imager' or 'Tonemap' and 'Neutral response' and the check boxes behave in an inverted manor.
senorpablo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Goldorak Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 pm
paulforgy wrote:
Goldorak wrote:

Version is Max plugin 3.07, 4.44

It does not look correct in standalone either. Motion blur is enabled even though it's off in my Max scene. The Tonemap settings in standalone come in with Neutral response set to off, which seems to be the main issue. Seems as if the orbx exporter is not grabbing settings from the kernel and camera settings tab within Max's render setup dialog. This would also explain the exposure issues I was having last time I tried to use ORC.

Aside from those issues, there seems to be some real discrepancies with naming conventions. In Max, the same setting is found in the render setup dialog->camera, under 'Imager' and is called 'Nonliner tone mapping' whereas in standalone and in an octane camera wihtin Max, it's 'imager' or 'Tonemap' and 'Neutral response' and the check boxes behave in an inverted manor.

If the export to ORBX/SA is showing these issues, then that is apparently a bug in the MAX exporter - motion blur is determined by shutter time - is that also not right in the SA export. Can you post a screen shot of the inverted neutral reponse checkbox? NR is off by default, but if you turn it on in Max, it should carry over to the exporter.

I assume you are testing in the same 3.07 version as the plug-in and not 3.08+?
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby senorpablo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:56 pm

senorpablo Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:56 pm
The gamma issue was due to a non Octane setting in Max, not an ORC/Octane bug.

Motion blur does seem to be a legitimate issue. There doesn't appear to be an on/off setting in standalone? The on/off setting in the Max Octane Kernel settings, nor the motion blur duration, seems to be exported or reflected in the orbx file.

Yes, version 3.07.
senorpablo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:13 am

paride4331 Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:13 am
Hi Paulforgy,
Octane for 3dsMax 3.07 - 4.44 seems to work well exporting to .orbx.
As you can see in my screenshots, MB matches and Gamma too.
I do not know your settings, you could take a look at mine; could they help you?
Regards
Paride
Attachments
orc-1.jpg
orc-2.jpg
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby senorpablo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:44 pm

senorpablo Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:44 pm
paride4331 wrote:Hi Paulforgy,
I do not know your settings, you could take a look at mine; could they help you?
Regards
Paride

Gamma was an issue on my end.

Motion blur doesn't work. Try turning it off in kernel settings and see if that looks correct in standalone.
senorpablo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:50 pm

paride4331 Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:50 pm
paulforgy wrote:
Regards
Paride

Motion blur doesn't work. Try turning it off in kernel settings and see if that looks correct in standalone.

Is it correct?
Regards
Paride
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] 01.mp4 [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 7209 times ]

paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby senorpablo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 am

senorpablo Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 am
paride4331 wrote:
paulforgy wrote:
Regards
Paride

Is it correct?
Regards
Paride

No. Try exporting from Max with motion blur set to off. Import that into standalone, and it will still be on.

That's the bug.
senorpablo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:02 pm

paride4331 Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:02 pm
Hi paulforgy,
ok I see what you said, MB issue seems to be turning off it. I reported that to developers.
Work around > export to SA > turn off MB > export to ORC
Regards
Paride
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Next

Return to OctaneRender Cloud