Known license limitations working with Houdini Indie?

Forums: Known license limitations working with Houdini Indie?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Known license limitations working with Houdini Indie?

Postby linvanchene » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:37 am

linvanchene Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:37 am
Updated / Edited: Rephrased wording on some sentences.
removed sentences that were based on wrong assumptions.

- - -

I was considering purchasing a Houdini Indie license for my personal projects after having read trough the Houdini Indie FAQ.

https://www.sidefx.com/faq/houdini-indie-faq/#faq104

What I like to do is create OpenVDB files in Houdini Indie and then export them as .orbx to OctaneRender standalone.
In OctaneRender standalone I would then like to combine .orbx files exported from different software to one scene.

Currently I am confused if this is even possible with the Houdini Indie version.
To me it seems that the OctaneRender plugin imposes further restrictions on the workflow that are not mentioned at all in the Houdini Indie FAQ.

- - -

Houdini Indie FAQ:

https://www.sidefx.com/faq/houdini-indie-faq/

My impression was that the only technical limitation was the render size restriction:

What are the render restrictions for Houdini Indie?
When rendering image sequences, you are restricted to 4096 x 4096 pixels. There are not restrictions for still images. The image sequence restrictions apply to Mantra and any third party renderers supported by Indie.

Source:
https://www.sidefx.com/faq/houdini-indie-faq/#faq175

- - -

However in the Octane plugin release texts there are further limitations listed:

This plugin is also compatible with Houdini 15.5/16.0/16.5 Indie. In this case, the plugin will have a 4k limited resolution while rendering sequences, and the scene export and cloud rendering features disabled.

Source:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=66348#p334840

Nowhere on the Houdini Indie FAQ it is mentioned that scene export and cloud rendering need to be disabled by 3rd party plugins.

- - -

Questions:

1) Are scene export and cloud rendering disabled so users cannot "work around" the " image sequence restrictions " or are these technical limitations?

2) Did SideFX explicitely ask Otoy to disable scene export and cloud rendering features or was this just a preventive measure?

3) Does Houdini Indie itself allow export of OpenVDB files?

- - -
Last edited by linvanchene on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Known license limitations working with Houdini Indie?

Postby fantome » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:05 pm

fantome Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:05 pm
hi !

The sidefx faqs has forgot to mention one other restriction.
You are not allowed to export .ifd geometry with the mantra ROP with indie.
Thus as .orbx are octane equivalent to .ifd i think it is definitly a sidefx restriction.

I also read somewhere that the houdini .orbx exporter is not implemented yet , the UI is there but it doesn't work , but i'm not sure about this.
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:52 pm

juanjgon Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:52 pm
Hi,

When the plugin is working in Houdini Indie, the only two limitations are:

1) The sequence rendering resolution is limited to 4k
2) The .orbx scene export functions are disabled, so the scene can't be exported to this kind of files, and as a side effect, the scenes can't be exported or uploaded to the ORC (cloud rendering).

These limitations were requested by SideFX as part of the agreement signed with them to allow the Octane plugin to work on Houdini Indie.

Hope this helps,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:02 pm

juanjgon Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:02 pm
fantome wrote:I also read somewhere that the houdini .orbx exporter is not implemented yet , the UI is there but it doesn't work , but i'm not sure about this.

The plugin can export an .orbx file from the IPR with the current frame state, as you can see it in the IPR window, or you can fully export the scene using the export functions available in the Octane ROP node. The scene exporting has some limitations, due to the fact that only the scenes that can be rendered in "update" mode can be stored in a single animated .orbx file, but in any case, the .orbx export functions are fully implemented.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby linvanchene » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 am

linvanchene Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 am
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

When the plugin is working in Houdini Indie, the only two limitations are:

1) The sequence rendering resolution is limited to 4k
2) The .orbx scene export functions are disabled, so the scene can't be exported to this kind of files, and as a side effect, the scenes can't be exported or uploaded to the ORC (cloud rendering).

These limitations were requested by SideFX as part of the agreement signed with them to allow the Octane plugin to work on Houdini Indie.

Hope this helps,
-Juanjo

Thank you for confirming.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hysteric-spark » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:21 am

hysteric-spark Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:21 am
Is the information that OTOY provide in the Houdini plugin manual and on the license purchase page incorrect then? It says:

"While running in Houdini Indie, the plugin will limit the sequence rendering resolution to 1080p"
hysteric-spark
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:49 am

juanjgon Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:49 am
hysteric-spark wrote:Is the information that OTOY provide in the Houdini plugin manual and on the license purchase page incorrect then? It says:

"While running in Houdini Indie, the plugin will limit the sequence rendering resolution to 1080p"

Nope, this is not correct currently. A few weeks ago SideFX changed the Indie limitations for the 3rd party renderers, updating the sequence rendering resolution to 4k. The latest plugin builds already support the 4k rendering in the Houdini Indie version. We'll update this information in the docs and in the web pages.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby hysteric-spark » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:39 pm

hysteric-spark Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:39 pm
Thanks for letting me know Juanjo!
hysteric-spark
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini