UI Scaling with a 4k monitor

Forums: UI Scaling with a 4k monitor
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

UI Scaling with a 4k monitor

Postby GuernseyMan » Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 am

GuernseyMan Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 am
I've been using Octane 3 with Poser 11 for a little while on my 4k 28" monitor. I set Windows scaling to 200% as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

On Windows 7 Poser seemed to automatically scale and I didn't need the UI scaling function so left it at one. The UI of both Poser and the Octane plugin were a decent size, a little blurry/jagged as is expected from auto-scaling in Windows 7 but completely usable.

I've switched to Windows 10 and there is quite a difference. The UI of Poser itself is now tiny. I can scale this to 2 and it becomes perfect. The right size and beautifully crisp and clear as are the Poser graphics.

The Octane plugin has taken a turn for the worse. Now all of the text boxes are clipped and it is a bit of a shambles. I can still, just about, use it as I know where everything is but it's far from optimal. Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Capture.PNG
GuernseyMan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: UI Scaling with a 4k monitor

Postby face_off » Tue May 23, 2017 12:07 pm

face_off Tue May 23, 2017 12:07 pm
Hi. For me, if I change the Poser UI scaling, the plugin scaling (which uses the PoserPython UI) does not change at all. I am on Windows 10. Perhaps you have also changed your Windows UI display scale settings?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby GuernseyMan » Tue May 23, 2017 5:02 pm

GuernseyMan Tue May 23, 2017 5:02 pm
Thanks

I have changed my Windows UI scaling to 200% or everything is too small. Poser is the only program I have which I can independently adjust the UI scale thumbs up to Smith Micro.

I've changed the Windows UI scale back to 100% as a test and all other programs are unusable. The Octane Plugin now works fine but is obviously half the size.

I've run into this so many times with a 4k Monitor. Strangely enough the worst culprits are graphics type programs which you'd imagine would be at the cutting edge of display tech.

Looks like the old standby of switching to 1080p mode with a scale of 100%. It's not ideal but at least I can work with it.
GuernseyMan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Tempesta3d » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Tempesta3d Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:59 pm
I am sorry if somone already answered this in another post.
I am having the exact same issue with my 4K monitor and Windows10 with the Poser plugin. Has anyone found a solution? Will there be an updated plugin of Octane for Poser to fix this? Like the OP said, I can manage to use it because I remember where everything is, but it is not ideal to use it that way.
Thank you <3

Lory
Tempesta3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:16 am

face_off Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:16 am
Hi Lory

This seems to be an issue with the PoserPython UI scaling, and it is not something I can easily adjust at the plugin level, so I don't think there is a simple fix unfortunately.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Tempesta3d » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Tempesta3d Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:22 pm
Thank you very much for your answer Paul.
Lory
Tempesta3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby GuernseyMan » Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm

GuernseyMan Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm
Yes, Thank you for your answer. I'll see what Smith Micro say if there's any workaround for Python Scripts.

In the meantime I've set the compatibility settings on Poser to "Override and use system scaling" then set Poser scaling back to 1. This effectively runs Poser at 1080p which looks a bit fuzzy but is workable with Octane. It's a shame as my 4k monitor was really purchased to use Poser and Vue D'esprit and I'm now running both of them like that.
GuernseyMan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby GuernseyMan » Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 pm

GuernseyMan Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 pm
I've done some testing and a bit of research.

Basically the Poser UI scaling setting appears to have no bearing on the scaling of Python scripts.

Whatever the UI scaling setting of Poser (tested from 1.0 up to 2.0) the scripts look fine as long as the Windows scaling is set at 100%. Anything above this and the UIs start to deteriorate becoming all but unusable by 200% (which is the point at which I can read the screen).

The upshot is that basically Poser doesn't seem to add, or take away anything from Python as such and therefore any method of making a script "DPI Aware" in Python should work equally well in Poser. I know, from bitter experience how difficult it is to ensure that UI's scale properly from using Windows Forms back in the day (I use WPF now when I get the chance to do any coding). It can be done, however - EZSkin3 by Snarlygribbly scales perfectly at all DPI settings and that is free software. He has even released the source code.

If not for Octane 3 then is it at least on the cards for Octane 4 to be able to scale the UI so that it doesn't look like a dogs dinner using anything above a "normal" screen?

Back in 2014 I was considered an "early adopter" of 4k and had to jump through hoops to get anything at all to look good. Now, 4 years later, this kind of display is becoming mainstream. Some software publishers have embraced it; Smith Micro have done a great job with Poser 11, they have a scaling option in the program which smoothly allows me scale the UI to any level. It seems odd that they should then hamstring any add-ons.

Some script authors have managed to code their UI to work perfectly so it can be done and should work, especially for expensive software (Octane for Poser costs twice as much as Poser!)
GuernseyMan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:35 am

face_off Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:35 am
I will be trying to make the plugin better scale with your monitor DPI in the next release.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rrward » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 am

rrward Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 am
face_off wrote:I will be trying to make the plugin better scale with your monitor DPI in the next release.

Thanks

Paul

Not sure if you've had time to work on it, but as of 3.7.0.85 the UI scaling is still broken. I can't see the text on the "OK" and "Cancel" (I assume that's what they say) buttons on the bottom of the menus, making the plugin useless to me. I'm running a 4K display on Windows 10 with 150% zoom on text.
rrward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Poser