Lightmap an object doesn't yeild valid result

Forums: Lightmap an object doesn't yeild valid result
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Lightmap an object doesn't yeild valid result

Postby katnyan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 am

katnyan Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 am
Hi,

I have been trying to lightmap an object as shown in the URL(https://unity.otoy.com/guides/live-ligh ... guide-new/).

There is only a 3D object within the scene, and a spotlight which focus on this object. Now I have tried to lightmap/bake the scene inorder to generate a texture with light information on it(similar to floor texture genearated in video).
So that, I can use this texture which has lighting information and AO, in my game so that I don't need to have an extra light within my game to focus on this object.

After following the exact same procedure in the video present in the above URL, I am able to generate a texture, but that doesn't have any light information on it or a black texture is being generated.

Does anyone have an idea on why this is happening :roll: . Does lightmap/bake work in the current version of Octane which I have downloaded from Unity Assetstore recently?
katnyan

Re: Lightmap an object doesn't yeild valid result

Postby AscentXR » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 pm

AscentXR Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 pm
I am having exactly the same issue. Went through the tutorial multiple times, step by step. Even paused to see camera and texture settings. Everything seems to be just like the video but the generated texture is completely black. I did another test with a spaceship demo scene and the texture was generated.

Need to get this working ASAP.

Otoy: Can you help? When will lightmapping work globally without mapping each texture?

Thanks

Jim
AscentXR

Postby AscentXR » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 pm

AscentXR Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 pm
I've posted 2 comments about this issue and neither have been approved. Why?

If I'm going to use your software I need to be able to troubleshoot this issue ASAP.

Thanks

Jim
AscentXR

Postby Xhed » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Xhed Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:45 pm
I tried to recreate your issue, but I haven't been able to. Is it possible for you to send me a small sample of this not working, so that I can check your issue?

Please bear in mind that the currently available lightmapping features are in beta mode.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby AscentXR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:20 pm

AscentXR Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:20 pm
Here is what's happening: https://youtu.be/gPM-o36eJYw

Thanks for looking into it.
AscentXR

Postby Xhed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:52 am

Xhed Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:52 am
Thanks for the video. I haven't been able to find the problem from observing your workflow (I don't see any issues there). If it's possible, I'd like to take a look at your scene myself. Could you send me a PM with a share?
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby katnyan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 am

katnyan Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 am
@Rick,

Below are the steps followed for the result displayed in the Scene attached.

Scene : Scene has two boxes displayed. The one on the right is before the PBR rendering and the one on the left is after generating/baking a texture with PBR

1. Added GameObject BoxV2Stadium13 to the Scene. Place a spotlight on this Box to illuminate as shown on the Right side object of the scene.
2. Added bakingCamera to the scene
3. Load Octane
4. Create PBR Render Target GameObject
5. Assign the bakingCamera to Camera with Custom Type and assigned a Baking ID to the PBR Render Target Component Script on PBR Render Target GameObject
6. Select Path Tracing kernel in the Kernel section with Max samples of 1000
7. Click Render to create the texture.
8. After the Rendering is finished in the PBR ViewPort, Click on Create New button and save the texture.
9. Select None in the Render to texture now.
10. Create a new Material "Box_New" with Unlit Texture or Standard shader and assign the newly created texture to the material.
11. Now create another gameobject BoxV2Stadium13_WithTextureFromOctane and assign the Box_New material to the gameobject.
12. Result is as displayed on the Box on the left side of the scene.
13. Technically, both the objects should be displayed as similar to each other.

Unity Package with Scene available at :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GswX0nokRBFux8p4JOl_VDONscKefGr_
katnyan

Postby AscentXR » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm

AscentXR Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm
Sure. But I don't have auth for private messages. Can you send me your email and I will add you to the project.
Thanks Rick

Jim
AscentXR

Postby Xhed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Xhed Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm
With the exception of the atlas being off for applying the baking result, I have the result of the spotlight in the map when I try to follow your steps. It might have something to do with the settings I used for the spotlight though.

2018-02-16 16_54_41-Unity 2017.2.1f1 (64bit) - TestScene_V1.unity - Lightmap an object doesn't yeild.png
Lightmap result
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby AscentXR » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:23 pm

AscentXR Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:23 pm
I have added you to the project to test it out. Would love to figure it out and use Octane. Thanks

Jim
AscentXR

Next

Return to Octane for Unity