Schematic: Invalid pin (for a rotation)

Forums: Schematic: Invalid pin (for a rotation)
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Schematic: Invalid pin (for a rotation)

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 am

face_off Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 am
I think I would need to see a .LXO to determine the specific problem. However if using projections, make sure Live Geometry Update is ticked for the mesh item, and make sure the projection is set to Local Coordinates, and not World Coordinates.

As for the units, I would expect the rotation would be in degrees, and the translation would be in meters.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Uhlhorn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Uhlhorn Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm
Ah, thank You. These are good hints. I will test it later …
Uhlhorn
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Uhlhorn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Uhlhorn Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 pm
face_off wrote:However if using projections, make sure Live Geometry Update is ticked for the mesh item …
It was on.

face_off wrote:… and make sure the projection is set to Local Coordinates, and not World Coordinates.
It was set too.

face_off wrote:As for the units, I would expect the rotation would be in degrees, and the translation would be in meters.
This was the problem! The units for length are meters. Please add this important information to the manual!

This is my new setup now:
Uhlhorn
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Uhlhorn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Uhlhorn Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 pm
I found two bugs:

The first bug: No texture updates when rotating via keyframes
When I set rotation keyframes, octane will not update the rotation while changing the frame. I have to reload the scene on each frame to get Octane updated. When I change the rotation value manually, Octane will update.

The second bug: No texture rotation on values over 360° and lower –360°
When I use values higher than 360 degrees or lower than –360° Octane will not update the rotation. And in this case it does not help to reload the scene.
Uhlhorn
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:00 am

face_off Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:00 am
The first bug: No texture updates when rotating via keyframes
When I set rotation keyframes, octane will not update the rotation while changing the frame. I have to reload the scene on each frame to get Octane updated. When I change the rotation value manually, Octane will update.
Try enabling Kernel->Animation->Reload Materials Each Frame.

The second bug: No texture rotation on values over 360° and lower –360°
When I use values higher than 360 degrees or lower than –360° Octane will not update the rotation. And in this case it does not help to reload the scene.
The rotation values within Octane are limited to values between -360 and 360, so you will need to work within this constraint.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Uhlhorn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Uhlhorn Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm
face_off wrote:Try enabling Kernel->Animation->Reload Materials Each Frame.
I changed my concept totally, because ist is not possible to make it in the planned manner (see angle limitation).

face_off wrote:The rotation values within Octane are limited to values between -360 and 360, so you will need to work within this constraint.
Hmm … this is not helpful. There are many use cases for angles greater then 360°. You should change it.

In the schematic I can’t reduce larger angles like for example 540° to 180° easily. There are no conditional constructs in schematic (if-then-else). To get a reduced angle I have to script. But for a developer it is easy to reduce larger input angles to internally required angles.
Uhlhorn
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 am

face_off Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 am
Hmm … this is not helpful. There are many use cases for angles greater then 360°. You should change it.
That plugin does not contain any logic to handle this - it is just directly converting the Modo channel modifier out value to a pin value. So sorry, this is a limitation of the current implementation of the plugin.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Previous

Return to Foundry Modo