Version 3.07-R2 (previous stable) update on 01.11.2017

Forums: Version 3.07-R2 (previous stable) update on 01.11.2017
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: aoktar

Re: Version 3.07-R2 (Stable) update on 01.11.2017

Postby Weirdpictures » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Weirdpictures Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 pm
Having some render crashes lately after the update to 3.07.
Not sure if it is because of octane plugin or the cuda and windows 10 updates.
We are running windows 10 version 1709 and cuda 388.31
Latest octane 3.07 and plugin R2
We have usually 4 x 1080 TI but removed one card in order to see if it has to do with oversaturated PCIE bus - but no change.
Any help or ideas are much appreciated.
I attached screenshot and log file from the crash that occurs.

Thanks

Capture.JPG
Attachments
octane 3.07 171129 115428.log
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Weirdpictures
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:06 pm

abstrax Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:06 pm
Weirdpictures wrote:Having some render crashes lately after the update to 3.07.
Not sure if it is because of octane plugin or the cuda and windows 10 updates.
We are running windows 10 version 1709 and cuda 388.31
Latest octane 3.07 and plugin R2
We have usually 4 x 1080 TI but removed one card in order to see if it has to do with oversaturated PCIE bus - but no change.
Any help or ideas are much appreciated.
I attached screenshot and log file from the crash that occurs.

Thanks

Capture.JPG

According to the log the Windows TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) has kicked in. The default is 2 seconds (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... istry-keys). I.e. if a kernel call takes longer than this time, Windows pulls the plug and kills the driver and with that CUDA dies.

The kernel run times are heavily dependent on the scene, i.e. it might be an issue particularly for this scene.

If you don't want to change the TDR settings manually, you can install the Octane Standalone via the Windows installer, which will change the TDR timeout to 10 seconds. To make the registry change effective, you have to reboot Windows.

If this didn't help it's probably best if you send us the scene and a description of how to reproduce the problem. We will have a look at it then.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby lancemoody » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:29 am

lancemoody Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:29 am
Weirdpictures,

I also saw these crashes (listed in log as timeouts). I actually boosted the Timeout delay to 60 seconds. I'm not totally sure but that MAY have helped my frequent crashes. I had to discover this on my own. Wish I had gotten the helpful reply above.

This is the article that helped me do that:

https://support.allegorithmic.com/docum ... mputations

I previously reported those crashes here and got the response to downgrade Nvidia drivers to some earlier one. I tried that and it didn't seem to help. I think the response was that my crashes could not have been Octane (although the 3.0.8 fix list SEEMS to list some bugs that sound like my crashes. Who knows?). Sigh.. just so many issues--still can't do multi passes in R19 with Octane (there is apparently a bug that is Maxon's fault).

The reason I am not sure if things have improved crash-wise with Octane? I have started to move on. I have rendered out some last Octane jobs with no issues. But I have bought Redshift and have been learning that as fast as possible--not a single crash there so far. Seems that multipasses work fine there, too.
lancemoody
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Weirdpictures » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 am

Weirdpictures Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 am
Hi guys, thanks so much for your input and help. After posting here we had pretty much crashes every time we rendered, with this and other scenes, as well as a brand new one we made from scratch. So we started cleaning house and uninstalled every app besides cinema 4d and Octane and rebooted. First we thought everything works again, but after rendering a sequence the render just stopped after 16 frames with the same error as before. We will try the suggested fixes and see if that helps, otherwise i might clean the system disk and reinstall windows to see if that helps. Really strange that this just started happening all of the sudden, since we never had the problem before. Just to mention we of course also rolled back to the last version of the plugin and octane, but now even that combination creates the same error. Hope its not a hardware problem :-(

Thanks for all the help
Weirdpictures
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pxlntwrk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 am

pxlntwrk Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 am
Hi,
anyway I think Windows 10 is not yet the right companion for gpu rendering. :(
:::::::::::::::::
pxlntwrk.net
pxlntwrk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lancemoody » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 pm

lancemoody Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 pm
I'm posting this in the hopes that it helps someone else.

After the Windows Fall Creator's update, I started to see quite a few crashes using Octane.
The nature of the crashes took the following forms:

While working in C4D and using the live viewer:

1. C4D would temporarily be locked up. After a period (perhaps 20 seconds) I would regain control of C4D but Octane would report a failure and would not start back up unless C4D was restarted. This was the most common crash.
2. Full out crash to BSOD (this was much more rare, almost never).

While rendering (usually to the PV):

1. Octane would fail during some part of the render and the PV would go all green (as though done with the job but only some variable number of frames actually rendered).
2. Full out BSOD (almost never happened).

Well, I found out about the GPU delay and learned that installing the Octane Standalone would modify the delay (to 10 secs, but I didn't know that at the time). So I installed that and my vague feeling is that my crashes became less frequent but still an annoyance.

As I mentioned above, I eventually further modified the timeout to 60 seconds. I also started to transition away from Octane to Redshift.

Well today I had to go back to an Octane job for revisions. While working with the live viewer, I had that moment in which I knew C4D had sort of locked up. This was previously ALWAYS a sign that Octane had failed. BUT today after a period of about 30 seconds, C4D AND Octane came back to life without failing. That had never happened before.

So I am not sure that the delay thing is for sure a solution but maybe?

I am still working on those revisions and will report back but so far, knock on wood, no crashes.

Lance
lancemoody
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Studio21 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 pm

Studio21 Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 pm
The latest wave of reported crashes is all due to the latest windows update unfortunately. main symptoms: windows freeze for a few seconds, then a BSOD with a DPC watchdog violation. this doesnt effect C4D gpu rendering only this also happens in AE and any other app that heavily uses the GPU.

I would recommend downloading the UDD app from 3dguru.com and clean ur nvidia drivers completely. then install a stable version of the drivers. 282.53 work good here.

good luck
Studio21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Weirdpictures » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Weirdpictures Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 pm
@ lancemoody - yes, this is exactly what happened to us and the same exact behavior and crashes. we have been working on this all day yesterday and this morning, until for some reason we noticed that all of the sudden C4D worked fine and didn't crash. I was pounding on it and pushing heavy scenes all around the viewport, trying as hard as possible to make it crash. But it was all of the sudden super stable. I didn't understand what was going on, until i noticed that the office was so quiet :-)
I looked at the temp indicator and all gpu's were at 86 degrees - then it dawned to me - after the last crash and reboot i forgot to fire up MSI afterburner, which we have always running in oder to control fan speed of all 4 gpu's. Sure enough i fired it up to see what would happen and within 1 minute i had the same exact crash. rebooted again, didn't start up afterburner and fired up an animation sequence that would never render past frame 16 and voila - it went all the way to the end.

Not sure if that will apply to everyone, but for our case this seems to totally fix the problem and C4D with latest octane version works once again very stable. Now, the only thing to figure out is, how to control fan speed without the afterburner app.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for everyones help.
Weirdpictures
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lancemoody » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 pm

lancemoody Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 pm
Thanks... I am still working along with no crashes (which would have been unheard of before I changed the delay). For me the key thing is the recovery from the temporary lock up described above. That ALWAY meant an Octane crash previously.

Late Night Addition:

I ran a full render (259 frames) with no issues. And then I did some further work on the animation, really whaling on the Live Viewer. Still no crash. This is distinctly different from my experiences recently when I was scared of a crash with every little move. All I have changed is the GPU delay but that seems to have made a marked difference.

Starting another render now. And I will see what happens. Not having an Octane failure for this long has been impossible since the Fall Creator's Update. I am using latest Windows Updates and NVIDIA drivers.

Next day Addition:

Octane has still not crashed. And now I am positively teasing it to crash: rendering previews in After Effects while Octane is rendering, etc. This is the same project I was working on last week and had quite regular failures and crashes (which has been the case since the Fall Creator's Update).

I am now convinced that changing the delay really was a game changer.
Last edited by lancemoody on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
lancemoody
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EINBLICKE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 am

EINBLICKE Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 am
I have C4D R17 with Octane Version 3.06.2 installed, but after Update 3.07-R2, Octane Scatter no longer works. What´s the problem? Please help. Thanks
EINBLICKE
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Releases