ORC .okx exporter

Forums: ORC .okx exporter
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

ORC .okx exporter

Postby scart » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm

scart Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm
Hello there.
I'm trying to evaluate the possibilities of using this wonderful format of 18k cubemap videos for GearVR for our VR experiences.

The only thing I've found about encoding these .okx files is that it should work thru ORC.
But unfortunately there's no option of .okx output for my sample orbx scene in ORC.

So the question is: can I encode .okx files now somehow?

And, if not,
Can I get my subscription money back?:)
scart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ORC .okx exporter

Postby Goldorak » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Goldorak Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:22 pm
Hi - I responded to your PM, but sharing the info here as well as it may be helpful to others:

The OKX encoder is a custom module built into the ORC service, which can be played back in ORBX Media apps and players (including Samsung Internet on Gear VR), The encoding takes many minutes per frame, and can be longer than render times (in some scenes), so we use the CPU do the OKX encode on a finished frame while the GPU renders the next one to make it appear 'free' on ORC (we may take the same approach with AI denoising as optional output in 3.09 for max efficiency on ORC).

We've not yet directly exposed OKX file format export beyond ORC for support reasons (and also because it's device/GPU specific), but we are working with FB, Unity. KHR/glTF group, MPEG and others to help make the technique (using GL/GPU shaders as codec) part of a proper standard.

That being said, you should see OKX output options on ORC along with EXR/PNG. Let me discuss this with ORC team and get this sorted out ASAP. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby scart » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am

scart Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am
Duplicating the question I've asked in pm here:

Can I upload png sequence to export in okx?
I'd like some compositing applied before exporting.
scart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Goldorak Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm
scart wrote:Duplicating the question I've asked in pm here:

Can I upload png sequence to export in okx?
I'd like some compositing applied before exporting.

You can certainly do that by creating a render job that flips through the frames and resaves as OKX. Just caught up with ORC team last night and they are addressing the OKX button missing in the UX.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby scart » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:30 pm

scart Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:30 pm
Just checked the ORC and OKX export is back online, which is awesome.

About your statement
"You can certainly do that by creating a render job that flips through the frames and resaves as OKX. Just caught up with ORC team last night and they are addressing the OKX button missing in the UX."
Can you please tell me how exactly can I do this? ORC lets me upload only orbx scenes, not the png seqence.
scart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneRender Cloud