Creating a Metal Material, GOLD, Silver, Platinum

Forums: Creating a Metal Material, GOLD, Silver, Platinum
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Creating a Metal Material, GOLD, Silver, Platinum

Postby cgpanda » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 pm

cgpanda Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 pm
HI, i downloaded octane render demo and i'm trying to create Metal material such as gold, silver, platinum.

I come from Maxwell render, and i'm trying to achieve the same results with octane, this way i can switch to the faster rendering with my 2 gtx cards (580's)

Normally this should be a very simple task but i can't create one.

I used glossy material, set diffuse to black, specular to white, all i get is a glossy black material.

How do you create metals? I also watched the video tutorials, but nowhere it teaches how to create metal materials.

I know the full version has the live database, i could open the materials and learn, but with the demo version i'm kinda limited.

Thanks in advance!
cgpanda
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Creating a Metal Material, GOLD, Silver, Platinum

Postby FooZe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 am

FooZe Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 am
Hi cgpanda,

Try playing with the index value. Higher values will give more reflection - setting it to 1.0 will give full reflection. Take the roughness down too.
Also for the reflection/specularity try using a Gaussian spectrum - these seem to work nicely for metals.

Also if you want the best results use PT or PMC kernel, or if your using the direct lighting kernel, increase the glossy depth.
EDIT: you only really need to increase the glossy depth if there are many bounces of glossy materials - i was thinking for the material preview ball it is useful as you can get black areas around the bottom if the depth (number of bounces) is not high enough.

Thanks
Chris.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cgpanda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 am

cgpanda Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 am
FooZe wrote:Hi cgpanda,

Try playing with the index value. Higher values will give more reflection - setting it to 1.0 will give full reflection. Take the roughness down too.
Also for the reflection/specularity try using a Gaussian spectrum - these seem to work nicely for metals.

Also if you want the best results use PT or PMC kernel, or if your using the direct lighting kernel, increase the glossy depth.
EDIT: you only really need to increase the glossy depth if there are many bounces of glossy materials - i was thinking for the material preview ball it is useful as you can get black areas around the bottom if the depth (number of bounces) is not high enough.

Thanks
Chris.

Thanks Fooze! Really Appreciet your help! I go try now.

Ps: Is there gold materials in the livedb? brushed gold, brushed platinum ect...does it react like in real life? (i mean are those materials physically correct made by the users?

Thanks, i really love octane so far !
cgpanda
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FooZe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:16 pm

FooZe Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:16 pm
Yes there are some metals in the LiveDB that people have submitted. For some, lots of care will have been made to get them looking as accurate as possible.

There are also some textured ones like scratched metal, corrugated steel, rusted iron etc.

Thanks
Chris.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby NNeuland » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm

NNeuland Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm
I've playing around with silver materials. Any chance anyone has any thoughts on caustic reflections off of silver?
Any help would be great. I'm using octane for cinema 4d. I've read a spotlight source can help with this, but haven't had much luck.
https://daan.mindinbusiness.eu/wp-conte ... ebsite.jpg
NNeuland

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am

bepeg4d Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am
Hi NNeuland,
you need a tiny strong light source for good caustics pattern, and PMC kernel with Parallel sampling at 1.
You can also use PT with high Max sampling and Adaptive sampling, but in general, PMC is more efficient in this particular condition.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby NNeuland » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:31 pm

NNeuland Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:31 pm
Thanks bepeg4d

Still having issues but I'll keep playing around with it.....
NNeuland

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 am

bepeg4d Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 am
Hi NNeuland,
oops sorry, not Parallel sampling, but Parallelism at 1:
47E304D4-505B-47DB-8B8B-1A55CFD235C9.jpeg

metalcaustics.zip
(64.28 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby NNeuland » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 pm

NNeuland Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 pm
Hi bepeg4d.

This was very helpful. Thank you so much!

Viewing your "metal caustics" project was very informative. I'll need to play a bit more with this to build a lightbox to shoot
silver objects and get the caustics effects using artificial lighting and not daylight . Thank you again for your help.

Nick
NNeuland

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion