Octane Volume object and fog/haze

Forums: Octane Volume object and fog/haze
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Octane Volume object and fog/haze

Postby janurschel » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:07 pm

janurschel Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:07 pm
Hi there,

I've seen a great example of someone generating fog/haze in the 3.0 alpha plugin using C4D and something called an "Octane Volume" object into which he can plug in a scattering medium to generate fog/haze without the use of a VDB file. Now I tried to replicate that in the modo plugin but I can't seem to find this Octane volume object anywhere. The only way to generate fog seems to be through the environment medium which unfortunately doesn't produce fog that gets denser with distance but just fog that is everywhere the same density and therefore useless.
I tried using VDBvoxel and Volume objects from Modo but I'm not able to connect them with an Octane medium (although the 3.0.4 alpha release says something about it being loaded as an Octane Volume - which I can't seem to figure out how).
Any help on how to get this working (or maybe a clarification that this is not yet possible in the Modo plugin), would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if these are noob questions, but well, you gotta start somewhere. :)

Thanks for your help!!

Best,
Jan
janurschel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Volume object and fog/haze

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:42 pm

face_off Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:42 pm
Add a VDBVoxel item in Modo and set the Filename to your VDB file and render (not sure the placement of the VDB file is correct yet - but the scale is OK). There is not currently a method to edit the volume material within Modo - but you can experiment by using "octane.command showNodeGraph" - which will allow you to temporarily change the volume material. I am planning to have the volume material editable in the next release of the plugin.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby janurschel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:36 am

janurschel Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:36 am
Thank you for the reply Paul.

The thing is I don't want to add a VDBvoxel item because I don't have any and I don't know how to make one in Modo (if thats even possible). The main thing is that in C4D, the Octane volume object has fog in it by default when the scattering medium is plugged in WITHOUT any VDB file loaded into it. Thats what I'm after. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

So the main question is, how do I get this "Octane Volume" in Modo that has fog in it without loading a VDBVoxel? Is this what you mean will be available in the next release?

Thank you!
janurschel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:59 am

face_off Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:59 am
Pls see question 9) in the FAQ at https://docs.otoy.com/Modo/?page_id=416

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby janurschel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 am

janurschel Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 am
Thanks for pointing to that. I did experiment with the environment medium. The main problem is that the fog it produces looks like a milky screen in front of the camera lens and is therefore useless for environment renderings. I need fog that looks denser with the distance just like in reality. :)

Sorry am I wrong about this? Maybe the settings I'm using are wrong?
janurschel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby joshkitney » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:09 pm

joshkitney Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:09 pm
There is this link on Youtube,

https://youtu.be/LSIV6HVYdj8

It's in C4D but you will still get the idea to work within Modo.
i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-Core OC 4.2GHz // 2x GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+, 1 GTX 670 // 64GB's // Windows 10
joshkitney
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kasrafarahani » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:53 am

kasrafarahani Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:53 am
HI, I am having the same problem. I am trying to get a volumetric lighting effect from an area light in the Octane 3.06 plug-in for Modo 11.2. I have looked online at length and am only finding C4D tutorials which don't really get me there as there are referring to a slider in the medium called "thickness" which I cannot seem to find in Modo. I experimented with the Environment Medium as described (too briefly) in the FAQ but that just seems to give an overall milky flat look. Would be greatful for any tips here! thanks
kasrafarahani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Hesekiel2517 Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm
Hey there,

it took me a while to get volumetric Lights. Somewhere i read that you have to connect a scattering-node to the Environment-Medium and set a medium Radius. By doing so i could not get a noise free volume light. Turns out you have to use the volume medium which is not (as far as i know) available in Modo. You have to use a Nodegraph connect it to the Environment-Medium and set up the volume medium there. I hope that helps!
Attachments
Modo_Octane_Volumetric.zip
(9.86 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm

funk Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm
Hesekiel2517 wrote:Hey there,

it took me a while to get volumetric Lights. Somewhere i read that you have to connect a scattering-node to the Environment-Medium and set a medium Radius. By doing so i could not get a noise free volume light. Turns out you have to use the volume medium which is not (as far as i know) available in Modo. You have to use a Nodegraph connect it to the Environment-Medium and set up the volume medium there. I hope that helps!

I connected an octane scattering node with the same values as your nodegraph and got the same result (as far as I can tell)
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kasrafarahani » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm

kasrafarahani Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm
Hesekiel2517 wrote:Hey there,

HI Hesekiel, that is helpful to know. I have found the Octane literature for Modo to be a little sparse, and being new to the application doesn't help. Hopefully this feature will manifest in the next release as it's pretty critical! for now I'm having to add it all in post.
kasrafarahani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Foundry Modo