Unity terrain

Forums: Unity terrain
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: Unity terrain

Postby EFS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:09 pm

EFS Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:09 pm
Any eta on OSL or the terrain stuff in specific? Obviously a native solution would be great since we already have the tooling for terrain, which would make the workflow very nice.

I was hoping you guys used the output of the standard shader code, but you seem to just grab the _MainTex. I was in the middle of writing a splatmap shader hoping it would be that simple ... at this point, clearly I just have to wait. Really though, without a good way to handle terrain we just can't use this yet ... so I'm eagerly waiting :).
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 am

Goldorak Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 am
We'll have more details on OSL once 3.07 is out, as 3.10 will just be a few updates away.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby walkerxian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 am

walkerxian Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 am
Hi,@Goldorak.

I recently used Octane Rendering Unity terrain, and we can not render. I would like to consult now if have other third party solutions? There is also a question, probably when the octane can support the unity terrain rendering

Thank you very much,thank you for your contribution to Octane.
walkerxian

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 am

ChrisHekman Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 am
Terrain is currently in development. It should be part of the upcomming build, or the build after the upcomming one.
After the terrain is doen, we will look at terrain trees and grass.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby adamgoodrich » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am

adamgoodrich Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am
Awesome - looking forward to this - and re-iterating previous comment - am happy to adapt my toolset to support this.
adamgoodrich

Postby EFS » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:45 pm

EFS Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:45 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:Terrain is currently in development. It should be part of the upcomming build, or the build after the upcomming one.

Will it use the standard terrain tools? A subset, or all? How will this work when blending two different textures? Will it use height blending? Basically, what should we be expecting? Very excited :).
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 pm

ChrisHekman Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 pm
EFS wrote:
ChrisHekman wrote:Terrain is currently in development. It should be part of the upcomming build, or the build after the upcomming one.

Will it use the standard terrain tools? A subset, or all? How will this work when blending two different textures? Will it use height blending? Basically, what should we be expecting? Very excited :).

It uses the standard unity terrain and when it is finished it should work "out of the box". Texture tiling and blending works the same as unity.
As for height blending, this should already be possible in unity itself. You just need to create your own blendmaps via code. This will then show up in octane.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby EFS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:24 pm

EFS Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:24 pm
Any word on when this will be available?
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EFS » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:14 am

EFS Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:14 am
ChrisHekman wrote:
EFS wrote:

It uses the standard unity terrain and when it is finished it should work "out of the box". Texture tiling and blending works the same as unity.
As for height blending, this should already be possible in unity itself. You just need to create your own blendmaps via code. This will then show up in octane.

I noticed that the Terrain now shows up in Octane. However, is there any way to have add additional textures, such as heightmaps? Right now the difference in quality between what the terrain gives vs. what a mesh with full texture maps available (especially displacement) is tremendous. Unless, of course, I just don't know something :).
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EFS » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:30 am

EFS Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:30 am
Also, any chance of getting the trees/grass working with Octane? What I would love is to have something like Terrain Composer or CTS generate a terrain, along with the vegetation, and then see it in Octane :).
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Octane for Unity