CONFUSED about Pricing...

Forums: CONFUSED about Pricing...
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

CONFUSED about Pricing...

Postby richardyarlett » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 pm

richardyarlett Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 pm
I don't understand the difference between the PURCHASE version and the SUBSCRIPTION version. What exact is Octane VR, and what does it do more than the normal purchase standalone version ?

The reason I ask is that I want to CLOUD RENDERING but it looks like the only way to do it, is buy a $20 month subscription to OCTANE VR which I don't want, because I already own 4 licenses of the regular purchase version.

How can I use the Octane Render Cloud services without having to buy a $20 a month subscription of OCTANE VR, which I have no need for ? I just want to buy credits for rendering my scenes.
richardyarlett
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: CONFUSED about Pricing...

Postby mojave » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 pm

mojave Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 pm
Hi richardyarlett,

All versions of Octane have the functionality to upload your scenes to ORC, regardless you have a full license or a monthly subscription and it's been integrated in the majority of plugins already. The only differences between full licenses and subscription is that the latter has a limit of 2GPUs/license and network rendering is not supported.

ORC is a subscription service which right now comes with an extra subscription license for free, in your case you will probably not use it as you say, this is to make sure everyone with access to ORC has also access to a version of Octane standalone.

I hope that clarifies it.
Arturo.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Goldorak Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 pm
richardyarlett wrote:I don't understand the difference between the PURCHASE version and the SUBSCRIPTION version. What exact is Octane VR, and what does it do more than the normal purchase standalone version ?

The reason I ask is that I want to CLOUD RENDERING but it looks like the only way to do it, is buy a $20 month subscription to OCTANE VR which I don't want, because I already own 4 licenses of the regular purchase version.

How can I use the Octane Render Cloud services without having to buy a $20 a month subscription of OCTANE VR, which I have no need for ? I just want to buy credits for rendering my scenes.

We will always need to support the render service with a base sub. cost, no matter what version you have. This is how we can process render credits at lowest cost possible, no matter the quantity (whether small or huge).

We are also looking into a small, but hopefully useful, discount we could offer to existing Octane users that have permanent licenses like yourself (and that don't want floating cloud license, meaning ORC jobs only). We will post details once we have concrete details.

Thank you for your support and feedback. It always helps us make a better product.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby richardyarlett » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:36 pm

richardyarlett Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:36 pm
Ok thanks for the reply.

Why is the ORC subscription tied into the OCTANE VR bundle then ? Why not just make it, its own standalone subscription just for cloud rendering ?

WHAT exactly is OCTANE VR and how does it differ from regular OCTANE ?

If I subscribe to the ORC, I get an extra license for OCTANE VR ?
richardyarlett
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:46 pm

bepeg4d Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Hi richardyarlett,
about OctaneVR, it has exactly the same features of the full commercial version, but the subscription service has the following limitations compared with a full (purchased) license
    - Use of the software is available only while online, connected via the internet to the Octane licensing server
    - A maximum of 2 GPU's are available for rendering
    - Network rendering is not available
    - Subscription licenses may not be used with non -subscription licenses (i.e. purchased licenses on the same machine)
If you subsribe the ORC option, you have an extra Standalone OctaneVR license, plus AE and Nuke plugins licenses.
Happy Rendering,
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby richardyarlett » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 am

richardyarlett Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 am
This makes no sense.... why called it "VR" then ??? Why not call it "LITE" or something. I thought VR meant it was specifically for creating VR CONTENT for VR HEADSETS.

Absolutely stupid.
richardyarlett
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 am

mojave Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 am
richardyarlett wrote:Ok thanks for the reply.

Why is the ORC subscription tied into the OCTANE VR bundle then ? Why not just make it, its own standalone subscription just for cloud rendering ?

WHAT exactly is OCTANE VR and how does it differ from regular OCTANE ?

If I subscribe to the ORC, I get an extra license for OCTANE VR ?

Please read my answers to your questions right above.

We are aware the VR name has led to confusion and it is very likely to change. This was left after the Metaverse VR competition when we made this version of Octane available as a free subscription for the period of the competition.

http://home.otoy.com/vr-competition/
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby lancemoody » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:08 pm

lancemoody Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:08 pm
Boy, Otoy really values those VR subscribers! They get a LOT of extra features that dumb old full license holders don't.

As a full license holder, I am trying to think about how that makes me feel...
lancemoody
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 pm

mojave Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 pm
lancemoody wrote:Boy, Otoy really values those VR subscribers! They get a LOT of extra features that dumb old full license holders don't.

As a full license holder, I am trying to think about how that makes me feel...

Hi lancemoody,

It is the subscription (VR) license the one that has a lesser number of GPUs and no network rendering, which you as a full license owner do get.

All other features are exactly the same. The only promotion that has been run for subscription users is access to the non-free version of the Unity plugin preview, which you can also access by request by sending an email to [email protected].

I hope that helps.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby lancemoody » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 pm

lancemoody Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 pm
Um...didn't they also get the After Effects plug-in. AND of course, the use of ORC.
lancemoody
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion