Update and Introduction

Forums: Update and Introduction
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Update and Introduction

Postby RealityFox » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:21 pm

RealityFox Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:21 pm
Sorry, I did mean hdri. And I thought making a simplified node for Octane would help in it's usability. Thanks for the Doc link but maybe someone needs to do a more in depth tutorial series on Blender Octane.

Anyway, is Otoy going to be making any updates on what is happening with 3.1? And is the Blender plugin waiting for the 2.8 update? You guys really need a PR team, I've basically stopped using Octane for Renderman just because it works so well with Substance Painter. I love Octane and it's results but the lack of knowing what is happening is fairly frustrating. I love Octane and think it's basically the best looking render engine out there but I have to admit my confidence in the engine is a bit meh...
RealityFox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Yichen_Dou » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Yichen_Dou Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm
Yeah, I think OTOY team paid too little attention to Blender. Blender is a great open source tool, especially in modelling and animation, and I really like using it to build hard surface and art project, but it is hard to find useful tutorials about Octane for Blender anywhere except manual documents . We need helpful tools and techniques provided by Octane magic. For now, I'd like to move whole scenes into Standalone version instead of working in Octane for Blender because of following problems.

1. Lighting is tricky (Too many steps) -- Ex. Area light: Add blender area light, Remove default emission node, Add an Octane diffuse material, Add an black body emission node, Adjust values, Make the area light object invisible instead of a plane.
2. After deleting an object from scene, the render viewport does not update it until I add another object? (Delete->No update, Add->Update?)
3. Lighting is tricky (Problems) -- Ex. There is a light that has alreay been assigned an Octane mesh light, and delete all nodes of the mesh light material, you will find that it is still lighting (whatever you do, such as deletion and addition of objects->to update render, nothing happened)
4. The manual does not tell the whole story. -- Ex. Change light color -> we need to find out by ourself, which texture should be added, where to find it and how does it work.
5. Other issues

In summary, this plugin is actually WIP and is less worth than what we expected to experience. I hope OTOY team can pay more efforts on developing it
Last edited by Yichen_Dou on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz Quad
RAM: 32.00 GB
Graphic Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Yichen_Dou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Yichen_Dou » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Yichen_Dou Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:02 pm
I recommand Otoy found a team to build complete progress for a presentation in different aspects in terms of the benefits using Octane for Blender. Such as How-TO abstract art - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=068g41cTrYY&t=48s or How-To make Wet road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEjSyYfEpE

Allegorithmic is a good example
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz Quad
RAM: 32.00 GB
Graphic Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Yichen_Dou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:31 pm

J.C Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:31 pm
ITISLTW wrote:Yeah, I think OTOY team paid too little attention to Blender. ....
In summary, this plugin is actually WIP and is less worth than what we expected to experience. I hope OTOY team can pay more efforts on developing it

Please join our new Facebook group dedicated to this plugin so together we may solve some issues quickly than here:
https://www.facebook.com/Blender-Octane ... 417242760/
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby azen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 am

azen Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 am
HI all,

An update on the progress of our development efforts:

After some effort and restructuring, we can now confirm that we have expanded our development team for the purpose of accelerating development. We have a new member on the team who will be fully dedicated to Blender development from now on. We will also be working in collaboration with another member of the team to accelerate development even further. Finding the necessary expertise, and providing the necessary training has been quite a challenge - Blender is by far one of our most complex products to develop, and we needed to get this phase of our restructuring right to avoid long-term issues.

Our new developer will make his introductions shortly. The first priority will be to build a stable 3.06 (and matching VR build). We will move further from there.

Cheers,
Azen
azen
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby allabulle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:50 am

allabulle Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:50 am
Thanks for the update, Azen.
allabulle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby deckor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 am

deckor Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 am
Hope to see development faster, We are stuido with 18 guys right now and we are shifting from MAX + Vray to blender + Octane. We were really impressed by the performance of octane , but we are really scared as the development for blender is very slow and there are many bugs in it. If its getting more delayed we might have to shift to Cycles !

@azen can there be a specific skype group where devs and studio artist can collaborate and exchange knowledge ?
deckor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 am

J.C Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 am
azen wrote:An update on the progress of our development efforts:

After some effort and restructuring, we can now confirm that we have expanded our development team for the purpose of accelerating development. We have a new member on the team who will be fully dedicated to Blender development from now on. We will also be working in collaboration with another member of the team to accelerate development even further. Finding the necessary expertise, and providing the necessary training has been quite a challenge - Blender is by far one of our most complex products to develop, and we needed to get this phase of our restructuring right to avoid long-term issues.

Our new developer will make his introductions shortly. The first priority will be to build a stable 3.06 (and matching VR build). We will move further from there.

Thank you for the update information. If you need some help with creating some training videos please contact me. Maybe I could help.

---------

deckor wrote:...
@azen can there be a specific skype group where devs and studio artist can collaborate and exchange knowledge ?

Please join our new Facebook group dedicated to this plugin so together we may solve some issues quickly than here:
https://www.facebook.com/Blender-Octane ... 417242760/
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby zukan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 am

zukan Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 am
Glad to hear it, thanks for staying committed to this plugin.
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 - GTX 970 + GTX 780 Ti - 16 GB RAM - Nvidia Driver: 367.15.10.35f01 - Octane Blender 3.05.3 - 11.23 - Blender 2.78a
zukan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tungerz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:45 am

tungerz Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:45 am
azen wrote:We have a new member on the team who will be fully dedicated to Blender development from now on. We will also be working in collaboration with another member of the team to accelerate development even further.

Who is this new team member?, that is working with which core member?, to bring octane blender up to speed?
Win7 64bit...Q6600 Quad core...8Gig Mem...9600 geforce...Daily Build Blender2.5x...Lionel's(Yoyoz)1.10 Blender Exporter... 0 Skill=Priceless
tungerz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Blender