Octane UV Bake Error

Forums: Octane UV Bake Error
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Octane UV Bake Error

Postby Draydin_r » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Draydin_r Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:36 pm
Hi Guys,

I see to be having a real problem with the UV Baking in octane at the moment. I seem to be having repeating distortions appear in in the edges of the UV bakes I make, in particular the light sources.

Is there anything that can be done about them? Currently this ruining the render I'm trying to make (as when reduced to low resolution by mipmapping these distortions can creep into the edges of the model in Unity. IS there any way to clean this up?

If any one could help me resolve this I would be ecstatic!

Draydin_r
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel Core i7 CPU 6850K @ 3.60GHz 128.0 GB Ram / Win 10 64 bit / 1x GeForce RTX 3080
Draydin_r
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane UV Bake Error

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:02 am

bepeg4d Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:02 am
Hi Draydin_r,
difficult to say from your screenshot.
If you can create and share a simple example scene that shows the issue, even via PM, it would be very useful.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby mojave » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 pm

mojave Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 pm
Noise may show up at the edges of your UV geometry if a low number of samples actually hit that area. That noise may spread along the padding area, which is what you see.

You may try to reduce the Edge noise tolerance of your baking camera settings so these hotpixels are removed during the baking process.

https://docs.otoy.com/StN_H/StandaloneM ... Camera.htm

I hope that helps.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Draydin_r » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Draydin_r Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 pm
Thanks for the response! I have the edge tolorance cranked down to 0.0 and this is still the result I'm getting. One thing I have noticed is how ragged the edges of the UVs can get to be.

Distortions_02.JPG

Distortions_05.JPG

Distortions_06.JPG

Here is what the results are with edge tolerance turned to 0.0 and the Edging brought to 16 pixels

Distortions_03.JPG

Distortions_04.JPG

My biggest issue is that the edges are so jagged for what should be straight lines, and as a result there are sections that simply will not clean up even with adaptive sampling. I suspect that this could the source of my troubles. Is there any thing that can resolve this?

Distortions_07.JPG

Increasing the Filter size seems to help a bit but does not remove the problem. Is there anything that you can suggest? If you would like to take a look at the scene file send me a message and I can fire off the package for you to look at.

Looking forward to hearing back about this!

Draydin_r
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Draydin_r on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7 CPU 6850K @ 3.60GHz 128.0 GB Ram / Win 10 64 bit / 1x GeForce RTX 3080
Draydin_r
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:44 pm

mojave Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:44 pm
Yes please, if you could share the scene maybe I could take a look at it and get back to you. You can share it via PM if you prefer.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mojave » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 am

mojave Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 am
Thank you for sharing your scene.

Draydin_r wrote:Thanks for the response! I have the edge tolorance cranked down to 0.0 and this is still the result I'm getting. One thing I have noticed is how ragged the edges of the UVs can get to be.

Distortions_02.JPG

What you see here is pixels with a low sample count due to that they are right at the edge of your UV geometry and/or no light reaches them, which if you'd use an alpha channel would be near to transparent as you can see here:

Draydin_r wrote:
Distortions_06.JPG

These low sample pixels are used to extrapolate your lightmap padding causing that effect. What I think it's happening is that because your scene in general takes a lot of samples to converge this is affecting specially these edge pixels, which would take even longer to clean up.

Can you see any artifacts after mapping the baked image back to your mesh?
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Draydin_r » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:48 am

Draydin_r Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:48 am
What you see here is pixels with a low sample count due to that they are right at the edge of your UV geometry and/or no light reaches them, which if you'd use an alpha channel would be near to transparent as you can see here:

This is from the final image exported from Octane (one of my earlier renders). As such this is just example of the in view port render in the other examples.

These low sample pixels are used to extrapolate your lightmap padding causing that effect. What I think it's happening is that because your scene in general takes a lot of samples to converge this is affecting specially these edge pixels, which would take even longer to clean up.

The problem is even with a 100K samples they don't clean up.... ever. This is a rather serious issue as at low resolution mip mapping shows the rare significant error (blotchy lines that repeat across an edge or in a corners etc). This would make the lighting extremely difficult to implement, as I would have to clean up the maps in Photoshop after every render. This kind of time expenditure is impossible to me to apply in a development timeline, I would easily log 50 hours per room after rendering time in the long run.

Distortions_08.JPG

Is there no way to interpolate the edges to account for these kinds of errors? Part of the issue is that I'l even seeing these in corners that are extremely well lit. The Irony Is few version back I didn't have this issue, but for the life me I can't find the version I was using that gave me such good results.... Is there anything else that could be causing this in scene?

Distortions_09.JPG
Draydin_r
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)