Moderator: JimStar

Re: OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.06.4 - 11.7[STABLE]

Postby itsallgoode9 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm

itsallgoode9 Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm
BK wrote:
itsallgoode9 wrote:
BK wrote:Hi Jo,

I have just PM 'd you.

What in the hell is up with all of this PMing? Why won't OTOY publicly say anything on the forums regarding this lack of updates. WTF

Oops !! My apology, I've realized it's my mistake.

Anyway, as an update about the Maya particle motion blur, we are planning to support this feature as well, but after the refactoring is completed.

Any idea on timing of the refactoring? I know any date you say is subject to change but, as we've all seen before, the refactoring is a very long process, and that means a large amount of time where we won't have updates (or very minimal updates) to our current plugin. Is this a months long process? weeks?

If this is going to happen, we'd like to be kept up to date about what/when to expect instead of the developers just disappearing off the maya forums for weeks at a time with very little communication or explanation, which happened during the last refactoring and is sorta happening now.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gah5118 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:57 pm

gah5118 Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:57 pm
I went ahead and updated to this version. I use the plugin for exporting alembic files to stand alone since it translates better than maya's native exporter at this point. However, I just spent 2 hours trying to find the version that has been delivering successful exports (3.06t-10.12). This is due to the camera not translating properly to stand alone via alembic for some reason. Furthermore, when I would try to open a couple of scenes in maya, it would freeze with the most recent version of the plugin.

Are there any plans on making the maya plugin usable? better integration? I could be wrong, but as stated before by myself and others, the foundation of this version of the plugin seems to be riddled with problems.
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:29 am

BK Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:29 am

Any idea on timing of the refactoring? I know any date you say is subject to change but, as we've all seen before, the refactoring is a very long process, and that means a large amount of time where we won't have updates (or very minimal updates) to our current plugin. Is this a months long process? weeks?

If this is going to happen, we'd like to be kept up to date about what/when to expect instead of the developers just disappearing off the maya forums for weeks at a time with very little communication or explanation, which happened during the last refactoring and is sorta happening now.

Hey itsallgoode9,

Thank you so much!!

Unfortunately, we do not have a fixed timing or a date yet, however, we are doing our best to deliver a robust Octane for Maya plugin version ASAP. Indeed, there is lots and lots of test involved which does take a large amount of time.

So, it may take few more months but the good thing is, everything is going according to plan.

Agreed, we would try to give updates on the progress from time to time.

Thanks again !!
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby BK » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:51 am

BK Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:51 am
gah5118 wrote:I went ahead and updated to this version. I use the plugin for exporting alembic files to stand alone since it translates better than maya's native exporter at this point. However, I just spent 2 hours trying to find the version that has been delivering successful exports (3.06t-10.12). This is due to the camera not translating properly to stand alone via alembic for some reason. Furthermore, when I would try to open a couple of scenes in maya, it would freeze with the most recent version of the plugin.

Are there any plans on making the maya plugin usable? better integration? I could be wrong, but as stated before by myself and others, the foundation of this version of the plugin seems to be riddled with problems.

Hi Gah5118,

Sorry to hear this!!! Which version of Maya and OS, you are running Octane?

We are investigating this issue now. Also, is it possible to email us the sample file to debug here?

Our dev is currently working on a huge refactoring, hope a lot of things get resolved.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gah5118 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:19 pm

gah5118 Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:19 pm
Unfortunately, I'm unable to share the scene. However, knowing something is coming (I hope a ground up rework with a better foundation), I'm not as concerned with resolving these issues with this iteration of the plugin. I'd rather not drain resources to patch a obsolete plugin. I found the version that is working, so we'll be ignoring future updates until the next iteration of the plugin. I just hope the features discussed in the past are delivered ( access to the octane node editor being a major one since it has become essential to our workflow ).
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:20 am

BK Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:20 am
gah5118 wrote:Unfortunately, I'm unable to share the scene. However, knowing something is coming (I hope a ground up rework with a better foundation), I'm not as concerned with resolving these issues with this iteration of the plugin. I'd rather not drain resources to patch a obsolete plugin. I found the version that is working, so we'll be ignoring future updates until the next iteration of the plugin. I just hope the features discussed in the past are delivered ( access to the octane node editor being a major one since it has become essential to our workflow ).

Hi Gah5118,

Fair enough !! well, it's good to know you found a working version for now. There is lots of work going on with the plugin and at this stage, our goal is to fix internal motion blur also support Proxy, Maya's Xgen and Bifrost. We will keep everyone informed.

thanks again !!!
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:17 pm

itsallgoode9 Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:17 pm
BK wrote:
gah5118 wrote:Unfortunately, I'm unable to share the scene. However, knowing something is coming (I hope a ground up rework with a better foundation), I'm not as concerned with resolving these issues with this iteration of the plugin. I'd rather not drain resources to patch a obsolete plugin. I found the version that is working, so we'll be ignoring future updates until the next iteration of the plugin. I just hope the features discussed in the past are delivered ( access to the octane node editor being a major one since it has become essential to our workflow ).

Hi Gah5118,

Fair enough !! well, it's good to know you found a working version for now. There is lots of work going on with the plugin and at this stage, our goal is to fix internal motion blur also support Proxy, Maya's Xgen and Bifrost. We will keep everyone informed.

thanks again !!!

Would this be for an update before the refactored plugin comes around? Just trying to get an idea of whether or not we will still be getting updates during the next few months while the refactored plugin is being completed or if there will be no updates until the refactored plugin is complete.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 am

BK Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:
BK wrote:

Hi Gah5118,

thanks again !!!

Would this be for an update before the refactored plugin comes around? Just trying to get an idea of whether or not we will still be getting updates during the next few months while the refactored plugin is being completed or if there will be no updates until the refactored plugin is complete.

Correct !! this is the stable update before the refactored plugin comes around. We would give updates on the forums from time to time.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:04 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:04 pm
Will there be any bug fixes to the current version during the next couple months that the refactoring is taking place? or are we stuck with any existing bugs of the current version for a few months, until the refactored version gets released?
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 am

BK Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:Will there be any bug fixes to the current version during the next couple months that the refactoring is taking place? or are we stuck with any existing bugs of the current version for a few months, until the refactored version gets released?

There are no bug fixes for the current version but they are all logged on our tracking system. We planned to focus 100% on refactoring which will help us to finish it ASAP, unless there is any major bug report.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Releases