Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!

Forums: Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Re: Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!

Postby Goldorak » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 am

Goldorak Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 am
calus wrote:
Goldorak wrote:I'm paying attention to the forums, but I do miss threads I'd like to contrubute to now and again. I am sorry I didn't get to this one sooner. I just wanted to make clear that we're all supporting the Maya development at every level in the company.

oh maybe you missed this one then ?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57250&start=30#p311831

I had a post I in progress for that one, but it may need to wait for tomorrow.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 am

calus Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 am
Goldorak wrote:Hi all.

We are in the process of hiring more devs to add to the Maya team. Yes it's been ongoing for months. I am sorry it hasn't moved faster, we need to do this right.

I 'm happy with that, it's nice to know that you didn't abandon the idea of hiring an additionnal Maya developper.

But stepping back a little, finally we are at the same point than 6 month ago,
it's hard for users to stay optimistic on that when we still have no time-frame for this to happen:

Why hiring an additional Experienced Maya Developer take so long ?
Is it hard to find good available Maya engineers ? is it a money issue ?

Can you tell us more about that, the difficulties, what you expect and when objectively ?
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby artfabrik » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 am

artfabrik Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 am
any news on this?
indeed, very hard to stay optimistic - don't want to mention it too loud but parts of my team are investigating other options right now :(
artfabrik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:26 am

BK Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:26 am
hi Artfabrik,

We have just sent a PM to you.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby sachakogel123 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:05 pm

sachakogel123 Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:05 pm
I am really sad to be reading this. I left octane back in 2015 after giving it a try and finding it very difficult to get support and when I saw a collegue of mine using it in Cinema 4d and how well it was integrated into cinema I just decided to leave the idea of getting the company I work for to use octane altogether as I was unable to achieve simple things for really small productions and thus was unable to use it for production purposes. I had a massive job to do at the time and the choice was Vray, Octane or Arnold. at that time Arnold wasn't working for me as it was a bit too slow, Octane kept crashing and couldn't handle Maya paint effects, I had to delete history of my Paint effects in order to get it to render and would just reach poly limit everytime, I took our smallest shot and tried to convert to octane and it was a fail, I asked for help and got no where so I just went with Vray.

This was sad because I loved the look I was getting with octane however I just could not use it. At the time if we did go the Octane route we would have bought many licenses and many GPU's as our budget was huge.

I got word that Octane 4 was released recently and I tried it out and all the issues I had before seem to have been solved and I saw a option to rent it monthly so I thought awesome let me buy a version for myself and try it out and one thing I can say is that the support I have received so far via email has been great. Very helpful. My most current request is not being answered though but it has been holiday season so im hoping to get it sorted shortly.

I do need to say though that I still haven't been able to do even the smallest of projects in octane yet as I keep hitting walls, I get allot of crashes and I am unable to animate attributes in a shader without the viewport slowing down to a grinding halt when I try scrub my time slider.
I also think its obscenely hard to create fog in my scene, the amount of steps I have to go through to create volume fog is amazing! this should really be simplified, "Create volume scattering in the environment tab" and then all lights should have Volume contribution factor. the end! all this medium scale etc makes no sense to me and its extremely hard to work with, what works in one scene just fails in another and you have to sit there dealing with medium scale for 5 hours till you get it right. This is ridiculous.

Displacement with things like megascans breaks my polygons up and I just don't understand why, have to do silly things like open the displacement exr in photoshop and save it out as a different format or bit depth etc. These are things that just need to be fixed ASAP as they are production killers that will bring a production to its knees.

Otherwise well done, the improvements in support since I tried octane in 2015 have improved drastically. I do feel a bit annoyed that I am basically just beta testing this software at this point in time as I can't actually use it in a production, I would like this to be better as I would love to actually complete a project in Octane as I love the way the renderer looks.
sachakogel123
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby metaphysique » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:48 am

metaphysique Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:48 am
Hi Bikram, very happy to see someone is dedicated to supporting the Maya plugin. I'm loving octane, but the plugin very much needs support! :D

A few issues I've recently posted about are:

2. A rather smooth scene (all alembic cache) slows to a crawl if I animate a texture via its projection or transform nodes. Speeds back up as I remove the animation curves from the shader's network. I'm probably wrong about my next assumption and this might sound offensive, so I apologize in advance; However, I'm assuming there is some fancy procedure happening that is making my geo various flat colors in the viewport. To me, this preview is useless and have also had issues with the Hypershade in regards to the shader ball rendering (disabling this already built in, but useful to have the previews). It'd be great to have an option to disable/pause/update the viewport preview or just map the diffuse over a basic lambert/phong calculation for speedy feedback.

It would seem the bog associated with the viewport preview starts to cause issues elsewhere. I've seen the IPR resend the scene to the cards if I change shader properties - even just selecting a shader has triggered the scene to export, really weird stuff that's hard to replicate.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for having a look.
metaphysique
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 am

JimStar Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 am
Sorry, but unlikely Bikram would be able to answer you - you gave a very unclear description. I can't understand it either.
Could you please just do some clear formal description?
  • What you see is happening on your side that is wrong?
  • What you expect to be happening so that it would be OK for you?
  • If the same is happening for you in Standalone after exporting the scene (e.g. rendering slowdown) - you need to report it in the Standalone section.
  • Clear step-by-step instruction of how I can reproduce it.
  • The scene attached, where it is reproduceable.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby metaphysique » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:49 pm

metaphysique Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:49 pm
Hi Jimstar, thanks for your response.

What you see is happening on your side that is wrong?

A rather smooth scene (all alembic cache) slows to a crawl if I animate a texture via its projection or transform nodes.

Specifically scrubbing the timeline and DAG updates. This is specific to the Maya interface, not rendering.

What you expect to be happening so that it would be OK for you?

Speeds back up as I remove the animation curves from the shader's network.

Scubbing the timeline (i.e. DAG udpates) should be as smooth as a scene without texture animation.

If the same is happening for you in Standalone after exporting the scene (e.g. rendering slowdown) - you need to report it in the Standalone section.

Standalone doesn't have a viewport preview so this is irrelevant. Has nothing to do with rendering.

Clear step-by-step instruction of how I can reproduce it.

Setup any scene with a decent amount of geometry. Apply shaders, add file textures, add transform nodes, animate transform node values. Repeat to increase slow down.

The scene attached, where it is reproduceable.

If I find some time I'll setup a new scene that I can share.
metaphysique
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:44 am

JimStar Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:44 am
Do you scrub the timeline with rendering (IPR or OctaneViewport) active or not?

The scene is required, because there are a couple of things that could affect the speed, and which might be different in my tests and on your side. For example your preview quality settings can affect this dramatically (discussed many times here already). Try to set the "Textures quality (spp)" and "Swatch quality (spp)" both to "0" in "Maya viewport defaults" rollout of Octane globals (this will disable the previews generation though)...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby metaphysique » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 am

metaphysique Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 am
No rendering, just the a viewport. Render view closed, hyper shade closed. Thanks for this tip, will give it a shot and report!
metaphysique
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Maya