OCTANE DEVELOPERS READ THIS THREAD TO SEE OCTANES ISSUES

Forums: OCTANE DEVELOPERS READ THIS THREAD TO SEE OCTANES ISSUES
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OCTANE DEVELOPERS READ THIS THREAD TO SEE OCTANES ISSUES

Postby Tag12345 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:30 am

Tag12345 Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:30 am
Its been like a year since we got 3.0.

I bought Octane around that time for the innovation and advancement it had over a various amount of other render engines. But come 6+ months later, the only big thing we've had was adaptive sampling which hasn't honestly been that big of a feature for Octane as people expected huge results to show in time/noise.

Up until now we have had no notice of anything behind the scenes. We have heard bits and pieces about the delay with AMD or updates about the supposed integration and partnership with Altus Innobright.

And lastlY, as far as a personal experience. As a c4d user, I liked the fact that Octane had a better Material than most renderers, and probably one of the best looks. But I'm conflicted with the fact that even with 2 GTX 1080s I can't get my renders to be as noise free and as fast as what I can get from my native physical renderer. Octane looks much more realistic but Still falls short in memory usage optimization and time optimizations.

Not only that but Octanes materials like faking AO with the dirt shader or using mix materials to fake material stacking kinda just gets in the way of productivity and there hasn't been any move onto these ideas or concepts.

I feel we have been disconnected with the team for awhile and I hope that we can reach a mutual understanding of the things going on behind the scenes and what is planned for the future!

~Adrian
Last edited by Tag12345 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
Tag12345
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Where is Octane in Development?

Postby Goldorak » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:47 am

Goldorak Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:47 am
Tag12345 wrote:Its been like a year since we got 3.0.

I bought Octane around that time for the innovation and advancement it had over a various amount of other render engines. But come 6+ months later, the only big thing we've had was adaptive sampling which hasn't honestly been that big of a feature for Octane as people expected huge results to show in time/noise.

Up until now we have had no notice of anything behind the scenes. We have heard bits and pieces about the delay with AMD or updates about the supposed integration and partnership with Altus Innobright.

And lastlY, as far as a personal experience. As a c4d user, I liked the fact that Octane had a better Material than most renderers, and probably one of the best looks. But I'm conflicted with the fact that even with 2 GTX 1080s I can't get my renders to be as noise free and as fast as what I can get from my native physical renderer. Octane looks much more realistic but Still falls short in memory usage optimization and time optimizations.

Not only that but Octanes materials like faking AO with the dirt shader or using mix materials to fake material stacking kinda just gets in the way of productivity and there hasn't been any move onto these ideas or concepts.

I feel we have been disconnected with the team for awhile and I hope that we can reach a mutual understanding of the things going on behind the scenes and what is planned for the future!

~Adrian

See my reply to your other post:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=54674&p=316971#p316971
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Juanlife » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Juanlife Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 pm
Tag12345 wrote: But I'm conflicted with the fact that even with 2 GTX 1080s I can't get my renders to be as noise free and as fast as what I can get from my native physical renderer."

same here, 2x gtx1080ti + 2x gtx titan = still noise... no matter if adjust all settings, no matter if samples are higher and higher, no matter if the render take 2 hours or 5 days, not matter if we spend hours or days searching for a solution in forums... for me all octane things are exellent except for that little thing... the noise, that ruin all my tryes to use octane as comercial tool, I bought octane on june 2014, after 3 years i have always had to use vray again, i think denoise solution must be in the #1 of the priority list, 3rd party could be ok but we need built-in solution, seems like octane is not a complete tool at all...
Juanlife
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby zoppo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:35 pm

zoppo Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:35 pm
Juanlife wrote:same here, 2x gtx1080ti + 2x gtx titan = still noise... no matter if adjust all settings, no matter if samples are higher and higher, no matter if the render take 2 hours or 5 days, not matter if we spend hours or days searching for a solution in forums

How about you simply buy Neat Video?
C4D 2023 | Win10
zoppo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:19 am

bepeg4d Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:19 am
Hi Juanlife,
did you try Path Tracing with GI Clamp and Adaptive Sampling?
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60014
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Tag12345 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 am

Tag12345 Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 am
zoppo wrote:
Juanlife wrote:same here, 2x gtx1080ti + 2x gtx titan = still noise... no matter if adjust all settings, no matter if samples are higher and higher, no matter if the render take 2 hours or 5 days, not matter if we spend hours or days searching for a solution in forums

How about you simply buy Neat Video?

I can atest that Neat Video NOR Denoiser II or Denoiser III by Red Giant will do all that much. I have spent much time with clients rerendering their content due to this. I usually always have to set the passes for higher times and over res the render so I can downscale in post for noise reduction along with the above.

Its a tedious process.

Like the dude said, even with TOP equipment, there is no reason we should be seeing such a difference. If we were to render in any other Render Engine, the speed would mostly be the same. No IPR for most CPU renderers and not at the Realisticness,etc that Octane provides, but still noiseless.

This is literally the most frustrating thing with Octane atm and it should be Priority. Like I said, Altus integration was talked about and seems like one of the only real solutions to this dilemma.

As to GI CLAMP and AS -- doesnt do much at all -- and not really a solution worth fiddling with tbh
Tag12345
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mirobimbo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:48 am

mirobimbo Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:48 am
Tag12345 wrote:
zoppo wrote:
Juanlife wrote:.
Like I said, Altus integration was talked about and seems like one of the only real solutions to this dilemma.

Altus has extremely expensive subscription
and generally, I will never pay for any subscription.
For me, the only real solutions is Octane internal denoiser
or now very well working Cycles denoiser ...
Sorry my English.
mirobimbo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby albaglib » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 pm

albaglib Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 pm
This becomes a shame the octane updates ...
Can of thing in 1 year
but a lot of road map with beautiful Slides ....
I started looking at other Redshift, Corona.
On Cycles Render there is a Denoiser / CPU / GPU with a beautiful system nodal PBR/BDSF and it’s Free !!!
albaglib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Tag12345 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 am

Tag12345 Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 am
mirobimbo wrote:
Tag12345 wrote:Like I said, Altus integration was talked about and seems like one of the only real solutions to this dilemma.
and generally, I will never pay for any subscription.
For me, the only real solutions is Octane internal denoiser
r ...
[/quote]

They were planning on using Altus Denoiser tech with Octane.

It seems they have a Internal one for 3.07

but who knows when thatll be here :(
Tag12345
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:43 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:43 am
would be good to have something about denoise would be great. how far you guys are to be released? Just for idea? we saw some previews test I guess we could have a first release maybe?

Cheers,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)