Clean renders, activating gpus, and render times

Forums: Clean renders, activating gpus, and render times
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: Clean renders, activating gpus, and render times

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:02 pm

ChrisHekman Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:02 pm
EFS wrote:Thanks. I was hoping Unity would open the door for short film type renders for hobbyists, but it sounds like its really going to be used mainly for short cutscenes < 1 minute. Which, for a game engine, makes sense ;). Unless, of course, tweaking these things does wonders for render speed.

I'll check out the direct lighting kernel when I get a chance. Much appreciated.

Short films and animations are definitely possible.
What many companies do is setup and edit the animation/film using low resolution/quality renders, or even in a rasteriser. Then when they are happy with what they have, they do a high quality render with Octane's Pathtracer.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby EFS » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:09 pm

EFS Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:09 pm
Ahh gotcha. That makes sense ... I was actually thinking about that and doing the math on my way to work.

Probably will need some sort of Octane in Unity for Dummies readme when this officially launches for best practices :). Thanks again.
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EFS » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm

EFS Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm
Xhed wrote:Could you export the scene as an ORBX file and try rendering it in standalone? I'm curious what the performance is there using the same GPUs.

What resolution and kernel are you for your render? 12 minutes sounds like a long time for a render.

The speed improvement of enabling a 2nd GPU is a little under 100%, due to overhead of adressing the 2nd GPU and the syncing.

The test build is limited in the number of GPUs, we only allow usage of 2. When we release the final product, there will be multiple subscription tiers with different capabilities, where you could enable >2 GPUs for Tier 3.

Sorry to keep bothering you guys. Last clarification on this. When you say "When we release the final product, there will be multiple subscription tiers with different capabilities, where you could enable >2 GPUs for Tier 3.", does that mean the same thing as in the OctaneRender FAQ as stated below? Meaning, we can add as many gpus as we can connect at that point and continue to gain near 100% for each one, or will the Unity version not function the same way as the standalone?

https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/faqs/
"Yes! Octane Render completely relies on the GPU for rendering performance and scales extremely well. If your motherboard can accept more than one video card, adding additional video cards will greatly improve Octane’s rendering speed because Octane’s performance scales perfectly with the number of GPUs (e.g. rendering with four GTX Titans will be 4x faster than using only 1 GTX Titan), without the need for SLI. The cards can be different models, allowing GPUs from two completely different architectures to be used in a machine with multiple PCI-E slots (such as a GTX 560 in the primary slot and a GTX 780 in the second).

The cost of adding an additional NVIDIA GPU to your system is very low compared to the cost of a small renderfarm of 10 to 15 computers to get the same performance with a CPU based rendering solution."
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Xhed » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Xhed Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:01 pm
It will function slightly different. There will be more information at launch :)
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby 1suky1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:23 pm

1suky1 Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:23 pm
Did some simple tests and Unity rendered on average 2x slower than Cinema4D

Path tracing

Direct lighting with gi_diffuse

I used default settings from unity for path tracing but for DL I changed them a bit because specular and glossy depth was too low and I used gi_diffuse.

But I will say that it's pretty nice to have literally the same settings in both unity and c4d.

edit:
Forgot to mention I'm on a single GTX970
1suky1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Octane for Unity