Unity lights

Forums: Unity lights
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Unity lights

Postby EFS » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:02 pm

EFS Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:02 pm
Any chance the directional light colors can automatically plug into the proper octane values? There are some different environmental colors, but it would be great if we could just use the lights like we always have in Unity and adjust the colors straight in the light's inspector.

Also, any eta on when we will have point lights / spot lights / area lights working (or what the equivalents will be?)
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Unity lights

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 pm

ChrisHekman Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 pm
The Area/Spot/Point lights should be in there already. The unity light system and the Octane light system do not match out of the box.
We try to automatically approximate unity lights in Octane For Unity. If you are not seeing the approriate results, you can tweak the settings.
If you have octane loaded, Area/Spot/Point lights should have a component next to them called "PBR Unity Light Component".
You can set it to User and tweak the power of the light.
let us know if it works.

Directional lights currently only work as the Octane Environmental Sun. Octane does not support sun color yet.
We are looking into possible solutions. Both for color, and support for multiple directional lights.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby SteveElbows » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:19 pm

SteveElbows Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:19 pm
I think it is the way the documentation is written that made people think that a bunch of unity lights dont work in Octane, since it mentions the single directional light limitation in a manner that sounds like its the only unity light that works (apart from emissive materials on meshes)! I certainly thought that until I read this thread, so cheers for the clarification.
SteveElbows
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Izaaner » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Izaaner Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:16 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:The Area/Spot/Point lights should be in there already. The unity light system and the Octane light system do not match out of the box.
We try to automatically approximate unity lights in Octane For Unity. If you are not seeing the approriate results, you can tweak the settings.
If you have octane loaded, Area/Spot/Point lights should have a component next to them called "PBR Unity Light Component".
let us know if it works.

Directional lights currently only work as the Octane Environmental Sun. Octane does not support sun color yet.
We are looking into possible solutions. Both for color, and support for multiple directional lights.

I have been able to render with a spotlight but it seems that shadows are only rendered for directional lights (though I am new to octane settings and could easily be missing something). That being said, I did try changing settings in octane with and without rendering active and the settings may or may not be updating. I am not sure if the editor changes are being seen by the octane tool. Please let me know if I am missing anything for shadows! I do not notice them on my background or character in my test scene for the spotlight but do see them for the very subtle directional fill light I have.

Thank you!
Izaaner

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:08 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:08 pm
Izaaner wrote:
ChrisHekman wrote:The Area/Spot/Point lights should be in there already. The unity light system and the Octane light system do not match out of the box.
let us know if it works.

I have been able to render with a spotlight but it seems that shadows are only rendered for directional lights (though I am new to octane settings and could easily be missing something). That being said, I did try changing settings in octane with and without rendering active and the settings may or may not be updating. I am not sure if the editor changes are being seen by the octane tool. Please let me know if I am missing anything for shadows! I do not notice them on my background or character in my test scene for the spotlight but do see them for the very subtle directional fill light I have.

Thank you!

Sunlight(Directional light) has a tendency to drown out shadows from other light sources. In unity and especially in Octane.
I did a simple check with the spotlights and they are working correctly on our end. If you see the light the unity light casts in the PBR Viewport, you should also see the shadow.
It might be that the light is dropping off to fast and does not reach the surface it should cast shadows on sufficiently?
Try adjusting the light values in the PBR Unity Light Component, should be on the same gameobject as the Unity Light Component.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Octane for Unity