How do I render my Revit lights?

Forums: How do I render my Revit lights?
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

How do I render my Revit lights?

Postby SamuelAB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:31 pm

SamuelAB Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:31 pm
Revit has a bunch of lights with IES, lumen values and color temperatures. How do I get these to be rendered? Right now it seems only the solar light is being calculated.
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How do I render my Revit lights?

Postby face_off » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:45 pm

face_off Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:45 pm
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SamuelAB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm

SamuelAB Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm
Another thing that's available in the 3ds Max exports of Revit, but not in Revit! Dammit, Revit needs lo loosen the heck up!

I'm curious as to how that would be possible to not give access to the IES files in the APi. Elumtools is a plugin that is able to read that data seamlessly.
http://www.elumtools.com/
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 am

face_off Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 am
If you send me a .rvt file containing just the IES file you are trying to use, I will take a closer look.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SamuelAB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm

SamuelAB Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm
Here is a scene with simple Revit lights. If you need the standalone IES files, I can probably find them as well. Right now they are embedded in the Revit family.

Thanks!
Attachments
LightText.zip
(981.57 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 am

face_off Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 am
Thanks for sending the scene. I don't have any absolute answers, but hopefully the following information will help:

1) The Revit emitters (containing the IES distribution) in your scene are geometry items - which all have the same Revit Material. Octane is converting the Revit Material (which is called "Light-Metal") to an Octane material, and if you look at the Revit Material, you will see no evidence that it is an emitter. Emitters in Octane are defined by Material, whereas in this case the emitter in Revit is defined in the Geometry item parameters.

2) When the Octane plugin converts the "Light-Metal" material to an Octane material, there is no way for the plugin to determine which Revit geometry items are using that Revit Material - and therefore it does not know that the Light-Recessed family is using that material, and therefore cannot read the Photometrics data from the Light-Recessed family.

So in summary, the Octane plugin will convert any emitter data from a Revit Material (because there is a one-to-one correlation between Revit and Octane materials). But it will not convert emitter information from the Revit Type properties.

So in this case you really need to create 4 Revit materials (Light-Metal-1, Light-Metal-2, Light-Metal-3 and Light-Metal-4), assign them to the 4 different emitters, and then edit the resulting Octane materials to set the applicable IES file. You can shortcut this by creating a single Emitter material, and "Export Material" that material and then import it into any other emitter materials in the scene.

I hope that helps.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SamuelAB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:40 am

SamuelAB Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:40 am
There is no geometry for lighting that is directly accessible to the user per say. Lighting surfaces are separate from all other Revit geometry. You can't paint it for example. You access it's form through a separate menu. I would not be able to assign the lighting geometry to a light fixture using the exact same geometry.

Light.jpg

Light 2.jpg

Perhaps this is a misunderstanding, because I am unable to envision your Revit to Octane lighting workflow. Perhaps a short video of the workflow would help elucidate this.
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 am

face_off Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 am
Octane lights need geometry - so geometry-less Revit lights are not visible in Octane. There is a discuss on this at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=34691 which shows how some users address this.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jimho » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:59 am

jimho Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:59 am
Light is also quite important issue,
all interiors and the night view need the lights.
to my understanding, light source is different from emission materials,
In Both C4d and 3dmax we can see there is light source from octane, so not to understand why in revit cannot.
IES should be quite common way to describe the different type of light source.
Not very sure using emmit material to replace light source is a proper way.

In addition, I am quite curious. how can we do vollume light in octane for revit?
In vray it need to describe some parameters for fog, in the octane for C4d need to use a object contain many layered planes to actas fog,

what we should do in Oc for revit?

Jim

Supermicro 4028GR TR2|Intel xeon E5 2697 V3| windows 10| revit 2019 |Titan V+ Quadro GV100+RTX 2080 Ti
jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:08 pm

face_off Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:08 pm
how can we do vollume light in octane for revit?
You can do this via the Environment node. https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH_STA/StandaloneManual.htm#StandaloneSTA/VolumeFogEffects.htm

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Autodesk Revit