Octane for Unity - Installation Guide (rev. July 31st, 2017)

Forums: Octane for Unity - Installation Guide (rev. July 31st, 2017)
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Octane for Unity - Installation Guide (rev. July 31st, 2017)

Postby Goldorak » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Goldorak Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:49 pm
Octane for Unity: Installation and Usage Guide (RC1)
Updated: July 31st, 2017

Please visit https://unity.otoy.com/ for the latest documentation, samples, tutorials, FAQs and Unity asset store links related to Octane for Unity.

A downloadable windows EXE for manually activating the latest public stable release of Octane for Unity (2017.1) is available here: https://unity.otoy.com/install.exe
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Octane for Unity - Installation Guide and FAQ (UPDATED)

Postby Goldorak » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 am

Goldorak Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 am
Sample ORBX to Unity scene:

July 31st 2017 Update - this latest version of this scene is now part of the Unity asset store Octane sample pack.

ORBX_caustic_dragbdrop.png
Attachments
caustic_ORBX.unitypackage
(3.15 MiB) Downloaded 1372 times
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby limeforce » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:34 pm

limeforce Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:34 pm
Hi guys, so an OctaneVR subscription is required to test the alpha? No dice with a purchased standalone license?
Attachments
lic.jpg
limeforce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Goldorak Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:00 pm
Right now it's the easiest way to support testing - but in final release it will be free to everyone.

If you have ever used ORC, you already have a free OVR license for a year to go with that. We'll add a 30 day OVR license for up to 100 permanent users (without ORC/OVR) who want to do testing and provide feedback on this forum - starting with you!
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby elecman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:36 am

elecman Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:36 am
I just installed Octane for Unity but so far only limited success. Using Unity 2017.1.0f2. and a native Unity scene (not orbx).

The first install went fine, but I got a nullreference exception a few times per second in the Unity console. Then I uninstalled Octane for Unity (via the Unity menu, not the exe) and installed again. After going to Unity->Octane->Install again, I got this error with the installation failed (no menu items but install available):

IOException: Sharing violation on path C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Octane\Unity\2017.1.0f2_0.9.2.801\octane.dll
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/FileStream.cs:320)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
(wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int)
System.IO.File.Create (System.String path, Int32 bufferSize) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:135)
System.IO.File.Create (System.String path) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:130)
System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes (System.String path, System.Byte[] bytes) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:594)
OTOY.OctaneUnityPackage.Unpack (System.String inputFile, System.String outputDirectory)
UnityEditor.OctaneInstaller.OctanePluginManager.DownloadCompleted (System.String file, Boolean success)
OctanePlugin.ServerClient.DownloadUpdate ()
OctanePlugin.ServerClient.Update ()
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:109)

Then I closed Unity, uninstalled Octane via windows control panel, installed the exe again, and started Unity. Then I clicked on Unity->Octane->Install again. This time no install error.

But after loading Octane in Unity, I got this error many times again:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
OctaneUnity.ResourceMapper.UpdateInstance (UnityEngine.GameObject obj)
OctaneUnity.Scene.AddObject (UnityEngine.GameObject obj, OctaneUnity.SceneGraphNode parentNode)
OctaneUnity.Scene.UpdateGameObject (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject)
OctaneUnity.Scene.UpdateChanges (OctaneUnity.SceneChanges changes)
OctaneUnity.Scene.Update (Boolean forceUpdate, Boolean blockRender)
OctaneUnity.PluginController.Update ()
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:109)

When unloading Octane, Unity crashed. Started Unity again and loaded Octane. Same error returned. Adding a PBR render target did not solve the issue.

Then I tried to get the caustic example to work. I created a new scene and imported the unitypackage. It should be mentioned in the manual that you need to install Octane via the Unity menu first after creating a new scene before you can drag and drop an orbx file into the scene. Aside from that, when I drag and drop the caustics orbx scene into the Hierarchy, nothing happens and no error is shown. When I drag and drop the orbx scene into the Scene window, I get this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
OctanePlugin.ORBXFileDragAndDrop.PlaceOrbxSceneObject (Octane.OrbxScene orbx)
OctanePlugin.ORBXFileDragAndDrop.SceneOnGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView view)
UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2403)
UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1721)
UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1553)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:272)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:265)
UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:232)

Now I tried using a fresh scene with just a standard Unity cube. First I did Unity->Octane->Install but was stuck at Downloading Octane, connecting... Internet is fine. Why does it need to re-download Ocatane for the 10th time in half an hour? Surely it should be up to the user if he wants to download the latest version or use the previously downloaded version on disc.

Restarted Unity and tried installing, and auto downloading again. This time downloading works. If forcing the user to download the latest version (which is the latest anyway), perhaps adding a timeout and retry would be helpful.

Anyway, after installing Octane in Unity, I added a cube to the scene, then loaded Octane. This time no error. Yay! Rendering works fine.

-Fix the error I get with my scene. PM me for the source.
-Fix the ability to drag and drop an orbx scene in the Hierarchy and Scene window.
-Display the render result in the Game window instead of a separate render preview window.
-The manual states Unity mappings: Render target, but there is no such thing as render target. What you mean is Hierarchy->PBR Render Target (game object)->Inspector->PBR Render Target Component->Camera->Select camera.
-Don't force to download the same thing over and over.
-Right clicking on the Hierarchy "Create PBR render target" should have the name Octane in it and it doesn't work if Octane is not loaded yet.
-Closing Unity when Octane is loaded, crashes Unity.
elecman
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DrStraightface » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:15 pm

DrStraightface Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:15 pm
Goldorak wrote:We'll add a 30 day OVR license for up to 100 permanent users (without ORC/OVR) who want to do testing and provide feedback on this forum - starting with you!

Yes, please.
DrStraightface

Postby Rebelismo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Rebelismo Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:04 pm
Goldorak wrote:Right now it's the easiest way to support testing - but in final release it will be free to everyone.

If you have ever used ORC, you already have a free OVR license for a year to go with that. We'll add a 30 day OVR license for up to 100 permanent users (without ORC/OVR) who want to do testing and provide feedback on this forum - starting with you!

Hey Goldorak

I own the Standalone and a Houdini Octane license. I have used ORC to do a simple test, but for some reason I still get the message "Could not find the required license" when I try to activate Octane within Unity. Would it be possible for me to join the testers, or should I just wait until the full release?

Thanks!
Rebelismo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stevenb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:27 pm

stevenb Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:27 pm
Hi @Goldorak,

I'd like to test Octane for Unity, could you sign me up for a 30 day OVR license?

Regards, Steven
stevenb

Postby vanta » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:43 pm

vanta Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:43 pm
Hi,
It's VanTa, software developer at Pfadfinderei.com
I would love to help out with the alpha and beta stages.
Count me in :)

v
vanta

Postby EFS » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:48 pm

EFS Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:48 pm
Goldorak wrote:Right now it's the easiest way to support testing - but in final release it will be free to everyone.

Any chance we can get added as well to the testing? We purchased the standalone + 3ds max ONLY because its coming to Unity and we wanted to get a little more familiar with Octane. Lets just say being barred from testing after spending money on this awaiting Unity is frustrating :).
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Octane for Unity