Octane Render for SketchUp 3.06.1.4 Test Release

Forums: Octane Render for SketchUp 3.06.1.4 Test Release
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Re: Octane Render for SketchUp 3.06.1.4 Test Release

Postby cdi3d » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:37 pm

cdi3d Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:37 pm
First off the new layout is awesome and it looks like things are progressing nicely - As it has already been mentioned once you start octane it appears there is no way to stop it - Even after exiting SU and restarting - Octane starts calculating when a scene is opened. Is the only way to stop it in system preferences?
Thanks again and great work on the update.
Mike
cdi3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby -rb- » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:40 pm

-rb- Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:40 pm
Also - if you de-activate the plugin in SU17 - crash...

- Rich
-rb-
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby -rb- » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:21 pm

-rb- Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:21 pm
Someone tell me there's some movement on the instability issues cause it's killing me - if we can't manipulate geometry while the plugin is installed it's just a wasted realease really

- Rich
-rb-
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oscartung » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:21 am

oscartung Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:21 am
-rb- wrote:Someone tell me there's some movement on the instability issues cause it's killing me - if we can't manipulate geometry while the plugin is installed it's just a wasted realease really

- Rich

It's a test release, unless you got time to help debugging just stay away from it and export with TIG's plugin or any OBJ exporter to standalone which is super stable. The plugin never worked out for me since the beginning, I only use it to get the scatter node for vegetation or lights or any high-poly repeating geometries which are too slow to export.
oscartung
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby CaptainCrowbar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:25 am

CaptainCrowbar Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:25 am
Just a quick update: We're currently testing internally a new build that links multiple camera views in SU to separate render targets in Octane (among other changes, including the "reset scene" option Notiusweb requested). Of course we're also looking into the stability issues some of you are having. We plan to make a public test release early next week.
CaptainCrowbar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:43 am

Seekerfinder Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:43 am
CaptainCrowbar wrote:Just a quick update: We're currently testing internally a new build that links multiple camera views in SU to separate render targets in Octane (among other changes, including the "reset scene" option Notiusweb requested). Of course we're also looking into the stability issues some of you are having. We plan to make a public test release early next week.

Again I'd like to know if SU ORTHO views would translate accurately to the plugin? This is important.
Thanks
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby -rb- » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:15 am

-rb- Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:15 am
oscartung wrote:
-rb- wrote:Someone tell me there's some movement on the instability issues cause it's killing me - if we can't manipulate geometry while the plugin is installed it's just a wasted realease really

- Rich

It's a test release, unless you got time to help debugging just stay away from it and export with TIG's plugin or any OBJ exporter to standalone which is super stable. The plugin never worked out for me since the beginning, I only use it to get the scatter node for vegetation or lights or any high-poly repeating geometries which are too slow to export.

Haha - funny you should mention, I was on the beta test list and had time but just stopped getting emails so I'm trying to post here instead :) - the problem with the stand alone is still the back and forward and lack of gizmo, and when you're in preliminary stages of set design (where everything needs to be placed accurately and dimensioned in CAD) with changes every few hours it becomes a bit of a nightmare to juggle (especially with un-named geo) and you lose time. My faith is still in this engine complimenting the work process and saving me hours of uncertainty but as we know it's been a long process - I still have hope and am very excited ;) I'm going to look into TIG's plugin today though thanks! What is the plugin called exactly?

- Rich
-rb-
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchMP » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:11 pm

ArchMP Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:11 pm
-rb- wrote:
What is the plugin called exactly?

- Rich

http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33448
ArchMP
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Notiusweb Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:24 pm
Post by CaptainCrowbar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:25 am
Just a quick update: We're currently testing internally a new build that links multiple camera views in SU to separate render targets in Octane (among other changes, including the "reset scene" option Notiusweb requested). Of course we're also looking into the stability issues some of you are having. We plan to make a public test release early next week.

Wow, Great! Very exciting!
Looking forward to having the isolated material picker too, this will be a big help, as exporting to standalone also gives you the unified material list all at once like the plugin.
Will definitely be watching for updates to come!
Awesome, thanks!
-Notiusweb
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oscartung » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:44 am

oscartung Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:44 am
-rb- wrote:
oscartung wrote:

- Rich

Haha - funny you should mention, I was on the beta test list and had time but just stopped getting emails so I'm trying to post here instead :) - the problem with the stand alone is still the back and forward and lack of gizmo, and when you're in preliminary stages of set design (where everything needs to be placed accurately and dimensioned in CAD) with changes every few hours it becomes a bit of a nightmare to juggle (especially with un-named geo) and you lose time. My faith is still in this engine complimenting the work process and saving me hours of uncertainty but as we know it's been a long process - I still have hope and am very excited ;) I'm going to look into TIG's plugin today though thanks! What is the plugin called exactly?

- Rich

I understand your dilemma with the back and forth exporting with standalone. Back and forth is inevitable but if you organize your model correctly and only export selected instead of the whole model it should be pretty quick.

Lack of gizmo sucks I know so I try to place everything more or less correctly in sketchup, for minor adjustments I just add a placement node in standalone.

If you look at the render i posted above I use the TIG exporter for simple geometries like structure, ground..etc
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38735&p=215385&hilit=tig+sketchup+plugin#p174650

For high poly geometries with more complicated UVs like the trees I use thomthom's quadface tool. This exporter is very fast but it all the material needs to be applied at the base level of the geometries and N-gons with holes doesn't work you need to convert it to quads.
https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/quadface-tools

And of course I use instance so I just copy the scatter node from the plugin and paste it into standalone. This is took me around 1 day from start to finish, I know the workflow is not perfect but for me still faster than doing it in max.
oscartung
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp